Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How many games did Beams play for us.. I'd take 1 Beams game over 9 Jordan Russell games.. Russell was the biggest kreas I've ever seen.. the bloke would get the pill.. stand statuesque for a good 2 secs waiting to get mauled in a tackle.. or would Appleby/Crocker like turn it over for no good reason..

How many games did Beams play for us.. I'd take 1 Beams game over 9 Jordan Russell games.. Russell was the biggest kreas I've ever seen.. the bloke would get the pill.. stand statuesque for a good 2 secs waiting to get mauled in a tackle.. or would Appleby/Crocker like turn it over for no good reason..
Think we got much better value out of Russell than Beams. Russell cost nothing, Beams cost two top 20 picks.

One pick was what he was worth, two was criminal negligence, and that is regardless of how things turned out. Two first round picks for a player too close to 30 is poor list management.

Think we got much better value out of Russell than Beams. Russell cost nothing, Beams cost two top 20 picks.

One pick was what he was worth, two was criminal negligence, and that is regardless of how things turned out. Two first round picks for a player too close to 30 is poor list management.

Regardless.. the deal was done.. might have been the missing piece we needed. Didn't work out.

Over time what are 2 top 20 picks worth say if they turn out to be guns.. or not.. salary cap pressure.. squeezing players out to accommodate for em.. losing quality players as a result.. generally speaking.. I'm not a great big fan of the draft.. there are so many variables involved here.. not just.. ehhhh we just gave up 2 top 20s..

Regardless.. the deal was done.. might have been the missing piece we needed. Didn't work out.

Over time what are 2 top 20 picks worth say if they turn out to be guns.. or not.. salary cap pressure.. squeezing players out to accommodate for em.. losing quality players as a result.. generally speaking.. I'm not a great big fan of the draft.. there are so many variables involved here.. not just.. ehhhh we just gave up 2 top 20s..
I never thought it was what we needed. His style of play did not offer anything different to what we had and he has been battered over many years of his career. We were short of KPs or if a mid, maybe one with some outside speed. If he and Sidey had not wanted him to come back to us, he would not have been on the priority list of recruits. He had known issues too.

So it's a bad thing if your top draft picks turn out to be guns because that'll create salary cap pressure...?

It's not the deal that was the problem, it was the ridiculous price for someone we really didn't need and who was about to hit 30 with massive off-field issues.

So it's a bad thing if your top draft picks turn out to be guns because that'll create salary cap pressure...?

It's not the deal that was the problem, it was the ridiculous price for someone we really didn't need and who was about to hit 30 with massive off-field issues.

No use crying over spilt milk.. get on with it re.. treat it like it's water under the bridge. That type of s**t. It's now obvious that it was a bad decision to get Beams.. but you can turn it around very quickly. Good insight.. management.. I'm not going to sit here and explain it all to you.. but you get my drift.

1 top 20 pick. The 2018 first rounder ended up being pick 21. I don’t mind people being unhappy with the trade, but don’t change facts to make it sound even worse than it actually was.

1 top 20 pick. The 2018 first rounder ended up being pick 21. I don’t mind people being unhappy with the trade, but don’t change facts to make it sound even worse than it actually was.
Nevertheless it was a really bad trade. I am in agreement with AndrewShawble above your post. We need to get him off the list so that Beams, his art work and classes, and all the negative baggage that he carries can be moved out of sight and mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did the 2019 pick end up? Probably somewhere similar.

s**t trade that didn't work out, but hardly the end of the world.

No one is denying that it was a very poor trade. That's a no brainer. However once it was done, well buyer beware. So must Beams take sole responsibility for this poor trade and just walk away?
No but that doesn't stop me wishing he was gone already! His manner of leaving the club some years back lost him my support. I will never understand why he was traded back in.

Where did the 2019 pick end up? Probably somewhere similar.

s**t trade that didn't work out, but hardly the end of the world.
18. We missed out on Giorgiades with that one so it hurt a bit, but 21 in 2018 was meh anyway imo.

No one is denying that it was a very poor trade. That's a no brainer. However once it was done, well buyer beware. So must Beams take sole responsibility for this poor trade and just walk away?
Yes. It’s not just the trade — he’s obviously not available to play.

No but that doesn't stop me wishing he was gone already! His manner of leaving the club some years back lost him my support. I will never understand why he was traded back in.

Well that we agree on. The thing is when you query the efficacy of this trade, and suggest that just maybe the big fella (not Buckley) had a significant role to play, then you get hosed down. It was a poor trade and was always going to be a poor trade however there is zero accountability. So now the club pays the price of still having him on the list.

18. We missed out on Giorgiades with that one so it hurt a bit, but 21 in 2018 was meh anyway imo.

The real opportunity cost was packaging them up and trading higher into the 2019 draft. In a retrospective wonderland, trade 2018 into a 2019 late first rounder and we would have ended up with similar chips to what GWS paid for pick 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back