Review The joke, the fools and the jester vs Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Brien will be ok - he got beat. But this smackdown of RoB started in the pre-season game

RoB needs to adjust or be better around the grounds - our midfielders also need to adjust
ROBs main failing is in the centre square. The rest of his game is very solid, bar the very inconsistent kick.

We've gone from winning poor clearances under Sauce, to winning very few under ROB. And I'm not convinced it's solely due to the players

Cannot go too far otherwise there is no learning via osmosis, just headless chickens no on field mentoring and leadership ala the demons and blues.
There is currently no onfield mentoring and the things the do learn carry the losing taint of 2017 and that Gold coast camp. Need to eradicate those things for a truly fresh and new start.

Having a bad affect on his stats too. The old Brodie - run in and bomb the ball to a boundary contest was always a good stat padder for him
I found it comforting that in this time of uncertainty, and after nearly all of our coaches have been turned over, we're still sticking like glue to our old faithful kick in strategy of "bomb it long and to the right".

I would like to congratulate Will Hamill on his first game, he took the game on and tried to run and carry. How this kid couldn't get a game last year is beyond me.
The reason he couldn't get a game last season is the exact reason we are where we are. Countless years of those types of decision have added up.

We've had some success doing things our way, but those fleeting good/solid years have come at massive, massive cost.

We're reaping what we've sowed

I would like to congratulate Will Hamill on his first game, he took the game on and tried to run and carry. How this kid couldn't get a game last year is beyond me.
He was our only defender who, when he got the ball, tried to make something happen and get things going. Can't wait for him to have quite a few games under his belt.

There is currently no onfield mentoring and the things the do learn carry the losing taint of 2017 and that Gold coast camp. Need to eradicate those things for a truly fresh and new start.
It's going happen (or should) over the next 2 seasons. And 2 players, Walker and Gibbs should probably both retire a year early at the end of this season. Walker has already openly discussed retirement.

Not playing youngsters when they deserved it - showing promise, got talent, playing well at SANFL level - means that now we're forced into promoting kids when they don't deserve it.

We're playing rebuild catch up Melbourne/Carlton style rather than shrewd investment Hawthorn/Collingwood style.

I did see Doedee getting around McAsey, calmly talking to him after Ben King had taken another mark on him.

Hated the lack of reaction after Keays kicked that nice goal on the run. What a dispirited group of players.

On O'Brien... overall decent game but I reckon there were some incidents that Blight would have used to 'make him' as a player.

First bounce of the game he's sat on his backside by Witts who steamrolls him, Gold Coast clearance and the game is in motion.

Start of 2nd quarter was similar from memory (I won't be watching the replay to check).

These moments help set the tone and I reckon Blighty would have savaged him and it would never ever happen again in his entire career. Negatives become a player-defining positive.

Over to you Doc and Nicksy...?

On O'Brien... overall decent game but I reckon there were some incidents that Blight would have used to 'make him' as a player.

First bounce of the game he's sat on his backside by Witts who steamrolls him, Gold Coast clearance and the game is in motion.

Start of 2nd quarter was similar from memory (I won't be watching the replay to check).

These moments help set the tone and I reckon Blighty would have savaged him and it would never ever happen again in his entire career. Negatives become a player-defining positive.

I’ve got no doubt doc will savage him...

Hated the lack of reaction after Keays kicked that nice goal on the run. What a dispirited group of players.
We look shell-shocked

Will be easy to slip into self-preservation mode which was one of the big takeaways from the review.

Who are the team guys who will help dig us out of this?

Who are the self guys who will fall behind "I played my role" and just try to stay in the 22?

Moments...that 1st bounce was like the infamous Harmison wide to start an Ashes series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's that. But IMHO the worst case in Nicks and/or the club's eyes would be: Dropping players, then getting the same "lack of effort" and everybody realising the extent to which its structure and gameplan that are the problem.
I haven't watched the presser, but if there was any mention of "lack of effort" then we are simply trying to solve the wrong problem.

It really is a lack of game plan first, dumb football second, lack of personnel third before it gets to the perceived lack of effort. It looked to me like most of our guys were busting a gut, but when everything else is below AFL standard, lack of effort is the go to excuse.

