List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

My 2cents worth - no point getting a mature aged key forward in a reduced draft. Go in one or two players short on our list and grab one if needed in the mid season draft.

On another note I have been thinking a heap about our rumoured tight salary cap space. What I think (hope) is happening is that we are trying to maximise our spend in 2021 on our current crop of players and minimising our 2022/23/24 contracts.
Eg re contract guys like cerra, Darcy, Ryan and Bradshaw with $600000 next year and $400000 for 2022/23. Give Walters $700000 down to $550000 for 2022/23. Give Fyfe $1.1 2021 and $900000 2022/23. Retire mundys $350000. I would even renegotiate with Blakey to move some 2022 cash to 2021.
This way we can chase a free agent for $1 million plus and his original team ( who have recently added a swag of big contracts) will be unable to match and therefore not able to force a trade.

Do Freo have to consider a Key Forward at 12? Looking at Zac Reid as a rangey, athletic back with a very good kick considering his height.

Is light-framed at 83kg, but does look that cool head who is a very instinctual football player. Handy forward by the looks of limited vision. Project type

Or do we go another medium sized mid who has height to go forward (188cm) . If so, Archie Perkins looks like he will be a very good player. Big tank, explosive type. From reports has played some footy with Hayden Young, so would be a good transition. Goal kicking reportedly good. High confidence player, bit of x-factor about him. Has screamed up the ranks. Both Reid & Perkins around that 8-15 mark.

Personally, I would like the likes of a Zane Trew (20-35). Saw him for Swans last year and his hands are magical. Really exciting role player. Injury prone is the only issue having a lay off for some pretty unlucky injuries. On the park, consistent and hard working. Walker & Western get enough oxygen, so I'm not gonna comment, they're a given.

Cox, Ried and Chapman will be the talls that might be still available at our pick. However, as in previous years, all the best tall prospects, will be gone early

If we just go for best available then Brayden Cook and Eddie Ford might appeal with their bit of x factor.

Reality is that there are a broad range of players potentially available to us from around pick 8 to 22. Different types, strengths and weaknesses. I hope we go for Cox, or one of the local boys. For positional reasons I lean away from Chapman, and towards Carroll and O'Driscoll. Players like Cook and Perkins need to be significantly better for me to opt for them. Preferring local players may be useful when the salary gets squeezed and the money men come to lure our players.

We currently have 12,32 & 55 as our most interesting picks. But JUH and his fellow NGA or father/son friends are going to go before our picks. Where does this leave us?

JUH is widely tipped to go top 4 and the dogs haven't a pick before 26
A few mock drafts have L. Jones going to Port in the top 10. Port doesn't have a pick before 35
Some suggest B Cambell will go to Sydney after their pick 3 but still before our first pick
Some have Reef McInnes going top 10 (looking at you Knightmare) as well. I would regard this as less likely but if the other three happen. Our pick is suddenly 15 and he might go before that.
Different priorities migh also see bids on Davies (GC) and Downie (Haw) who are currently likely to go early 20's.

Trading our pick to drop back in the draft is just going to make this worse. For example if we traded with GWS for pick 15 we are almost certainly going to be pushed back to 18 and if things go badly back to 22. I am not sure that's a win for us. Generally Joel and Brandon are being tipped for the 30's but early forecasts had them going in the early mid 20's. If that happens and we have traded backwards we only take home NGA players.

Where would all this put our second pick (32). Well that's harder to ascertain. JUH and Cambell will have no effect. Jones pushes us back one. McInnes might come before Collingwood's first or after their second. They will be hoping for this (Cal T is certainly tipping this) which pushes our pick back again. In the opposit corner are teams like GWS with 5 picks before our second. I don't believe they will take 5 players in the draft. Our pick might creep in.

All this to say. When I am looking at who we are getting I regard our pciks as 15, 34 and 50.

Anyone else have a thought on where are picks will actually fall.

I seriously thought Freo were planning to trade that 2021 2nd rounder in this years trade period for pick 30 or there abouts.

I guess Freo have all their 2021 picks to hold on to. I don't mind that.

