Autopsy Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Ross actually a particularly good match day coach? He’s a great coach from a preparation and strategy point of view but I honestly can’t think of many times he did anything in game to help turn the tide too much.

The amount of times he's turned games around at half time is pretty incredible really. I came to expect it.

He's a great match day coach.

I'd say the whole 2010 final series was a Ross Lyon masterclass.

Finished third in the Home and Away season... completely different scenario to 2009, overcame a strong Geelong in a thriller.

The 2010 first GF was ours. Kosi into the ruck, Gilbert forward, Lenny second up in the ruck (AFL changed the rules to stop this from happening) and many more stuctural changes to stop a dominant Collingwood.

I'd say he is one of the best game day coaches I've seen. His preparation for game day is second to none, being a good game day coach isn't just the changes you make on game day.... it also includes everything up until that day.
Yehhhh but most of what youre listing is prep (which ive noted hes elite at), im talking purely about on the day, plan A isnt working, whats plan B, how do we change x, y and z. Like i understand what youre saying here but thats semantics about what im actually asking, what has he done in game as a coach thats been smart and won games?

And i realise that almost no teams really do this much anymore (its all about trusting the process and watching the dees march the ball out of the middle on grand final day and smash Bevos boys by 80 points) sort of gear.

This also isnt a criticism of Ross, i just genuinely cant think of him doing alot in games to change them.

He certainly turned the 2009 grand final at half time.
We were up by a goal at half time in the 09 Granny werent we?
The amount of times he's turned games around at half time is pretty incredible really. I came to expect it.

He's a great match day coach.
Any examples? Like im certainly not sure im right here, just cause i cant think of any doesnt mean there arent any.
Gilbert forward swung the momentum.
I dont recall that, will take your word for it though. I remember Goddard going forward (in the last i think) but not Gilbert. I havent rewatched the 10 draw though.

i have to laugh at this thread. ross lyon not even 15 games in... "not good enough! gotta go!" meanwhile matt finnis CEO in 8 seasons "done so much for the club. well done! ripping effort"

you can be unhappy with the results. we all should be unhappy. but fmd can we apply the same level of criticism to a bloke thats been there for a *in minute to people who were there for 3 or more years.

but lets not pretend Ross Lyon doesnt have alot of work cut out for him. you could have your pick of the senior coaches right now and the outcome would be exactly the same.

we have long standing legacy issues because the AFL i mean summers and co decided we'd be like geelong and geelong had this very stable holy trinity of a strong president, strong CEO and strong senior coach.

works if you've got a well run organisation. it's absolutely terrible if you've got a team of grifters. its a long march back. remember whiteboard wednesday at melbourne... reminds me alot of us pre-ross.

Last edited:
i have to laugh at this thread. ross lyon not even 15 games in... "not good enough! gotta go!" meanwhile matt finnis CEO in 8 seasons "done so much for the club. well done! ripping effort"

you can be unhappy with the results. we all should be unhappy. but fmd can we apply the same level of criticism to a bloke thats been there for a *in minute to people who were there for 3 or more years.

but lets not pretend Ross Lyon has alot of work cut out for him. you could have your pick of the senior coaches right now and the outcome would be exactly the same.

we have long standing legacy issues because the AFL i mean summers and co decided we'd be like geelong and geelong had this very stable holy trinity of a strong president, strong CEO and strong senior coach.

works if you've got a well run organisation. it's absolutely terrible if you've got a team of grifters. its a long march back. remember whiteboard wednesday at melbourne... reminds me alot of us pre-ross.
Someone wrote on here that we've been in with some chance to win every match, bar Adelaide, in the last quarter. Including games like Hawthorn and Brisbane where we haven't played well.
I consider that a massive improvement on what we've seen from the last three coaches.

Someone wrote on here that we've been in with some chance to win every match, bar Adelaide, in the last quarter. Including games like Hawthorn and Brisbane where we haven't played well.
I consider that a massive improvement on what we've seen from the last three coaches.

We won 11 from 22 last year. In five of those 11 losses we were in front or level at some stage after half time.

The issue is not, and hasn't been for some time, competitiveness. It's that ability to get to the next level from middling.

Since our last proper bottom out (2013-2015):

2016: 12-10
2017: 11-11
2018: 4-1-17
2019: 9-13
2020: 10-7 (13-9 over a 22 game season)
2021: 10-12
2022: 11-11
2023: 8-6

Record over that time: 75-1-87

Except for 2018, not bad, just not very good either.

oh s**t, it's a mod off
Animated GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine comparing a CEO to a head coach, like their KPI's and roles are exactly the same 🤣

oh s**t, it's a mod off

Between who?

ok i was confused, the mod off's off :(

I can give him a clip or two if you want a mod off?

What happens if they ban each other?

We reinstate plugs and put him in charge

that's silly talk

Good bloke
Loves you

🤭
oh s**t, it's a nod off 😴

We won 11 from 22 last year. In five of those 11 losses we were in front or level at some stage after half time.

The issue is not, and hasn't been for some time, competitiveness. It's that ability to get to the next level from middling.

Since our last proper bottom out (2013-2015):

2016: 12-10
2017: 11-11
2018: 4-1-17
2019: 9-13
2020: 10-7 (13-9 over a 22 game season)
2021: 10-12
2022: 11-11
2023: 8-6

Record over that time: 75-1-87

Except for 2018, not bad, just not very good either.
Mediocre, Average, run of the mill, uninspiring (I’m sure there are more adjectives! haha)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back