Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

About Caminiti, I just get this vibe that he is going to be better suited at CHB. He has the wreckitralph attitude to the contests and that stuffed up about 4 marks inside 50.
Our fwd 50 leading patterns are shocking but that is to be expected as we have half a fwd line with less than 100 games combined experience.
Last qtr 2 on 1 and we both lead to the same spot marked spilled GWS goal going the other way.

Sharman is a pure forward and a starting fwd next year.

King got his hands to plenty but could not make them stick....that's the shoulder issue I reckon...he holds half of them and we are right in it especially if Caminiti is not cannoning into him about 3 or 4 times.

Butler I like, but he is a smart footballer and does some smart things but would like him to do more of it...even if it is more vanilla....we need more production from that position and the same with Higgins, he has too many games where there is little to no contribution. They either improve or others will go past them...just who that is a guess. Hotton will have to getva go next year likely in that spot.

The comment about Wilkie and Selwood, Selwood would have played 5 games against him enough to know his capabilities as a leader.

GWS won because Kelly showed his class the goal on the run in the second was sublime look at Battle's (great game) reaction...if was like oh ffs.

Their second stringers Idun and Callum Browne killed us with their size and speed....that was the difference.

Thought the sad but funny thing I saw was Owens in the ruck bouncing off Flynn... boys and men came to mind.

Would have liked to see Stocker have ago at minding Toby Greene. He has some mung in him to get under Toby's skin. Wilkie was trying to do two things in the back line and did neither of them particularly well....lesson learned.

Whilst Gresh played well not sure he is the right fit anymore in our team.

Get Dow in if he is good enough he plays and will add a POD to the onballers...Henry will add more speed with the ball in hand which is a good thing.

One year older and another pre season to our Bairns will only improve us next year.

Go Saints

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

All of our forwards lacked cohesion. They all went for the same ball at the same time. They only learn that from experience and playing together. It was cobbled together all year and very few with all of them in at once. They probably need to give Cminit and King seperate areas to patrol or ask them to take turns drawing a man and going for the ball. It looked a bit under 9s with everyone wanting the ball and no one blocking.

All of our forwards lacked cohesion. They all went for the same ball at the same time. They only learn that from experience and playing together. It was cobbled together all year and very few with all of them in at once. They probably need to give Cminit and King seperate areas to patrol or ask them to take turns drawing a man and going for the ball. It looked a bit under 9s with everyone wanting the ball and no one blocking.

That was my thoughts regarding Membrey, i thought they were a bit more coherent when he was in the side.

This comment is not directed at Membrey as it’s not his fault and I sincerely hope he recovers quickly and gets back on his feet. Listening to Ross on 360 last night, it’s pretty clear the Membrey situation was a big distraction and if he had his time again he’d play Howard and move Cordy forward, a lot of the senior players were down on the day, there must be some chance this was partly due to Membrey.

Have we ever not had incredibly bad luck in a finals series? Membrey this year, 2020 Ryder does his hammy in the last few seconds of the game, 2009 Riewoldt does his calf in the week of the granny, Hawkins poster, 2005 and 2004 no Hamill, litany of things in 97, Spida injury, Winmar and Loewe situations. Go all the way back to bloody Ditterich getting suspended in 65.

Looking at Melbourne and Dogs breakthrough flags it takes everything coming together at the time. That never seems to have never happened to us and is a big reason we haven’t broken through for number 2 as of yet. Surely we are due a bit of luck in that regards moving forward.

This comment is not directed at Membrey as it’s not his fault and I sincerely hope he recovers quickly and gets back on his feet. Listening to Ross on 360 last night, it’s pretty clear the Membrey situation was a big distraction and if he had his time again he’d play Howard and move Cordy forward, a lot of the senior players were down on the day, there must be some chance this was partly due to Membrey.

Have we ever not had incredibly bad luck in a finals series? Membrey this year, 2020 Ryder does his hammy in the last few seconds of the game, 2009 Riewoldt does his calf in the week of the granny, Hawkins poster, 2005 and 2004 no Hamill, litany of things in 97, Spida injury, Winmar and Loewe situations. Go all the way back to bloody Ditterich getting suspended in 65.

Looking at Melbourne and Dogs breakthrough flags it takes everything coming together at the time. That never seems to have never happened to us and is a big reason we haven’t broken through for number 2 as of yet. Surely we are due a bit of luck in that regards moving forward.
Ditterich got suspended in 1966 - the year we won. But the point is well taken. We are well overdue for a bit of luck.