Players are all over the place with seemingly no structure at all, not positioning themselves at the fall of the ball in ruck contests, and marking contests, or when the ball is in a scrum. Are we still that dumb that we dive on the ball in the 'scrums'? Yes, yes we are. In fact, at a contest the majority our guys all go in for the ball and when we do win it, there's nobody to give it to because the cavalry is too slow to arrive and we're caught again with no-one on the outside.

But what about our forward system going into the 50. There is no system. It is so easy to defend and crush.

I remember not so long ago it used to look like we had an endless supply of players in the right positions being next in line to back up or to be in a place for an escape route if it was needed, or tearing past for a handball, or free out in the open.

Fun times ahead.

Last edited:
The few times we ran forward with purpose we looked good.

I don't understand why we don't attack the goal mouth more often and quicker.

Even with poor forward structure (Why was Murphy surrounded by five Suns with nonTex or Fog within 20 metres for one entry) and poor skills, you create chances. Far more.than trying to be precise and slow.

With shortened quarters, playing kids and no expectation to win this year, the direction should be to be to generate as many deep I50s as possible.

Forget the scoreboard and the risk of a quick turnover goal. Just hit the goal mouth with repeat deep I50s.

Bring fun back. Lift the mood. Thus season is a free hit. Treat it that way.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We look shell-shocked

Will be easy to slip into self-preservation mode which was one of the big takeaways from the review.

Who are the team guys who will help dig us out of this?

Who are the self guys who will fall behind "I played my role" and just try to stay in the 22?

Again it has to be our senior players who have put the line in the sand and be part of the solution.
If not then they shouldn’t be playing AFL footy.
The Gold Coast camp fractured the group in 2018, the group must heal up there in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I cannot like this enough, the on-field leadership has been non-existent over the last two weeks (7 players in today’s team have been selected as All-Aus or in All-Aus squad) and it’s evident that our off-field leaders can’t read the room. As a long time member I can handle a rebuild but not the witches hats rubbish currently being dished up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's also what cost us when it mattered most in 2017. Our on field leadership has been awful.
Tex might be a great bloke around the club, but if he isn't playing well, he goes in to his shell and disappears.

We literally don't have a single clear leader. I'm talking a real, rally the troops leader (think Hodge). Sloane would have been like that, but his body is now cooked.

We're already stuck with paying salaries for Betts & Jenkins, and have Gibbs & Walker both contracted for 2021, because JR gave them all contracts that were 1-2 years too long... and you think they should have given a 28yo Greenwood a 4-year contract? **** no.
JR didn't give them those contracts - our Director of Footy runs List Management Committee and the CEO sits on it. Those contracts are on Roo and Fagan, not Reid.

Are you advocating for us to go after Ross Lyon?
Not as a Senior Coach, but I wouldn't be against signing him as an Assistant.

We have a rookie senior coach, who is surrounded by assistants who (through incompetence or inexperience) provide little in the way of assistance. Nicks is out of his depth, and the Football Department isn't even providing him with a life jacket.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The few times we ran forward with purpose we looked good.

I don't understand why we don't attack the goal mouth more often and quicker.

Even with poor forward structure (Why was Murphy surrounded by five Suns with nonTex or Fog within 20 metres for one entry) and poor skills, you create chances. Far more.than trying to be precise and slow.

With shortened quarters, playing kids and no expectation to win this year, the direction should be to be to generate as many deep I50s as possible.

Forget the scoreboard and the risk of a quick turnover goal. Just hit the goal mouth with repeat deep I50s.

Bring fun back. Lift the mood. Thus season is a free hit. Treat it that way.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Deep I50? Right now we're struggling to get the ball past the centre circle. It's hard to get it deep I50, when the ball is spending 80% of the time deep in the opposition's forward half.

Sorry for intrusion, has Poholke played at all this season?
If not, why not? Surely he is given a go or have his papers been stamped?
He hasn't been selected because he's a good SANFL level player, who doesn't have what it takes to make it at AFL level.

His papers are probably stamped, but we have a huge number of players in the exit line this year, so he may get another year while we clear the log jam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back