Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew he could play I just couldn't see how he wouldn't stall Roma's progress. He's turned them into an incredible duo instead. The guy is quiet and humble off field but plays like a demon when there is something to play for. Port were nuts for letting him go and bringing Lycett in to play predominantly in the ruck. It's like replacing a magnum with a water pistol.

Ryder has surprised everyone. Even me, and it takes a lot for me to be wowed by things, let alone people. I understood the value of getting him, and thought that he'd play around ten games during the season, and that Marshall's game would become more nuanced due to training together. I never thought that Ryder would not only wind the clock back, but rearrange time itself. The guy is a bonafide star and warrior. Love watching him play. Pure presence, and skill.
The fact that Marshall has become a legend in his own right is another topic.

Last edited:

Kept last years Grand Finalists goalless for an entire half of football, and they were only missing Ward and Davis, while we were missing Gresham.

That’s pretty pleasing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Unfortunately they did kick 5 more behinds than last years grand final. We need to tighten up our defence.

I tell you what, those Queensland supporters are elite. They sounded like a 3/4 full stadium with their booing the umps and cheering. They'd pan over and there was hardly anyone there. For noise to bodies ratio they were huge. I'm sure some was canned crowd noise as well but they don't play booing as far as I know.

Someone said Howard wouldn't be quick enough to go to Kennedy last week.

In two weeks he's out ran Liam Ryan in a 50m sprint and then ran straight past whoever that other cocko was tonight
Don’t expect to see him in the Grand Final Sprint ..... him and his teammates will have another engagement that day.

Ryder has surprised everyone. Even me, and it takes a lot for me to be wowed by things, let alone people. I understood the value of getting him, and thought that he'd play around ten games during the season, and that Marshall's game would become more nuanced due to training together. I never thought that Ryder would not only wind the click back, but rearrange time itself. The guy is a bonafide star and warrior. Love watching him play. Pure presence, and skill.
The fact that Marshall has become a legend in his own right is another topic.
As per usual if anyone over the age of about 29 has a poor season they get written off by many as "past it", but just like how you can have a poor year at say 25yo and bounce back the following year, you can likewise bounce back even after 30 and have a good one.

Especially if you lose 7kg of what in hindsight was obviously excess bulk that you didn't need to be carrying around!

Second qtr.
Ross to Coniglio, quietened him and began to get his own ball
Battle all over Hayes like a cheap suit
King not being out marked, marking or bringing it to ground.
Backline zoning off well picking up the loose as the other backs pulled up field, one stage Long on Cameron one out and he halves the contest.

Evening up the clearances, Ryder all over Mumford.
Marshall up forward stretching the plastic defence.
Butler and Long really stepped up this qtr, his goal was excellent and just reward for the work up the ground.

I find it a real head-scratcher as to why it took until last week to finally get Hunter into the midfield, but damn am I glad we did.

A midfield rotation in the coming years of Roma/Paddy, Steele, Clark, Jones, Gresham, Hanners (?), Ross, Bytel, Hill, Billings, Sincs and hopefully a Caldwell/Williams looks likely to be far from shabby and bats very very deep.

He's still a work in progress but his work in traffic is so good, a couple of times he wriggled out of traffic amongst a heap of Giants and gets a kick away when it looked like there were nothing but HB options. I remember him in the All Stars game doing the same stuff, just Pendles style slowing play around him.

Steele is so like Lenny Hayes it's scary, just got the quiet humble guy thing down pat, no real party tricks just an absolute warrior. It will take other supporters a while to catch on but plays footy like you love it to be played. Hard, brutal but fair.

Marshall is still working out how good he can be. He's still got scope to be a superstar of the AFL, he's played 50 games and just starting his ascent. Last year he looked like a guy who had just found out he had super powers for the first time. He might be that super star I've been wanting.
Yep, just needs to sell foot candy more often. BEAST

I do like it when Ratts is upstairs coaching and Roughy on the bench

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking of Ross are people still wanting his head? That’s why some guys get more chances than others.
I have been a critic of Ross, after qtr time looks like he went to Conigilio and shut him down completely while getting his own ball.
After Steele our best midfielder and in the top five best

He's still a work in progress but his work in traffic is so good, a couple of times he wriggled out of traffic amongst a heap of Giants and gets a kick away when it looked like there were nothing but HB options. I remember him in the All Stars game doing the same stuff, just Pendles style slowing play around him.
He's a bloody ripper.

He's actually the one that I reckon will be our "next Lenny", although Steele is obviously giving it a good shake as well!

Who goes out for jones?

I don't know pluggs. Thankfully I'm not a selector. I know you said Carlisle out for Jones, but I personally think they are two very different fishes in two very different ponds.
That said, I still can't answer your question. Maybe Sincs...but he hardly deserves it. Possibly Kent, but Kent did some okay things.
I'm happy to throw this one out to the board. Have at it ladies & gents.

Kept last years Grand Finalists goalless for an entire half of football, and they were only missing Ward and Davis, while we were missing Gresham.

That’s pretty pleasing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You know, I “forgot” we were missing Gresh and Jones - OK, maybe I didn’t, but the commentators certainly did when just they mentioned who the Giants were missing.

What a shocking commentary team. Appeared to be barracking big time for the Giants. But I don’t care, because for once the umps seemed to be a bit more our way. I only know that because I didn’t yell at the TV too much.

Thought he was in best 3 last night But it could have been a great game. Just wasn’t quite on with his marking. He is a potential star for sure. So good in close for a big guy.

Yet he still only had one less possession than Ross our highest possession getter, same amount as Steele, had our highest AF score, kicked 1.1 and had plenty of little bits of link up work. He's already so good that's one of his average games. Imagine in another year when he's played around 70 games. He's rising through the ranks like a rocket.

I have been a critic of Ross, after qtr time looks like he went to Conigilio and shut him down completely while getting his own ball.
After Steele our best midfielder and in the top five best
I actually had him in the top 3. Thought it was his best game for the year. All goes well if we get jones back. All of a sudden a few mids in form.

Watching the replay now, after Steele kicked his 2nd he looked up to the top level of the stands a blew a kiss to the Saints fans cheering us on. Bloody hell. I can't stop crying hahaha

I don't know pluggs. Thankfully I'm not a selector. I know you said Carlisle out for Jones, but I personally think they are two very different fishes in two very different ponds.
That said, I still can't answer your question. Maybe Sincs...but he hardly deserves it. Possibly Kent, but Kent did some okay things.
I'm happy to throw this one out to the board. Have at it ladies & gents.
Obviously completely different players but if we play the pies who does Carlisle go to? By the way I’m a huge Carlisle fan but I just see a match up

I tell you what, those Queensland supporters are elite. They sounded like a 3/4 full stadium with their booing the umps and cheering. They'd pan over and there was hardly anyone there. For noise to bodies ratio they were huge. I'm sure some was canned crowd noise as well but they don't play booing as far as I know.

They were amazing!
I loved the woman with the sign which said “cheering for all the Victorian Saints.”
Don’t know if any of you guys were there, but I’m betting the team felt the love in a big way. Great work by the Qld fans.

Who goes out for jones?

Whoever it is, they will be very stiff after last night let's say that much. I think Kent is the obvious one

Winx needs to get back to goal kicking practice with roughie.

It's great that he's getting a look but… you need to take your chances against good sides.

The last 4 games he's kicked 2 goals from 12 shots on goal.

Looked like his marking was back last night. Hopefully another two weeks with Roughie and he'll get his goalkicking back too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back