During our rebuild years of 2016-19, Freo always traded at least 1 2nd rounder.

I seriously thought Freo were planning to trade that 2021 2nd rounder in this years trade period for pick 30 or there abouts.

They may trade for 27 or? 37 on the night. Best to use 32
to match a possible bid before trading in a higher one.

Just as an FYI, the option to trade our picks still exists, the only trading that has closed is for players.

I'm pretty certain we'll do a trade with our current picks somewhere along the line, whether that's to get more points in case of a bid or to get two picks before bids come in

They may trade for 27 or? 37 on the night. Best to use 32
to match a possible bid before trading in a higher one.
But we only got 3 picks in the draft though. Unless we delist one more player, I don't see us trading a future 4th or 5th rounder to have a 4th pick used in this draft.

Just as an FYI, the option to trade our picks still exists, the only trading that has closed is for players.

I'm pretty certain we'll do a trade with our current picks somewhere along the line, whether that's to get more points in case of a bid or to get two picks before bids come in
I can see Freo trade their future 2nd rounder again. Which I don't mind.

I would never want to trade our future 1st rounder under any circumstances though.

Again, I don't Mind trading out that 2021 1st rounder.

Still means we still got our 2021 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounders in tact.

But we only got 3 picks in the draft though. Unless we delist one more player, I don't see us trading a future 4th or 5th rounder to have a 4th pick used in this draft.

We'll probably try to bring in 27 from GC.
I am unaware if we have put Bewley on the main list. If we do we will have to shift someone else onto the rookie list or skip on probably Western, if he gets bid on before we can automatically rookie list him. I'll spew if they do. Bell said he would like to take two picks and then look at the academy players. It will be interesting to see what they do. No doubt we would like to get Western on the rookie list, I just hope we don't lose him trying.

Last edited:

We have three picks with a points value. There are still more picks after that, each club has as many picks as vacant list spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 32 won’t go backwards very much if the Draft was today.

Port, Dogs, and Swans all have picks that will by eaten up before pick 32.

I worked out that our pick 55 will turn into pick 47.
Do you think Western will be bid on before pick 40? If not, it should be possible to get 2 selections in before a bid on Walker without affecting next years picks

To get extra picks we move some players to the Rookie list... let’s say Banfield and Giro... the 2 extra picks.

These picks will be at the end of the draft but get telescoped in as the other teams players get bid on and their picks evaporate.

If one of our NGA players is bid on before our current second it’s an interesting time in the Zoom box as to whether Freo match.

If one of the players or both float out the back and aren’t bid on at all.. possible if only 40live picks given mid season drafts, then they scoot to the B Rookie list, and Giro and or Banfield can be upgraded back to the main list to clear the Rookie list for possible mid season options.

So no need to stress it Simples

60fbaa93d2acaf0e3c79727e4fefa13f.jpg

Last edited:
My hope is to take Carroll at 12 or where ever it ends up then get walker and western and if Neale is still there after that trade back in to get him

Anyone know why they don’t test for strength at the combines ?

Last I heard being fast and strong was a good thing for an athlete

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I’m thinking North, Adelaide, bombers (1/3) have multiple picks and will be looking at a talls to kick start their rebuild (ie similar to us Logue/McCarthy ) as they develop later. Thinking a top 10 mid will slide to us and pick up a developing tall with either 31 or rookie. It leaves us thin but surely with multiple chances to pick up mature ruck/fwd options during 2021 surely a top 10 midfield gun is best available before the 5th best tall?

Do you think Western will be bid on before pick 40? If not, it should be possible to get 2 selections in before a bid on Walker without affecting next years picks
Not sure about this draft and especially where Walker or Western will go.

I am hoping that we get both and don't affect next years draft unless we trade a 2021 fourth rounder for points this year.

By bet is that either Walker or Western will be have a bid before pick 32.

To get another pick before W and W will involve either downgrading pick 12 or trading future picks or both. I really don't want to do either.

With reducing list sizes do we want to have 4 players on 2 year contracts?

Getting to your question, where will Western go?

He is a good chance to go top 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back