Phil Davis suid on radio that they were basically going to target Sincs because he's the key to our whole game. They didn't let him get free. We moved him to the midfield to get him into the game and they still went with him. Probably an honour to be considered worthy of stopping.
A few of our boys are going to have to deal with hard tags next season. I hope they are ready for it.

A few of our boys are going to have to deal with hard tags next season. I hope they are ready for it.

Its good that we can have alternative options available.
Nas is already picking up the slack when Sinclair can't , to an extent that's only going to increase.

I think you have a good grasp on the general way Lyon wants the team to play but I would say he is looking at it as a 1-2 year push into top 4.
3- 4 years is a lot of time in football and you can see how wildely a team can peform from one year to the next. Taking 3 years to go from bottom 4 to contending is fair (Hawthorn look onto this path) so taking that amount of time to go from 6th to top 4 is actually slow.
Brisbane jumped from 15th to 2nd between 2018 and 2019 for just one example.
i think he was heading that way whilst he was at freo. but cheers

and your probably right

Ditterich got suspended in 1966 - the year we won. But the point is well taken. We are well overdue for a bit of luck.
Oh yeah true, I feel like there was something in 65 as well, can’t remember now.

I was interested in the Gresham talk, did he say that Jade requested to be played in certain positions/roles on the ground and that it worked sometimes and then sometimes it didn't.

I find it very interesting that a player can request the position/role that they want to play.
Far as I'm concerned it would only happen if the club overvalues the player, especially if they're trying to lock in a niche role that doesn't particularly serve the gameplan well.

What free pass, Steele did his job, got a career high 38 possessions, what were Crouch, Ross, Phillipou, Clark and the rest doing?
You can't do the lot.
I understand I popped your narrative, but facts are facts. Steele played a lone hand, but you still want to bag him. Good one champ.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t know what mental gymnastics you’re doing to think you “popped my narrative” Champ!
He did part of his job well, as Ive clearly said. But when the opposition midfield dominates you and you have 2 tackles to show for it, you clearly haven’t done enough defensively, as I’ve clearly said about the entire midfield group.
You can’t just go into a game hoping to win the footy 90% of the time and not have to defend.

Give it a spell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll throw another one in the works from the ancient archive. One that's often overlooked. John McIntosh in 1971. Absolute gun player, who as a mobile ruckman was ahead of his time.

Came to us from WA in 1970 and finished 5th in the Brownlow in his first season. In 1971 he was runner up in the Brownlow. In the Semi Final that year he did his knee. He never played in the GF which we lost to the Hawks after coughing up a sizable lead in the final quarter.

McIntosh reinjured his knee in '72 and went back to WA. I've no doubt if he'd had a longer career at the Saints he'd be regarded as a Saints legend. And we probably win the flag in 1971.

Only at St.Kilda.....

He was the father of Eagles star defender, Ashley McIntosh.

This guys entire personality is being an American. Full blown w***er.

Got nothing against the US, but if you start every conversation or statement with “as an American” you can piss right off
You mean the Australian citizen Mason Cox ?

fe99746ac05b9187ea067fa7acbb6efbf285aaf4

Watching last night I was surprised we even kept it half close last week. GWS are a team full of Rolls Royce’s who are finally playing the way they should, honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they went all the way.

I really don't understand whether people have against Mason Cox.

I think it's refreshing to have someone from a different culture succeed in AFL, and he's helping the sport get a little notoriety in the US which might bring more American players in the future, or at least more supporters. His goggles are unique too. He's been valuable for his team on field too - I'd have loved it if our Jason Holmes could have been as successful as Cox has been so far.

I hope he gets a premiership medal eventually and makes even more waves back in the USA.

I really don't understand whether people have against Mason Cox.

I think it's refreshing to have someone from a different culture succeed in AFL, and he's helping the sport get a little notoriety in the US which might bring more American players in the future, or at least more supporters. His goggles are unique too. He's been valuable for his team on field too - I'd have loved it if our Jason Holmes could have been as successful as Cox has been so far.

I hope he gets a premiership medal eventually and makes even more waves back in the USA.
I'm of the opinion that the less US influence on our sport, the better. I hate the thought that some in the AFL want to emulate the big US sports, what we've got works well. We don't need to be the Superbowl, or the NBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back