Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst part of the day for me was the old ducks on the tram mouthing Lyon and saying he should be sacked!

Give me a ******* spell.

Our club has only ever been relevant with him at at the helm.

My wife says she's never coming to footy again but has cracked the shits with her friend who follows Collingwood because she sent a text saying that we have to sack Lyon because we'll never kick a winning score with him in charge. Everyone else has caught up to Lyon. Everyone locks down these days.

107 games in total into Owens, Nas, Windy, Pou and Hammer in one season is unreal when you think about it. Their contribution to the team had a big say in us playing finals and will prove invaluable in fast tracking their development.

Looking at it from another angle I can't help wonder if we asked too much of them in a high pressure final against an experienced finals mob.

I know some of these names were unavailable or under done but hypothetically would we have done better with a team including the likes of Billings, Coffield, Howard, Jones, Membrey (obviously), Paton and Hayes in the team? Not long term but in a game requiring experience and hard bodies.

I'm thinking maybe our expectations were too high for the young brigade in a high pressure final.

Who do we like in the draft, we move up a spot by losing don't we?

If the Suns keep their first round pick, its likely it will vanish in a puff of Walter.
If they trade it , then everyone will go back a place for each of Walter, Read, Rogers, giving us pick 15. Then there is the Bulldogs F/S which might make it 16.

I'm not really seeing the mid's i'd like around our pick.

1: Reid, not a chance.
2: Walter , tall forward, Suns academy.
3: McKercher, inside outside, no obvious weaknesses, would be great, probably no chance in hell.
4: Curtin 195cm Defender.
5: Duursma, more a forward mid, and i'd prefer not if we're getting Henry.
6: Caddy , 196cm forward.
7: Sanders. He's the best contested midfielder in the draft, continually producing eye-watering numbers with his work rate to contest a highlight. Sanders doesn't boast great penetration in his kick and doesn't exhibit the same level of skill as McKercher, but his proficiency in the clinches is undisputed
8: Read Ruck Suns Academy.
9: Nick Watson, Small Forward
10: O'Sullivan, Tall ( 198cm ) Swingman.
11: Jake Rogers, Mid Suns Academy.
12: Ollie Murphy 200cm Def
13: Darcy Wilson. 183cm mid. Wilson is an outside accumulator well suited to a wing with his speed-endurance blend Another one i'm not so keen on if we get Henry.
14: Shoenmaker , 3rd tall/utility mid?
15 : Croft , 200cm forward Bulldogs F/S
16: Stevens ,Slow ballwinning Mid/Def
17: McCabe 197 def/fwd
18: Hardeman 188cm Half Back
19: Edwards 207cm ruck
20: Roberts 184cm HBF
21: Cleary, Inside Mid, Swans Academy.
22: Tholstrup , 188cm fwd/mid, has often played as a tagger..
23: Green 203 cm ruck.
24: Sanchez Small forward/mid ( 178 cm)
25: Windsor , mid very outside player
26: Leake 188cm fwd/def
27: Freijah. Outside mid.

107 games in total into Owens, Nas, Windy, Pou and Hammer in one season is unreal when you think about it. Their contribution to the team had a big say in us playing finals and will prove invaluable in fast tracking their development.

Looking at it from another angle I can't help wonder if we asked too much of them in a high pressure final against an experienced finals mob.

I know some of these names were unavailable or under done but hypothetically would we have done better with a team including the likes of Billings, Coffield, Howard, Jones, Membrey (obviously), Paton and Hayes in the team? Not long term but in a game requiring experience and hard bodies.

I'm thinking maybe our expectations were too high for the young brigade in a high pressure final.
No way Coff, Jones, Paton could have come straight back into a final.
Billings the only possibility. And very much doubt he, Membrey or Dougs would have made a difference anyway.

Lyon, like us (although can’t admit it publically) was probably pretty sure we wouldn’t go very far this year - so great move to give those kids a shot at it For the future.

O’brien and Binns behind the ball to provide run from defence, releasing Sinclair to the midfield..

