Autopsy 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton can play mid, HBF, wing or forward. He's got the freakishness of Cyril but a bit more adaptability. He got moved forward last night after playing mostly mids in 2020 and put us away in the first quarter on his own. I love Gresham but Bolton looks Brownlow good these days.

agreed he does look that good but two things - put bolton in our side and Gresham in theirs and I reckon you see the same thing. And don’t forget bolton was probably at the same level as gresh at the start of the year. The benefit of playing in a team like Richmond over st kilda (with the greatest of respect to us) affords him that luxury. We don’t have the midfield depth that other teams have hence we can’t really use Gresham as the same sort of versatile player. Another year worth of this into Gresham though and I expect him to be close to Bolton’s level.

Having said that the way he stood up in the absence of better players during the middle of the season (much like Taylor Adams for Collingwood) was very impressive. I am not denying he is a terrific player but I see Gresham as a player with terrific upside and that pick doesn’t hurt as much as others have.

That was categorically the absolute worst officiation of a finals game I have ever had the immense displeasure of viewing.

Apart from last week. The Tigers game was s**t too last week.

mate, you can't think like that, it will send you mad. These things aren't linear either, we take both in our ordinary mid decade teams, they may not have developed or they help us up a place or two and we possibly miss out on Ben Long or Battle.

i was on the Daniel bandwagon though. An excellent player, but was exposed last week in a great matchup that led to at least three goals.

Daniel still was one of their best players. I have a bit more faith that we might be on the right track now at least.

I'd be interested to go through all of max king's games. I don't blame him for the loss, he's a second year player.

But if you went through his games and found how we went when he misses his first shot vs how we go when he makes it. He's one of our most important players but his confidence fkuxuates so much. I'm sure he'll be better for the experience though.

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Forget about the game and look at the year. Fantastic unbelievable as good as you could hope for. Now the game. Margin actually faltered tigers. Kicking for goal was terrible especially when it counted. Heard someone write marshall was smashed in the ruck. Thought he was our best player. Need more mids though. Steele was great after quarter time but jones isn’t a good mid. I really shouldn’t say what I think of hill but gee whiz he isn’t very good. Anyway I’ve loved the year. Loved the improvement. I even loved the game last night. Never gave up.

The only thing worse than our goalkicking last night was the umpiring, never more obvious than Jones intercept mark in the last quarter to be blatantly dragged down by Cotchin (no 50) then try to play on and get brought back behind the mark. Absurd.

Goalkicking aside we matched it with the reigning premiers with a cobbled 22 missing 3 of our top 10-15 players. The improvement in on field play and off field culture this year has been absolutely sensational and for the first time in a while I’m genuinely excited about the future.

If we manage to land something in the trade period great, if not, I think Clark, Coff, King, Dougs, Battle, Long, Gresh etc. continued improvement will be a sight to behold.

We’re on the march.

I'd be interested to go through all of max king's games. I don't blame him for the loss, he's a second year player.

But if you went through his games and found how we went when he misses his first shot vs how we go when he makes it. He's one of our most important players but his confidence fkuxuates so much. I'm sure he'll be better for the experience though.

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

that’s how I felt about hipwood for Brisbane. I told my mate if hipwood kicks a goal from directly in front thirty out in the first quarter Brisbane will win; if he misses they lose. He is almost the barometer for their inaccuracy.

King is much the same for us. He is a confidence player. Some of his best games this year were when his first shot/s were on target.

Coffield ended up sixth in the comp for intercept marks (did play 18 games).

I’m pretty confident that he’s on the verge of being an elite player. His second half of the season wasn’t too far away from it anyway. His last three weeks have been brilliant. 13 intercept marks since the Giants game.
All Australia if he started like he ended.

They are two sliding doors players I always think of, Shai Bolton was who I wanted over Gresh after being a gun in the all stars and Caleb Daniel over Lonie. Those two would have made a big difference.
Bolton and Gresh weren't in the same draft mate.

I think you are thinking about Long. And you weren't on your own there, I think most of this board wanted Bolton at that pick and were a bit surprised when we took Long.

Hardly worth worrying too much about though. You can't expect us to get every pick spot on.

I also remember quite a few not that happy we took another key forward with our following pick and he's looking alright now.

Our drafting over the last few years has been very good.

Bolton and Gresh weren't in the same draft mate.

I think you are thinking about Long. And you weren't on your own there, I think most of this board wanted Bolton at that pick and were a bit surprised when we took Long.

Hardly worth worrying too much about though. You can't expect us to get every pick spot on.

I also remember quite a few not that happy we took another key forward with our following pick and he's looking alright now.

Our drafting over the last few years has been very good.

