Past Coach John Blakey - will not be continuing at North in 2024 - Thanks John

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't that essentially what the club did over the preseason with a bigger emphasis on running (which led to a number of injuries)?
Not necessarily. We upped the intensity at training but our conditioning still needed to be worked on.

Some players looked like they put on a few after the long lockdown holiday. I wouldn't be surprised if the work they did during pre-season was reversed after the lockdown.

Sorry for the intrusion. Just seeking to resolve or get clarity (if possible) from Snakey to this... bolded?????

What is "farcical" about Swans academy? Please explain?

Sydney is a very different footy environment to Melbourne.
NEAFL was the best they had ( as magoos comp), not even close to VFL (old version) standard.
Not nearly good enough guns playing to 'test' or raise the standard for developing KPP's

Would North knock back request to trade (unlikely/ impossible) for C Mills?

Rampe, Grundy, Goodes,.... do you want a full list of champions? I think not.

Blakey's credo reputation is ultimate pre game preparation and attitude development. Something the 'clean out' suggests is missing at North
It would not surprise that having approached Paul Roos the reply was "not interested thanks, but second best available would be John Blakey".

Also Lizard grew up following Swans, it is best for him that his dad is not a coach at his desired choice.

The point of the academies being introduced was to entice kids into the sport of AFL and develop their skills to potentially becoming AFL footballers.

The whole set up of the academy can be argued to the cows come home. There are valid points made on either side of the argument.

The biggest gripe North fans have with it is a son of a 300 gamer, 2 time premiership and current assistant coach was eligible for your academy. Did Nick Blakey need exposure to the game of AFL? Did he need help with development? I think we can categorically say no on both counts.

Any sane person should know, that any kid who is eligible for the F/S, already has a massive leg up on a majority of other kids in the country. The AFL should have nipped it in the bud early days. From an outsider looking in, it looks like a massive leg up.

In my opinion the most sensible way for the academies to be run in NSW & QLD, is for it to be run independently by the AFL.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

...............then why do you give this your support?

Because we may as well have a crack at something else. I like the broom approach, bring it on. Naive of me? Maybe. But until I’m prepared to run for the board etc, which I‘m not, then I’ll back in the people we have in place. It’s a sport. Win, lose or draw the club will always have my support. They have given me a lot of great times over the years, so some down times to get thing s right, I’m prepared to cop.
Edit.....BTW I have no idea what that picture is :oops:

Last edited:

Once you expect players and former players to have the same reverence for a club as die hard supporters do, you're generally going to end up disappointed.

Agree, but besides that it would make no sense for him to advise Nick against joining Sydney.

Let’s see, do I advise my son to join a system I’ve been part of for 13 years and trust, not least because I’ve been head of development for the last two years and we keep making finals?

Nah, * that, I’ll tell him to go and join Brad Scott’s system instead because I won a couple of premierships there in a different era. They did manage to limp into finals a couple of years ago. Oh look, their development manager has just left.

The point of the academies being introduced was to entice kids into the sport of AFL and develop their skills to potentially becoming AFL footballers.

The whole set up of the academy can be argued to the cows come home. There are valid points made on either side of the argument.

The biggest gripe North fans have with it is a son of a 300 gamer, 2 time premiership and current assistant coach was eligible for your academy. Did Nick Blakey need exposure to the game of AFL? Did he need help with development? I think we can categorically say no on both counts.

Any sane person should know, that any kid who is eligible for the F/S, already has a massive leg up on a majority of other kids in the country. The AFL should have nipped it in the bud early days. From an outsider looking in, it looks like a massive leg up.

In my opinion the most sensible way for the academies to be run in NSW & QLD, is for it to be run independently by the AFL.

Look they need home grown talent because no one in their right mind would want to live there...
The place would become a revolving door of draftees

So we enticed a man that was never ever coming back to Vic to return. JB 's best friend is Paul Roos, isn't that interesting.

J.B.- "oh something has happened at North".

I'd suggest the wheels have well and truly come off during the Hub. And I'm oh so curious on what went down.
If you're curious, how the * am I supposed to find out?

So we enticed a man that was never ever coming back to Vic to return. JB 's best friend is Paul Roos, isn't that interesting.

I'd suggest the wheels have well and truly come off during the Hub. And I'm oh so curious on what went down.
Why do I feel Paul Roos and the Huddle seem like a PR match made in heaven..

If you're curious, how the fu** am I supposed to find out?

patience cause I'll find out and reckon it will need to be PM central when I do.

Why do I feel Paul Roos and the Huddle seem like a PR match made in heaven..

Good point but I do feel they'll be more pressing matters at hand should Paul turn up at North. s**t I now firmly believe we need him.

Not only did the wheels fall off, the rest of the chassis self combusted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giantroo any chance you can post Jay Clark’s article about Roosy?
North Melbourne has turned to Paul Roos to help lead Rhyce Shaw through a challenging 2021

Jay Clark, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
October 4, 2020 9:50pm

He might be in Hawaii, but that hasn’t stopped a desperate North Melbourne from sounding out legendary mentor Paul Roos in a bid to help Rhyce Shaw fix the mess the club finds itself in after a horror 2020.

