Strategy Which Coaching Staff Should We Be Targetting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching panel I’d like

Senior- Nicks (still not my first choice - would’ve backed in Mark Stone)

Senior Assistant- Leigh Tudor
Mids - Lenny Hayes
Def - Nathan Bassett
Fwd- Taylor Walker (early retirement from playing )
Ruck - Doc Clarke stays

Coaching director brought in to oversee them all - Paul Roos

Bit left field but whats Roy Laird up to these days? Ex SANFL but good record.

I think that’s the point. If somebody is choosing between a reduced role/salary maybe we can land someone of quality who wouldn’t under normal circumstances consider a move to SA.

I think the trouble is how many of them are likely to want to move to Adelaide? It really is the same situation as key / star players in their prime - unless they are South Aussies we are never really in the conversation.

Problem we have is 2 fold:

1. It’s SA, so that limits just by itself; and
2. We did attract a high quality assistant from interstate - Josh Francou. Couldn’t stand the place and couldn’t get out quick enough. If there is any kind of coaching grapevine that’s going to be hard to overcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Senior Assistant:
Brad Scott (AFL) - Unsure if he would leave a cushy AFL job to move to Adelaide, but if he still has an interest in coaching he's one I would look at. Could play the tough cop to Nicky's good cop and would have great contacts in the league and AFL house.
John Barker (AFL) - Has been around a fair while and even briefly was an interim coach. Would have experience building up a young side and could assist the midfield coach with stoppages.
Paul Roos (None) - Has taken a break from Fox Footy work as far as I know. Would have coached Nicks for a few years, could play a mentor role to him again.

The last person you would want to appoint is John Barker, have never liked him and he still stays on at my club. Must have some photos of someone somewhere hidden.

Paul Roos has the experience but would he move to Adelaide and would he be prepared to play second banana to Nicks ?? Unless you put $1mill on the table, I don't think so.

Brad Scott sounds like a good option but I too can't see him leaving Melbourne and the cosy gig in AFLHQ.

Where is Neil Craig these days ?? Always came across as a guy with strong integrity & purpose, you could do a lot worse than having him in your corner again.

The last person you would want to appoint is John Barker, have never liked him and he still stays on at my club. Must have some photos of someone somewhere hidden.

Paul Roos has the experience but would he move to Adelaide and would he be prepared to play second banana to Nicks ?? Unless you put $1mill on the table, I don't think so.

Brad Scott sounds like a good option but I too can't see him leaving Melbourne and the cosy gig in AFLHQ.

Where is Neil Craig these days ?? Always came across as a guy with strong integrity & purpose, you could do a lot worse than having him in your corner again.

In reality I think Neil Craig was a better assistant coach than head coach, at least he had a clear game plan though. Would be unlikely to come back to the Crows.

Realised I had a typo in the OP, had written Barker as AFL instead of Carlton, thanks. I'd heard good things about Barker from a mate who worked with the club, but I'm not a Blues supporter so hard to know.

As much as it pains me to say it, I actually think Scott would be great for us. But unless he misses coaching I have no idea why he'd leave an easy gig at HQ to come here.

If we can find the money there are a few to choose from and moving to Adelaide gives them a chance they may not get elsewhere
Yep, and probably fair to say that we might get access to people willing to come here in off field roles that may not have been the case pre-CoVid

You’re out of a job, you’ve got a family and you’re living in Melbourne right now - suddenly Adelaide looks more attractive than usual
Suspect it may be a good thing longer term. Might find more players going back to state leagues if they want to pursue a coaching career

If a new chairman does indeed come in he might want to splash some cash as a feel good story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back