Preview Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Friday 23rd June, 7:50PM AEST *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally would have preffered Bytel in for Ross and Sharminator definitely deserves a full game in the 1sts. Hopefully Pats plays a blinder tho and we get to see a bit of Owens in the guts(not just as relief ruck) as well as Sincs. Betting either Howard or Hammer gets subbed off for Sharman by half time anyway

There's plenty of excuses to not go
Someone may have a sick family member, might have to get up very early, might be feeling under the weather, might have a family commitment
cool. all great excuses. as long as those same people never bag our players for not turning up I'll live with that. In reality some of those same people squeal loudest.

cool. all great excuses. as long as those same people never bag our players for not turning up I'll live with that. In reality some of those same people squeal loudest.
Not excuse’s I go to all home games reserved seats can’t get there tomorrow

Probably because he is in our best 22 available players.

How would we know we’ve barely seen more than 22 at afl level all year?

Even when were a strong side this never giving guys a chance delayed player’s development and saw some blokes need to leave the club to take off. Don’t see how it’s good now that we are a mid table side.

Someone still might not trust us because we shat the bed completely last season, someone might not believe we've changed after broken promises year in year out, some might not feel the need to make the effort if the players still pick and choose, etc etc.

We know our supporters turn up but it goes both ways. The side has to turn up every week and play for the jumper. Too many broken promises and s**t performances over the years have turned people away. If we start being a consistently good side over a couple of years the supporters will come back. They are still there, we have 60,000+ members. In 2009 we were averaging over 30k to home games and had 32k members.
Thus in general Not aimed personally at you George....

Honestly if you're a football supporter and you follow a team with the motto Fortius Quo Fidelius and you've sat through the last decade and you're not turning up for this team tomorrow night because we shat the bed 4 years ago against North Melbourne on Good Friday then I ask why?

Why are you paying a membership? Why are you not aware that we have 5 of the most exciting kids in the AFL who get you out of your seat at the ground? Why do you in the greatest cost of living crisis in modern times shell out in record numbers for a membership then not come to a game?

Oh the trains, oh it's hard, oh it's KAYO. A night at the footy is the best entertainment you'll get. Especially with an exciting young list. Yes our midfield is a bit bland. 3 players out of 22 but apart from that all 22 have a dip.

What are people waiting for? 6 wins in a row and then I'll turn up. Then we lose the 7th and oh I knew they were s**t?

We are on a footy forum that pulls apart player performances way harder than coaches do at times. You say turn up though to the supporters and you get a laundry list of excuses and you really should "understand" how hard it is. Spare me.

TURN UP!! FQF.

rant over 😜

So someone who has a sick kid and can't get there tomorrow night who pays for a family membership can't say a player put in an ordinary effort?

What about someone who had surgery recently and was actuallly quite ill, member for two decades plus...cant have a night off and can never comment on a s**t performance again?

Put the spade down
The holes getting too deep

Thus in general Not aimed personally at you George....

Honestly if you're a football supporter and you follow a team with the motto Fortius Quo Fidelius and you've sat through the last decade and you're not turning up for this team tomorrow night because we shat the bed 4 years ago against North Melbourne on Good Friday then I ask why?

Why are you paying a membership? Why are you not aware that we have 5 of the most exciting kids in the AFL who get you out of your seat at the ground? Why do you in the greatest cost of living crisis in modern times shell out in record numbers for a membership then not come to a game?

Oh the trains, oh it's hard, oh it's KAYO. A night at the footy is the best entertainment you'll get. Especially with an exciting young list. Yes our midfield is a bit bland. 3 players out of 22 but apart from that all 22 have a dip.

What are people waiting for? 6 wins in a row and then I'll turn up. Then we lose the 7th and oh I knew they were s**t?

We are on a footy forum that pulls apart player performances way harder than coaches do at times. You say turn up though to the supporters and you get a laundry list of excuses and you really should "understand" how hard it is. Spare me.

TURN UP!! FQF.

rant over 😜
I am going to the game tomorrow night and I went last week and the week before that but understand your comment was generally speaking. Not sure you can hang s**t or whatever on people for not wanting to go. People turn up when their teams are winning. Fairweather stuff but it's the truth. We need to start becoming a proper competitive side and the fans will show up.

I hate the fact that we blame the fans for not showing up instead of the players. It's all on the players.

Not excuse’s I go to all home games reserved seats can’t get there tomorrow
Same as me mate. 4 reserved seats and living in Wagga I can't get to all either but when people talk about crowd numbers we're not the issue, I think as things pop up. I'm guess I'm just annoyed that a reasonably good team isn't dragging people along. If we played so well that we look like winning a flag will they come but then go again the season after?

I hate Carlton with an unhealthy level of passion but their supporters turn up in droves. Do they not get sick? Do they not have other s**t on? The fact they do makes me even more twisted about them.

Those 4 seats usually don't go unfilled either btw if I can help it.

How would we know we’ve barely seen more than 22 at afl level all year?

Even when were a strong side this never giving guys a chance delayed player’s development and saw some blokes need to leave the club to take off. Don’t see how it’s good now that we are a mid table side.
Gresh played primarily forward last week. The only similar option at Sandy last week was Peris whose output at the lower level was less than what Gresh is doing at a higher level.

It would be a different conversation if we had players in good form at Sandy but we don't. We still need to put out a side to win this game and Gresh is in our strongest team.

I am going to the game tomorrow night and I went last week and the week before that but understand your comment was generally speaking. Not sure you can hang s**t or whatever on people for not wanting to go. People turn up when their teams are winning. Fairweather stuff but it's the truth. We need to start becoming a proper competitive side and the fans will show up.

I hate the fact that we blame the fans for not showing up instead of the players. It's all on the players.
but mate the players are showing up. guess that's where my frustration is at. Not people on this board.

