Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

positive stuff

B Long’s best game by a mile

Dan Butler is worth his weight in gold

Roma is stamping his authority on games big time, kick straight and he is a superstar

Paddy is so important for this team and it shows how much the players get around him

Lonie was effective despite being a little light on in tackles. Will and should keep his spot

less positive stuff

Steele probably had his least effective game but still went ok - apart from the 2 turn overs

Midfield as a group need more intensity. Jones looks a little flat.

Rabbott, Phillips and Marsh are back up but handy

Game style has become as enjoyable as having your teeth extracted with your old man’s work pliers.

Bagging our gamestyle and saying it won’t hold water in finals. Maybe so Clarko that’s yet to be seen, it felt more of a swipe at a certain ex assistant coach to be honest
He's turned into a bitter old man

I don't think anyone is expecting us to make a huge splash if we make finals. We just have to worry about getting a taste after 9 years.

Glad to see Sinclair keeping his spot. Always thought he'd be good enough.

We had a few do some smart things that stood out today, Sincs, Hill, Kent, Marsh to name a few - holding the ball or riding a tackle, drawing their opponent then dishing it out. Something that always seems to be used against us more than by us.

Yeah I rated Sinclair when he first came on the scene a few years ago but for whatever reason he seemed to have lost his mojo.

He has started to get back to the player he looked like being back then, he could be another Steele imo he is that good.

Hope the Lonie haters can settle for a week.

He was one of only a few who were switched on from the start.

Yeah he was good today, kicked 2 goals and set the standard early on with his workrate and pressure.

Brad Johnson was glowing in his praise of Lonie and Brad Johnson was about as good as it gets in that half forward role.

Kent was very good too in that role too, he was almost a midfielder he pushed up that high.

Long term... Marshall forward or ruck?
Forward/ruck. Ratts looks committed to two ruckmen and I’m not sure if there’ll be a better one than Rowan.

He's both and ironically i think Max King is as well from his small sample size rucking. We has two Paul Salmons running around for us!

Marshall is a tough one. He showed a lot of forward craft at Sandy, kicked multiple goals a few times. He is a weapon up forward. But he is not bad around the ground. I think his actual ruck work is a long way off Gawn, NicNat and .....Ryder. So question for me would be, how long has Ryder got in him? Cos while Ryder is playing I think we can afford Marshall at FF and changing.

Just watched the press conferences. Not sure why Clarko wants to comment on our game style and future prospects. Great coach and all that but he's a narky little individual.

EDIT...Liked Ratts response when asked about Clarko's comment. 'He needs to worry about his own team'.

Bagging our gamestyle and saying it won’t hold water in finals. Maybe so Clarko that’s yet to be seen, it felt more of a swipe at a certain ex assistant coach to be honest

He really is not a gracious loser at all, is he?
He’s taken swipes at Longmuir and the umps and whinged to the AFL.
Salty little man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Throwing around a lot of opinions this year Clarko. Reckon the legendary coach is upset his team is rubbish even after they got so many big name recruits.
Like the way rats returned serve in his conference 👌

What did he say?
What’s this
Typical BigFooty overreaction.

Said we are a good side, we controlled the ball in the second quarter but couldn't capitalise so he was pleased with Hawthorn's effort but didn't take their own chances either.

Said we played keepings off in the second quarter but doesn't think the method will kick enough goals to win games. Said we hurt them out the back and off the back of good pressure. Said we have speed in our front end and we were able to do it easily.

Said we would've been concerned at quarter time with the high scoring nature of the game and the Hawks kicking 5 goals in the first quarter, and said it was a success for us that we were able to slow the play down and eventually win the game. Said it will be interesting to see if that method works in finals but it worked today. He said whilst we didn't score much, he admits Hawthorn didn't either and that was good coaching by Ratts. Said some of their inaccuracy came from our pressure.

Hardly anything disgraceful, in fact I probably agree with everything he said.

And as if he would openly criticise good friends of his (Ratten, Rath, Roughead).

Was a nothing presser.

Said we are a good side, we controlled the ball in the second quarter but couldn't capitalise so he was pleased with Hawthorn's effort but didn't take their own chances either.

Said we played keepings off in the second quarter but doesn't think the method will kick enough goals to win games. Said we hurt them out the back and off the back of good pressure. Said we have speed in our front end and we were able to do it easily.

Said we would've been concerned at quarter time with the high scoring nature of the game and the Hawks kicking 5 goals in the first quarter, and said it was a success for us that we were able to slow the play down and eventually win the game. Said it will be interesting to see if that method works in finals but it worked today. He said whilst we didn't score much, he admits Hawthorn didn't either and that was good coaching by Ratts. Said some of their inaccuracy came from our pressure.

And as if he would openly criticise good friends of his (Ratten, Rath, Roughead).

Was a nothing presser.

Don’t agree George, seems to me he reverted to his typical sniping ways.
In any event, 4 points is banked and we move on.

Sincs is resembling Ayres with the hair and his calves. He's had a few good weeks
Same issue as always with Sinclair. He’s extremely good when he gets it but he just doesn’t get it enough. Hit his average today with 14 touches, just not good enough.

Don’t agree George, seems to me he reverted to his typical sniping ways.
In any event, 4 points is banked and we move on.
He was actually very positive about us. It was one comment in an 8 minute press conference. He was right, too. We won't win big games playing safe.

He is if he uses the 14 like he did today.

Well sublime usage is good, not sure if Sincs is there. He’s a nice 15 metre kick.

But 14 disposals is not there as a 2020 mid in the AFL unless there are 5 or 6 score involvements mixed in there.

Ratts saw in the first half that the Hawks were moving it freely out the middle from the centre bounce as they had a spare out the back.

So at half time he made a change, for Kent to sprint from the forward 50 to the contest as soon as the ball was bounced to even up the numbers. Worked a treat, Kent pulled us back into the game with his pressure and smart play.

Long had an excellent game, as did Ross, Marshall and Steele.

Marsh looked excellent when he got it, he has so much upper body strength he can just shrug off tackles. Unfortunately he can’t get himself in the right spot to get more of it.

Abbott was a traffic cone until his cheap goal, no offence to the lad. Howard’s first half was diabolical, and Phillips disposal went backwards in efficiency today.

Changes: Out- Phillips, Abbott, Marsh
In- Carlisle, King, Membrey

This is assuming Carlisle is actually fit to play as I heard he had some back tightness throughout the week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was a nothing presser.

Ratts, when asked about Clarko questioning whether our game would stand up in finals, “well we’ll just focus on what we can do and maybe they should too.”

Classy response from Ratts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back