Congrats Port Adelaide 2020 McClelland Trophy Winners!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it should go to that extreme but perhaps a short presentation with the Captain and Coach to present the trophy before the next match might give it some good recognition.
the only way you will increase its importance in line with the entire seasons worth of effort it takes to win is by incentivising it.

i think it should be worth as much as a grand final.

For the supposed easy run that Port have had, not much really gets said about the fact we still only played 7 games in Adelaide (only 2 more home games than Richmond who played 5 in Melbourne).
don't bring us into it, means you had 6 home games against interstate clubs, something every team would envy. p.s. we had zero.

but you won when you needed to, congrats on the mclelland, well deserved

the only way you will increase its importance in line with the entire seasons worth of effort it takes to win is by incentivising it.

i think it should be worth as much as a grand final.
I heard some of the pundits on radio recently making the case for a cash prize for finishing top. Somewhere in the vicinity of a few hundred K.

I actually think that concept could be extended down the ladder with a sliding scale for every ladder position, in order to create a financial incentive for every club to finish strongly instead of putting players out to surgery earlier or tanking.

You could mount the case that it would be counter-productive to equalisation, but I think draft positions alone are enough for that

I heard some of the pundits on radio recently making the case for a cash prize for finishing top. Somewhere in the vicinity of a few hundred K.

I actually think that concept could be extended down the ladder with a sliding scale for every ladder position, in order to create a financial incentive for every club to finish strongly instead of putting players out to surgery earlier or tanking.

You could mount the case that it would be counter-productive to equalisation, but I think draft positions alone are enough for that
like it.

But when the Adelaide media is kicking off the finals by focusing on the same stat you've highlighted, it's clear that people don't want us to win. And I'm not entirely sure why.
The reason is obvious.
The Adelaide media is all Crow and they finished bottom and will be hoping and praying that Port get knocked out
Port winning the premiership in a crows spoon year would be their worst nightmare

again....4 vs co-tenants and one game at marvel....enjoy your wins and leave us out of it
Can we all, as in the WHOLE COUNTRY of supporters draw out the same excuses as you are currently displaying? The semantics are beyond informative and are clearly just pathetic. How about you just suck it up and enjoy that we have football in this mire of a year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It means nothing
I agree that it means very little as it stands now.

If the AFL ever decided to go down a division/conference setup (eg 2x9 25 game season or 3x7 26 game season, retaining 4x16 min games) then it would take on some real meaning going into finals (as per MLB/MBA/NFL division/conference titles)

Can we all, as in the WHOLE COUNTRY of supporters draw out the same excuses as you are currently displaying? The semantics are beyond informative and are clearly just pathetic. How about you just suck it up and enjoy that we have football in this mire of a year!
are you slow???? WE aren't using your fixture as an excuse, but your supporters mention our fixture. well done on the year and stop being a flog

True that nobody has been pushing Port’s barrow during the year. It’s a little bizarre. Without looking at the match-ups there must be some chance of a Port v Richmond GF, with most Adelaide supporters ironically hoping Richmond can save them from a summer decade of misery.

FTFY

True that pole position is historically the best position in the race. I'm just allowing a little superstition to enter... out of the past four years, the best we've travelled entering finals was 2018 - the minor premiership/Mason Cox year. Then there was 1982, when we were the best team in it.

Surely 2002-03 hasn't been completely erased from memory? And the percentages of the past three minor premiers were very similar to Port's. Creepy...
1980 we finished 3rd and won the flag, 82 we finished top and Carlton finished 3rd and they won the flag, I have the same dread of top spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back