Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree surely game day thread is a place to vent our feelings on the game, good and bad? Just like when you’re at the match!
+1 to this. Its like a roller-coaster. Bit unfair to look back on it and start criticising people.

Its like being the guy on the ground laughing at those who actually went on the ride.

I said it when we drafted him but Coffield is Jack Sinclair in Kyle Langford's body. He just gets better and better, I love it. His confidence is great and his hands in traffic and marking are getting better and better.

Today we had some passengers and we had some guys who stood up. Unfortunately we are gonna need more complete team performances to get into finals.

I though Howard really struggles today and I think the backline worked best with him and Carlisle together.
Marsh and Abbot had maybe 2/3 moments between them. Unfortunately it's not enough. Phillips is interesting becasue for such a great runner his acceleration is really poor.

Marshall, Coffield, Steele, Hill, Ryder, Sinclair, Long I though were pretty clearly in our best

Kent and Lonie, Ross the next rung not far below.

Our midfield needs to be more weary of other teams trying to spread us out via the handball and defend much better.

I still think we are getting way to close to the man on the mark when we are kicking. Pato, Gears leading culprits.

Then it got a bit
Hes an absolute star. Always said if we can't turn coffield into a good player then we should just shut the club down. He was that talented in U18s.

Gone past clark right now.

Considering we basically had a makeshift fwd line with no experience and we still managed 25 shots at goal I'm happy.

If king and skunk had of played today we'd have won by a lot more no doubt.

Tempo footy is done by all the good teams now, it's getting the balance right that's the hard part.

On DUB-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was just disagreeing with what he said about no individuals back there winning their position, when between them, Coff and Long had 39 disposals, 17 marks and 14 intercepts and were two of our best.
Have to also factor in scores against though. Itd be interesting to know where the weak leaks are coming from with these pile on of goals.

I say the penny has dropped for Coffield with three of his last four scoring 100 supercoach and he's still just 20! Won't see his ceiling till 2022 and 50+ games in so exciting times for him and us. It's really neat how he is impacting forward thrusts from the opposition in the same manner as a very good 100+ game KPD.
We need to look for coffield starting to spend minutes inside in the off season. See what he can do with having a crack in there at training.

Ratts saw in the first half that the Hawks were moving it freely out the middle from the centre bounce as they had a spare out the back.

So at half time he made a change, for Kent to sprint from the forward 50 to the contest as soon as the ball was bounced to even up the numbers. Worked a treat, Kent pulled us back into the game with his pressure and smart play.

Long had an excellent game, as did Ross, Marshall and Steele.

Marsh looked excellent when he got it, he has so much upper body strength he can just shrug off tackles. Unfortunately he can’t get himself in the right spot to get more of it.

Abbott was a traffic cone until his cheap goal, no offence to the lad. Howard’s first half was diabolical, and Phillips disposal went backwards in efficiency today.

Changes: Out- Phillips, Abbott, Marsh
In- Carlisle, King, Membrey

This is assuming Carlisle is actually fit to play as I heard he had some back tightness throughout the week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That comment about Kent is absolutely spot on. Weve missed that lately. When we were up and about we had Long attacking the cneter stoppage like a man possessed. Like he needed kills to survive.

Funny how the momentum started to change when Kent started doing it again.

We need to start attacking the contest harder and with more intent.

Other issue today is the amount of poor tackles. How many good opportunities did we waste because we couldnt lay an effective tackle. Sometimes we failed 3-4 times in a row on the same oppo player. Stick it the 1st or 2nd time and we get a much different outcome.

The decision to get Paddy Ryder in the off season has worked really well so far. Playing well himself, giving Ro a chop out and Ro going forward well.
Added the experience he will gain working with Paddy and it has worked much better than expected.
So much this and you know what I reckon if we had just marshall I dont reckon it would have been as effective just in terms of ruck work.

Ryder can really take on the big brutes which i think Romo can struggle with.

We were poor, however did the Hawks not get lucky with the bounce or break of the ball at times. Just opened us up and on they went.

looks like we will need 4 more points unless the dockers do us a favour. But I think it’s really important to point out that 4 out of our last 5 have resulted in some of our worst goal kicking all year.

kick straight when it mattered and we are probably sitting in the top 4. Kick straight in the 2nd or 3rd quarters today and we steam roll the hawks.

just need to regain our composure infront of the sticks and we will be okay.

I’m not sure they are scoring nearly every time they go in. Today 5 of the 9 goals they scored came at stoppages. That’s hardly a backs fault.
21 scoring shots from 42 entries. You’re a maths man I know so that’s 50% against an incredibly crap team. Good teams wouldn’t allow anything near that percentage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to look for coffield starting to spend minutes inside in the off season. See what he can do with having a crack in there at training.

Not sure what the fascination is with moving players into the midfield,not everyone is a genuine midfielder he looks comfortable & composed down back he stays there for 10 years.

Agree with a lot of this.

We really need 1 genuine match winning mid to go with steele. Then need a genuine small forward who can trouble the score board.

Winger would be nice too.

Agree on Lonie. We are wasting our time.

Think geary is done next year.
So we are wasting our time with lonie? What do you suggest we do?

Not sure what the fascination is with moving players into the midfield,not everyone is a genuine midfielder he looks comfortable & composed down back he stays there for 10 years.

Obsession is coming from seeing what he was capable of at U18 level along with the attributes he has.

He got a good side and frame but better than that he has unbelievable awareness. He knows where his team mates are at all times and know where the oppo is moving.

Theyre attributes you want in a tall inside mid.

The fascination is that games are won and lost in there. It would be disappointing if at least one of them didn’t become a gun midfielder. Personally would keep Coffield on a back flank and look to make Clark a mid.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but playing Phillips is doing an absolute disservice to our midfield...

It makes Billings a victim of his flexibility and though he's dangerous in the forward line, we're desperate for quality in the middle of the ground with Gresham and Hanners out...

Phillips out, Hind in and Billings back to a wing please where he was in AA contention

Remove this Banner Ad

Back