Autopsy Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder what he makes of the current state of umpiring šŸ¤”
prob thinks itā€™s fantastic and that itā€™s a very very hard to be a ******* show pony that needs to be involved in the game every 20 secs pulling s**t out their ass

Last edited:
prob thinks itā€™s fantastic and that itā€™s a very very hard to be a ******* snow pony that needs to be involved in the game every 20 secs pulling s**t out their ass
You can read his musings on various Saints Facebook pages, if you are really keen.

We get that.
To be fair Iā€™m here to be convinced and so far weā€™ve got Sam Gilbert forward in the 09 granny and nothing else.

I actually think itā€™s more a statement on modern coaching than anything, itā€™s all ā€œtrust the processā€ and no one ever wants to change anything. The demons flag win was the most evidence of this Iā€™ve ever seen. 3, 4, 5 straight goals from centre clearance (the last from the ******* ruckman waltzing out the front of the square) and neither bevo nor Bont not anyone thought ā€œmaybe we lock down and play a sweeper for 5 minutesā€?.

I get that local footy, even high levels isnā€™t afl, but most sides I ever played for had a rule, 3 or 4 straight goals, everyone lock down, youā€™re not gonna win it in those 5 but you could very well lose it. Modern footy at afl level just doesnā€™t ever seem to be reactive.

To be fair Iā€™m here to be convinced and so far weā€™ve got Sam Gilbert forward in the 09 granny and nothing else.

I actually think itā€™s more a statement on modern coaching than anything, itā€™s all ā€œtrust the processā€ and no one ever wants to change anything. The demons flag win was the most evidence of this Iā€™ve ever seen. 3, 4, 5 straight goals from centre clearance (the last from the ******* ruckman waltzing out the front of the square) and neither bevo nor Bont not anyone thought ā€œmaybe we lock down and play a sweeper for 5 minutesā€?.

I get that local footy, even high levels isnā€™t afl, but most sides I ever played for had a rule, 3 or 4 straight goals, everyone lock down, youā€™re not gonna win it in those 5 but you could very well lose it. Modern footy at afl level just doesnā€™t ever seem to be reactive.
You're asking a bunch of people who aren't genius match-day tacticians and haven't spent a lifetime analysing the intricacies of how the game is played so it's no wonder it's difficult to produce examples. Think it's a bit unfair to ask supporters of how a coach changes tactics in the box.

If you believe he isn't a good match-day tactician then can you provide examples of why this is the case? What don't we do around stoppage, contest, defensive setup, etc that you think we should be doing? Is there any vision that you can show us to better understand?

The more and more the back and forth goes on the more obvious it seems to me that actually nobody understands what a coach does or doesn't do, and only the most obvious examples are front of mind for supporters. We'd have no clue how the midfield setup changed in any given game but you throw a career backman in Sam Gilbert into the forward line and then the game changes, that's an obvious example that most can see.

You're asking a bunch of people who aren't genius match-day tacticians and haven't spent a lifetime analysing the intricacies of how the game is played so it's no wonder it's difficult to produce examples. Think it's a bit unfair to ask supporters of how a coach changes tactics in the box.

If you believe he isn't a good match-day tactician then can you provide examples of why this is the case? What don't we do around stoppage, contest, defensive setup, etc that you think we should be doing? Is there any vision that you can show us to better understand?

The more and more the back and forth goes on the more obvious it seems to me that actually nobody understands what a coach does or doesn't do, and only the most obvious examples are front of mind for supporters. We'd have no clue how the midfield setup changed in any given game but you throw a career backman in Sam Gilbert into the forward line and then the game changes, that's an obvious example that most can see.
To be fair, i asked a question and got a bunch of replies with people adamant that Ross was... It seems fair to ask for examples. This was the original post from me, im not stating hes not, im asking if he is.
Is Ross actually a particularly good match day coach? Heā€™s a great coach from a preparation and strategy point of view but I honestly canā€™t think of many times he did anything in game to help turn the tide too much.
Now im not really saying that hes not a good match day coach, im just pointing out i cant think of too many things he did, in game, to change a game. If others are adamant that he is, then they should surely be able to point to some examples, as you did. Im not adamant that hes not so of course i dont have examples.

I could be completely wrong, he might be an absolute genius and im just ignorant or forgetful, as i said, im absolutely here for it, * knows i want to believe and im not for a second suggesting i know or could do better.

Im still pretty adamant at this point that coaches, head and assistant dont actually do a great deal on game day and its purely about process and maybe one or two scenarios trained for.

