Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Well guess what ? We are still in the finals - we beat Carlton on Saturday.

We're versing the Dees this weekend. Good that Brayshaw is out.

Don't tell me you took the Red Pill ?

Mate you must do something about that avatar! Is there a time limit on your bet?

Mate you must do something about that avatar! Is there a time limit on your bet?

Check the fine print 😉

JBaGOfC.jpg

i've been thinking about your side. its intriguing.

ross likes to have a structure around the ball where you can guard space and pressure the opponent no matter the situation. thus the backs are free to roam off and intercept because no clean balls come out of the midfield.

conversely on the attack, his game is about taking space (such as wheeling and going off the mark) and hitting the available man. conversely if moving it out of congestion its about similar principles. its methodical and gains ground. if done at the appropriate pace its also attacking. pace is important, but requires a lot of effort.

you have structure behind the ball and around any contest. therefore, as you advance it forwards any turnover that occurs becomes a st kilda possession because your defense intercepts. thus defense and offense are one.

its actually a simplified and standard gameplan.

however, for it to work you need a side which can run and exploit the space. requires mature bodies and hard working mids (half forwards and backs). to constantly pressure, compete in the contest and then run to be options.

therefore i have a few thoughts
1) i think you have the running down pat. perhaps preseasons into the kids will help with the attacking flair. but, its workable.
competing in the contest and applying pressure is another matter.
2) your midfield has holes. rowan, steele are good enough. owens and sinclair need to become full time mids before you have enough talent around the ball to win anything.
3) for you to exploit the space and move the ball in the required manner; you need better ball users, especially forward of center.

so i think you literally need a bit more talent and development. which takes time. can you see owens making the jump from 15 possessions a game to 25? i think thats 2 seasons away. you need to draft and develop more ball users. plus 3 years of development. i wonder if your actually 3 years away from a sustainable top 4 run. could be wrong.

i've been thinking about your side. its intriguing.

ross likes to have a structure around the ball where you can guard space and pressure the opponent no matter the situation. thus the backs are free to roam off and intercept because no clean balls come out of the midfield.

conversely on the attack, his game is about taking space (such as wheeling and going off the mark) and hitting the available man. conversely if moving it out of congestion its about similar principles. its methodical and gains ground. if done at the appropriate pace its also attacking. pace is important, but requires a lot of effort.

you have structure behind the ball and around any contest. therefore, as you advance it forwards any turnover that occurs becomes a st kilda possession because your defense intercepts. thus defense and offense are one.

its actually a simplified and standard gameplan.

however, for it to work you need a side which can run and exploit the space. requires mature bodies and hard working mids (half forwards and backs). to constantly pressure, compete in the contest and then run to be options.

therefore i have a few thoughts
1) i think you have the running down pat. perhaps preseasons into the kids will help with the attacking flair. but, its workable.
competing in the contest and applying pressure is another matter.
2) your midfield has holes. rowan, steele are good enough. owens and sinclair need to become full time mids before you have enough talent around the ball to win anything.
3) for you to exploit the space and move the ball in the required manner; you need better ball users, especially forward of center.

so i think you literally need a bit more talent and development. which takes time. can you see owens making the jump from 15 possessions a game to 25? i think thats 2 seasons away. you need to draft and develop more ball users. plus 3 years of development. i wonder if your actually 3 years away from a sustainable top 4 run. could be wrong.
I think you have a good grasp on the general way Lyon wants the team to play but I would say he is looking at it as a 1-2 year push into top 4.
3- 4 years is a lot of time in football and you can see how wildely a team can peform from one year to the next. Taking 3 years to go from bottom 4 to contending is fair (Hawthorn look onto this path) so taking that amount of time to go from 6th to top 4 is actually slow.
Brisbane jumped from 15th to 2nd between 2018 and 2019 for just one example.

Just saw the tackle count.

5 tackles between Steele(2), Crouch (2) and Clark(1). That’s horrendous, especially for Crouch and Steele who have been our best tacklers the past 2 seasons
Steele was too busy getting the ball. Not many other Saints mids were.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not comparing the two situations and I know nothing of Tim Membrey's plight but I couldn't help thinking back to the '97 Grand Final. Right on GF eve Nicky Winmar lost his dad and Stewie Loewe lost his sister. Winmar especially was a lost soul on GF day.

Who knows what effect personal stuff like that can have on players and their close team mates.

Steele was too busy getting the ball. Not many other Saints mids were.

When he plays a lock down roll like he does on Cripps then he's said to be not getting enough of the ball. When he plays a more attacking game he's said to be not tackling enough. The guy isn't Superman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well now we are out there are 5 teams i wouldnt care if they won the gf,but brisbane lions are the best chance of those 5,

i hope the coaches have got big joe daniher doing 1000 lines each training night"ITS FINALS TIME JOE LIFT THE INTENSITY"

no more shaking the opponents hand,asking him about his wife and kids,telling him about the farm,telling a few jokes

no joe,grab his hand pull him in chest to chest & tell him"nice joe is having the night off,at some point in the next 3 hours im going to pull your head off and shxx down your neck cxxx"then push him away

Didn't say he wasn't. But the ease at which Giants waltzed out of centre stoppages and transitioned from end to end was pretty concerning for our entire midfield group Steele included.
Maybe some of the other non ball getting mids could have given a chop out, just a thought.

Not sure if anyone else is seeing it but the amount of ridicule and schadenfreude we’re getting on social media for losing seems a bit bizarre?
That’s SM For you.
Rather hang around on here - the odd troll swiftly removed, but usually some robust, mostly knowledgeable debate or outright disagreement. 🤣

I seem to still be coming to terms with this loss.

I think the 15 mins before quarter time and the 15 minutes after quarter time are probably the worst 30 minutes that we played all year.

For really, the first time all year we looked our age I guess. The sheer ease that GWS moved that ball out of our F50... Goddam.

Not sure if anyone else is seeing it but the amount of ridicule and schadenfreude we’re getting on social media for losing seems a bit bizarre?
Almost every single social media post about the Saints, wether it be on AFL.com or fox footy etc.. inevitably has people basically just trolling to be dicks. About the only ones that dont are posts from the mongrel punt and other better quality football media sources so it goes to show how knowledgable about footy the average idiot has.

Its frustrating but par for the course these days, better off just actively ignoring them. Theyre idiots who wouldnt say the same s**t to you in person, * em.

RTB on 360 tonight.
Worth a watch if anyone can post it.
Provides a little end of season closure for me.

You can see he’s bitterly disappointed. In himself as much as the team. He obviously expected more from the team, which in a way is quite heartening because he believes we are capable of doing better.

Talks Gresham, dealing with the Membrey news, the aftermath of the game - exit interviews etc. Pretty enlightening .

RTB on 360 tonight.
Worth a watch if anyone can post it.
Provides a little end of season closure for me.

You can see he’s bitterly disappointed. In himself as much as the team. He obviously expected more from the team, which in a way is quite heartening because he believes we are capable of doing better.

Talks Gresham, dealing with the Membrey news, the aftermath of the game - exit interviews etc. Pretty enlightening .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back