Even worse, Shai Bolton looked outstanding. Battle was another who was incredible in the AS game. It's a good barometer. Oscar Allen in his year was the best of the tall forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to say well done on a great game last night, ultimately the result was taken out of your hands with the influence the opposition had on the officiating. My young bloke follows the Saints and I can't stand those pricks from Punt Rd so I was devastated for you guys.
Out of all the teams in the comp, the Saints have the biggest upside (possibly neck and neck with GC) and a lot of players that will jump into A grade category next year. Your recruiting has been very smart, with Carlisle and Ryder last night the result may have been different.
Well done on a bloody good year :thumbsu:

Looking forward to seeing more of Bytel in the midfield next year- seems to have the surest hands of all our mids, and keeps his feet. Far too much midfield fumbling in the last two games and it cost us dearly last night.

Cant complain, as this season was a big step up, and just need some smarts at the club with list management over summer.

So angry about the umpiring last night and forever.

ben long.
bump and knock out a big doofus who went head first at the legs
=4 weeks
bump, no injury to player...
=1 weeks

tom "w***er" lynch.
punch witts.
cheap shot on collins
ram witherdens head into the turf
punch hurley in the throat
crack ben patons skull with an elbow
kneeing howards head..
= most likely, 0 weeks.

i dont remember hating a player as much as i hate that w***er tom lynch.
and * the AFL weaklings who try and make examples on the little guys but dont have the balls to hold the big ticket players to account.

Anyone else surprised at the lopsided amount of talk about Lynch as opposed to Cotchin for MRO talk out of this game

I’ve got to be honest with you, I didn’t really think that much of Lynch’s knee, seemed like a little niggle type of thing that could happen on the bottom of a contest/tackle situation a few times throughout a game, just getting up and doing something a bit grubby on the way.

But Cotchin grabbed Jones around the neck with one hand and the face with his other hand and slung him pretty hard, after play had already stopped. Pretty dirty and actually has the potential to do damage.

Yet no one in the media has really talked about it post game, and all I can see are news articles talking about Tom Lynch and how he’s in trouble today.

So angry about the umpiring last night and forever.

ben long.
bump and knock out a big doofus who went head first at the legs
=4 weeks
bump, no injury to player...
=1 weeks

tom "w***er" lynch.
punch witts.
cheap shot on collins
ram witherdens head into the turf
punch hurley in the throat
crack ben patons skull with an elbow
kneeing howards head..
= most likely, 0 weeks.

i dont remember hating a player as much as i hate that w***er tom lynch.
and fu** the AFL weaklings who try and make examples on the little guys but dont have the balls to hold the big ticket players to account.

Wonder if they'll apply the new "a few millimeters either way" rule to Tom Lynch 🤔

(I don't actually think Lynch should be suspended, one was a marking contest and while the other is a dog act there was no force behind it, but it is an amusing thought)

Wonder if they'll apply the new "a few millimeters either way" rule to Tom Lynch 🤔

(I don't actually think Lynch should be suspended, one was a marking contest and while the other is a dog act there was no force behind it, but it is an amusing thought)
i agree mate, the hit on paton was well disguised.
and the dog act was low impact and missed the spot he was aiming for the dirty campaigner.
but after the precedent the MRO set last week, the "look" the "intent" the "millimeters"...
how can they justify not suspending him and cotchin?

as for the "look" of it...
tom lych has been looking bad all year
called out by a fellow afl player as a w***er, thats how he is percieved by all watchers non tiger supporters.
noticed he took a week off last week when robbo was roaming the field the weak campaigner

Anyone else surprised at the lopsided amount of talk about Lynch as opposed to Cotchin for MRO talk out of this game

I’ve got to be honest with you, I didn’t really think that much of Lynch’s knee, seemed like a little niggle type of thing that could happen on the bottom of a contest/tackle situation a few times throughout a game, just getting up and doing something a bit grubby on the way.

But Cotchin grabbed Jones around the neck with one hand and the face with his other hand and slung him pretty hard, after play had already stopped. Pretty dirty and actually has the potential to do damage.

Yet no one in the media has really talked about it post game, and all I can see are news articles talking about Tom Lynch and how he’s in trouble today.
Agreed. Lynch was stupid but he got Howards shoulder.

The Cotchin incident was a dog act yet complete silence on it. If AFL wants to stamp out dangerous tackles and serious injuries then Cotchin needs to be held accountable. Thats how you give someone a serious spinal injury. Does not belong on he football field at all.

All that separated us was our finishing. If we kicked straight in the second on third quarters we are balls deep.

Let that sink in.

Super proud - of every single player. But now I have high expectations on the list management team to make us better and the coaches to get a plan in place for pre season that will push these boys that way our last group needed pushing.

Umpires paid 50s for that stuff last week and the media went on about how it cost Richmond the game so umpires wilted and let them do anything they wanted. The club should make a complaint to the AFL about the umpires not protecting our players. Could have ruined careers. Apparently potential injury is the same as injury now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back