To be fair, i asked a question and got a bunch of replies with people adamant that Ross was... It seems fair to ask for examples. This was the original post from me, im not stating hes not, im asking if he is.

Now im not really saying that hes not a good match day coach, im just pointing out i cant think of too many things he did, in game, to change a game. If others are adamant that he is, then they should surely be able to point to some examples, as you did. Im not adamant that hes not so of course i dont have examples.

I could be completely wrong, he might be an absolute genius and im just ignorant or forgetful, as i said, im absolutely here for it, * knows i want to believe and im not for a second suggesting i know or could do better.

Im still pretty adamant at this point that coaches, head and assistant dont actually do a great deal on game day and its purely about process and maybe one or two scenarios trained for.
Yes but by saying you can't think of many examples when he did anything in game to help turn the tide suggests you know what the strategy was to begin with (because then you'd see any alterations (or lack thereof) from the base setup).

I'm saying we're all too stupid to understand the game that intricately so would be a near impossible task to first know what the original gameplan is and then how that was altered over the course of a game. On face value we can say we seem to play the wings and play on at most opportunities but ****ed if I know what the stoppage setups are like and what happens defensively in certain moments of a game.

Very obvious and simple changes are the Gilbert to half forward or throwing Carlisle forward. Owens into the ruck for instance. Sinclair into the midfield. I reckon we interpret the game on a very basic level so positional changes are obvious but reckon you're asking too much for examples beyond that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but by saying you can't think of many examples when he did anything in game to help turn the tide suggests you know what the strategy was to begin with (because then you'd see any alterations (or lack thereof) from the base setup).

I'm saying we're all too stupid to understand the game that intricately so would be a near impossible task to first know what the original gameplan is and then how that was altered over the course of a game. On face value we can say we seem to play the wings and play on at most opportunities but ****ed if I know what the stoppage setups are like and what happens defensively in certain moments of a game.

Very obvious and simple changes are the Gilbert to half forward or throwing Carlisle forward. Owens into the ruck for instance. Sinclair into the midfield. I reckon we interpret the game on a very basic level so positional changes are obvious but reckon you're asking too much for examples beyond that.
I think youā€™re massively over estimating football in terms of complexity but neither of us knows I suppose.

The same thing we crucified Richo and Ratts teams over.
Been the same problem over how many teams and coaches?

Same cycle. We play like meth heads and gain so much praise blah blah fitness standards fittest team in the comp pressure pressure pressure then on the comedown we crash

Itā€™s red hot for AA competition in that backline. I kinda think unless he turns it around before Sicily gets back he might be in strife.

Surely playing finals ahead of individual awards
Individual awards instead of finals is the DNA of st Kilda. We may not make finals but some joy in the history books will carry us through the off season with hope.

Even in a losing side having an AA player or Rising star winner is something we can hype up or have in the media. Think about how even now with Steele in s**t form they still talk about him as ā€œformer AAā€ and all that

Individual awards instead of finals is the DNA of st Kilda. We may not make finals but some joy in the history books will carry us through the off season with hope.

Even in a losing side having an AA player or Rising star winner is something we can hype up or have in the media. Think about how even now with Steele in s**t form they still talk about him as ā€œformer AAā€ and all that
Imagine how they would talk about him if he was a premiership captain then

I think youā€™re massively over estimating football in terms of complexity but neither of us knows I suppose.
If that were the case then we'd have multiple examples of Lyon either changing or not changing tactic within game.

If that were the case then we'd have multiple examples of Lyon either changing or not changing tactic within game.
Well I have multitudes of examples of him doing sweet * all in game. In fact in every game except the Gilbert one I canā€™t find a single thing he did.

Doesnā€™t really work does it.

I mean Iā€™ve stated really clearly I actually think most modern coaches are anti gameday changes and have given a pretty telling example of such.

Well I have multitudes of examples of him doing sweet * all in game. In fact in every game except the Gilbert one I canā€™t find a single thing he did.

Doesnā€™t really work does it.

I mean Iā€™ve stated really clearly I actually think most modern coaches are anti gameday changes and have given a pretty telling example of such.
What are the examples?

You want examples of him not doing anythingā€¦
That's right. I'm genuinely interested. If you reckon he's doing nothing then you must know what the gameplan is to begin with right? To be able to identify if changes have or haven't been made. I'm not having a go at you, you made the claim he's doing nothing but I'm not smart enough to see tactical changes in game to know for sure (apart from bleedingly obvious positional ones).

Do you have examples of situations in a game where nothing has changed? That could be in terms of midfield rotation, style of play, anything? I want to better understand what we do.

You said you had examples of him doing nothing lol so I'd be interested to see that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back