Don't think we need any more half back flankers. Nas went there this year and did well; Windy went there for a month or two and did well; Stocker is fine from that position; Coffield is coming back from injury hopefully; Clark can play off half back; Hill can play off half back; etc etc etc. Why would we add more guys who can only play there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday was just one of those days where nothing comes together. Reminded me a lot of our first final at the Gabba in 2004 when Brisbane cut us to pieces. That year we had the double chance to make amends but sometimes you just get beaten by a team who has a great day. Absolutely cannot fault the effort but it was disappointing our midfield defensive structures fell apart after being so strong all year.

Kingsley clearly watched the Adelaide and Gold Coast games and took a leaf out of what they did to us.

Found out about a few players - Sharman stepped up BIG time, Wanganeen-Milera was composed on the big stage, Steele showed he will be back to his best next year once he has more than a week to recover from his injuries, and Hill was born to play finals on the G.

Reckon the Giants are a serious chance against Port who look absolutely shot - should the Giants win next week then I can see a battle hardened GWS midfield up against a few Pies who've had a week too long away from the hard stuff. Would not at all be surprised to see the Giants on the last Saturday in September for the 2nd time in 4 years. Kingsley knows his stuff - Roo said in 2017 that Kingsley was the best assistant he'd come across in his time in footy.

By the way, we only had 9 players in the side yesterday who played in our Elim final in 2020. Ross Lyon has already moulded this team into something very different than Brett Ratten had and it's only been 12 months. Haven't been as excited by a group coming through since 2002/03.

Bring on next year.

The Eastern European death march song? It always feels like it’s being sung by Borat to me. But it’s a not nice.
Yeah, that one ...

... he must have had rocks in his head making it the condition if we lost ... 'cause he's gonna pay bigtime in the long run :devil:

Given the situation of the very late change, my guess is that it wouldn't have mattered who we had out there ... I felt like our team were distracted/not 100% there for significant portions of the game. They still tried to give 100% but I don't think they were able to pull out as much as they have in previous games.

I do think we'll be immensely better in the coming seasons for this season, even with the final match being a tough slog.

Just on Pou's influence.

For those who have been tracking him closely, this wasn't a surprise or relatively low game. In fact looking at the somewhat broad yet largely reliable statistic of ranking points, he actually went above his average for the year. As to be expected, he's practically the youngest player in the comp.

Just saw the tackle count.

5 tackles between Steele(2), Crouch (2) and Clark(1). That’s horrendous, especially for Crouch and Steele who have been our best tacklers the past 2 seasons
Clark ain't it. Never will be it. He's fools gold for people who can't pick midfield talent.

Given the situation of the very late change, my guess is that it wouldn't have mattered who we had out there ... I felt like our team were distracted/not 100% there for significant portions of the game. They still tried to give 100% but I don't think they were able to pull out as much as they have in previous games.

I do think we'll be immensely better in the coming seasons for this season, even with the final match being a tough slog.
100%. Given what occurred that very day, that we kept the margin respectable is in itself surprising.

Yep , the few that were saying these kids are built for finals were getting way ahead of themselves , it was a big ask for all those young lads when a fair few of our more experienced players didn't really step

Hard to win when two of your best five players this season (Sinclair and Crouch) have dirty days.

After how well GWS played (and they were excellent), and all the trouble we had, we still only lost by four goals, in a game where percentage doesn't matter and plenty (like GWS themselves in the 2019 GF) turn their toes up.

I have some longer thoughts that I will post later, but there's little reason for pessimism.

Last edited:
Hard to win when two of your best five players this season (Sinclair and Crouch) have dirty days.

After how good GWS played (and they were excellent), and all the trouble we had, we still only lost by four goals, in a game where percentage doesn't matter and plenty (like GWS themselves in the 2019 GF) turn their toes up.

I have some longer thoughts that I will post later, but there's little reason for pessimism.
One of the reasons that its very hard for a side to make, or even win, the GF from outside the top 4 is that if you have a single off game you are out and its rare to be at your best for 4 games in a row. Top 4 loss and you can reassess after a first loss and have another genuine attempt.

We were off, they were on. We get bundled out.

Well guess what ? We are still in the finals - we beat Carlton on Saturday.

We're versing the Dees this weekend. Good that Brayshaw is out.

Don't tell me you took the Red Pill ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back