Like a partner that says "you need to do A,B,C or I'm gone". You then do A,B,C and they say "you should have done D".

We have a pretty good but limited list that is developing that has been within a kick at probably the 20 minute mark of every game except Adelaide.

What are the supporters waiting for?

but mate the players are showing up. guess that's where my frustration is at. Not people on this board.

Like a partner that says "you need to do A,B,C or I'm gone". You then do A,B,C and they say "you should have done D".

We have a pretty good but limited list that is developing that has been within a kick at probably the 20 minute mark of every game except Adelaide.

The supporters are waiting for the partner they've been with all their life to actually be serious when they say they've changed.

We've burnt trust with thousands of supporters over the last few years and especially last year. That takes time to mend and it's up to the players to put together years of consistent effort. If the players can do that, the fans will turn up. It's not the other way around. Nobody likes to be continuously disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supporters have been burned so many times over the last few years. Nights like that Essendon game last year, so awful. People just don't trust the team yet. Of course, the die hards will still go week to week, we are never going to have less than 20K at a home game, but to push up towards 35-40K again we need to convert the fair-weather types that want to to along and be guaranteed good footy.

If you look at this game, it's a big game for the club being Spuds game and we actually have a chance to go into the top four but it just doesn't feel like it. But who knows, maybe this is one where a few more people turn up... here's hoping!

40+ point win will get us into 4th by tomorrow night
Seriously open season

Someone will snag a flag this year out of nowhere

So someone who has a sick kid and can't get there tomorrow night who pays for a family membership can't say a player put in an ordinary effort?

What about someone who had surgery recently and was actuallly quite ill, member for two decades plus...cant have a night off and can never comment on a s**t performance again?

Put the spade down
The holes getting too deep
Sorry you've been ill and I'd hope that you would see from what I've said your not who I'm aiming at because as I said to George it us in general.

It's our crowds which I suspect you and I (3.5 decades member) are regularly at or as much as possible but It's our crowds going from 15k to 22k plus against interstate teams. 28k to 35k against the smaller Melbourne clubs and 35k to 45k plus against bigger clubs that we need to turn us into a club like Geelong that in 2006 was struggling financially into their now powerhouse status.

I'm not overly forgiving of the players (ask my nearest and dearest) but we equally need some of our members to not to be fair weather like we ask our players not to be.

I want our club to thrive and it is coaches, players and supporters that are all part of it.

Sorry you've been ill and I'd hope that you would see from what I've said your not who I'm aiming at because as I said to George it us in general.

It's our crowds which I suspect you and I (3.5 decades member) are regularly at or as much as possible but It's our crowds going from 15k to 22k plus against interstate teams. 28k to 35k against the smaller Melbourne clubs and 35k to 45k plus against bigger clubs that we need to turn us into a club like Geelong that in 2006 was struggling financially into their now powerhouse status.

I'm not overly forgiving of the players (ask my nearest and dearest) but we equally need some of our members to not to be fair weather like we ask our players not to be.

I want our club to thrive and it is coaches, players and supporters that are all part of it.
Geelong has won 4 flags since 2006 and made finals every single year since then.

Winning brings the fans it's not the other way around.

Supporters have been burned so many times over the last few years. Nights like that Essendon game last year, so awful. People just don't trust the team yet. Of course, the die hards will still go week to week, we are never going to have less than 20K at a home game, but to push up towards 35-40K again we need to convert the fair-weather types that want to to along and be guaranteed good footy.

If you look at this game, it's a big game for the club being Spuds game and we actually have a chance to go into the top four but it just doesn't feel like it. But who knows, maybe this is one where a few more people turn up... here's hoping!

Would be pretty disappointing if we dont turn up. Big game for the club Spuds match, friday night (rare). Round 15 playing for top 4 in an 8 point game, with wce the following week.

You look at the crowds Collingwood, Geelong, Brisbane, Adelaide's, Wce, Freo and Richmond pull its like having an extra man at times. Really hope Stkilda fans can start showing up.

It's absolutely a massive game. On 360 every night. At least 5 interviews on SEN. The football media talking it up at every opportunity.

I've wiped that Essendon game from last year as self mental whipping hurts. Essendon game this year. How much bigger than a win in your 150th year celebration game? Saints supporters singing the song walking out of the G. Against Essendon who we never beat.

Its been a great season to go to the footy if you're a Saints fan and there's a hint that we're on a path to where it could get better over coming years.

Anyway saying all this I understand on this board you're all not the issue. It's just that people mention crowds regularly and I feel the contract between club and supporter is aimed at the club for them not fulfilling their side and I personally feel that it's not that one sided.

I'll shut up now

Sorry Parkysp, here what your saying. Would be great if we are getting good crowds to all our games, but it isn't the supporters responsibility to get to games. Going to the footy is a want not a must. Players get paid more than most of us can dream of making to play and let's be serious the reason we don't get big crowds at games is because of decades of mismanagement by the club bar some golden years sprinkled throughout. We probably have the best administration and football department we've ever had atm, so if we can imoroving consistently, supporters will come to games and the supporter base will grow

Sorry Parkysp, here what your saying. Would be great if we are getting good crowds to all our games, but it isn't the supporters responsibility to get to games. Going to the footy is a want not a must. Players get paid more than most of us can dream of making to play and let's be serious the reason we don't get big crowds at games is because of decades of mismanagement by the club bar some golden years sprinkled throughout. We probably have the best administration and football department we've ever had atm, so if we can imoroving consistently, supporters will come to games and the supporter base will grow
oh totally agree. the tease of the last 6 years of finishing in '9thmanland' is excruciating. I love everything about a day at the footy though so even on the worst day I'll brush myself off and be back the next week if possible. Understand that's not the behaviour of a sane person 😜

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back