North Melbourne has reached out to Sydney Swans’ premiership coach Paul Roos about a mentoring role at the club next season.
The Kangaroos have overhauled their assistant coaching staff and have begun sounding out whether Roos would be interested in returning to club land to help guide senior coach Rhyce Shaw in 2021.

Roos is in Hawaii and is not expected to return home to Australia until early in the new year.

North Melbourne heavyweights are expected to revisit the conversation with Roos in coming weeks after poaching one of his former lieutenants and close friends John Blakey from Sydney Swans to add to Shaw’s assistant coaching panel.

Blakey will replace Jade Rawlings who the Herald Sun revealed had been sacked last week with two years remaining on his contract. Assistants Heath Scotland, Jarred Moore, Jared Rivers, Jason Lappin and Brendan Whitecross are also gone.

Roos, who took the Swans to the 2005 premiership and then led Melbourne out of the darkest chapter of the club’s history, would be able to help the inexperienced Shaw step through the on-field problems and team and list-building challenges North will face next year as the pressure mounts.

He could also help oversee the coaching, fitness and medical departments after a poor year with injury.

Star midfielders Jack Ziebell and Ben Cunnington both experienced recurring injuries this season, sidelining them for key periods of the season.

North Melbourne will face an uphill battle next season as it looks to find as many as 14 new players to fill the list from the trade period and draft next month.

The Roos have already made 11 delistings and are considering trading senior stars Shaun Higgins, Jared Polec and Ben Brown.

Star ruckman Todd Goldstein has not made and moves or plans to switch clubs and is expected to stay at the club for next season.

Melbourne has shown interest in Polec and Brown, while Geelong leads the race for veteran Higgins.

Yeah it does but at days end Johnny Blakey is returning and he knows his sh*t. So things are looking up.
My biggest concern is the retained players and how they're feeling towards the place.

100% - wtf is going on!!

Explains some of the irrational 'sounding' things going on potentially.

Well Brady must be a one man wrecking ball!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow - I hope its not true and Rhyce is just totally ****ed after a diabolical year.

Look, possibly mate. But it does sound, and this is all rumour of course, that a fair bit has gone down in the hub doesn’t it.

I get that people want this to shift a gear, it's just the certainty and vehemence that gets applied to it that has me constantly asking their reasoning behind it, and unlike your good self, most folks won't back up and state they can't really justify it logically. In fact, none of these folks have done it so far yet.

However, in the typical spirit of bigfooty.com, if things do by chance turnaround quickly, then the many resident disingenuous fence sitting folk here will sprint to their keyboards and tell me how they were right and I was wrong AFTER THE FACT, when I have not discounted that possibility myself!!!!

My position is this year was horrendous and mostly unnecessary, and I can't have any confidence in what I have seen so far, complimented by the fact that good men's careers HAVE been compromised by this flirtation with tactics.

North Melbourne has reached out to Sydney Swans’ premiership coach Paul Roos about a mentoring role at the club next season.
Not doubting your accurate posting here LL, but when i see " Herald Sun" I have to ask, is this a True Fact or just some made up story to attract clicks and paid subs (In other words, "Fact not Fiction")?

Anybody?

Not doubting your accurate posting here LL, but when i see " Herald Sun" I have to ask, is this a True Fact or just some made up story to attract clicks and paid subs (In other words, "Fact not Fiction")?

Anybody?

You are correct to question it. The HS sucks.

I have zero insight but there has been talk, even from the club iirc that they planned to bring on such a role. Its no secret those two are close.

Anybody?
I actually didn't say this North Melbourne has reached out to Sydney Swans’ premiership coach Paul Roos about a mentoring role at the club next season.
Someone just asked if Giant Roo had the article so I posted it. I think the above line came from the post I replied to.

You are correct to question it. The HS sucks.

I have zero insight but there has been talk, even from the club iirc that they planned to bring on such a role. Its no secret those two are close.
I suspect that it is very true. The sad thing is, if it's a true story, it's being played out in the paper before an agreement has been reached. So if Roos says no, well, North miss another big fish.

I can see a lot of excited people, and some not so excited here. For mine, the appointment of a coach, then the necessity to get him his own coach after he's been in the job for a year is a bad sign. If it was done up front from day one it is different. After a year, it's a message that the club does not have complete confidence in the ability of the coach.

I actually didn't say this North Melbourne has reached out to Sydney Swans’ premiership coach Paul Roos about a mentoring role at the club next season.
Someone just asked if Giant Roo had the article so I posted it. I think the above line came from the post I replied to.
All good LL. I acknowledged that you are the messenger, and that you posted the content accurately.

I was just saying that I don't trust the integrity of that media outlet.

I suspect that it is very true. The sad thing is, if it's a true story, it's being played out in the paper before an agreement has been reached. So if Roos says no, well, North miss another big fish.

I can see a lot of excited people, and some not so excited here. For mine, the appointment of a coach, then the necessity to get him his own coach after he's been in the job for a year is a bad sign. If it was done up front from day one it is different. After a year, it's a message that the club does not have complete confidence in the ability of the coach.

None of this is ideal.

The argument against priority access to the academies is simple - they are there to grow the game, that should never be to the exclusive benefit of any club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back