List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Actually thinking about it more, a lot of of the wafl stars have turned out to be good afl players. Especially forwards - ballantyne, Ryan, yarran (looked ok at afl level), medhurst, Pickett, Kelly.

The ones we’ve picked recently are the likes of Watson and Banfield who weren’t exactly wafl stars and have come in as average role players.

Is there any recent example of a state league player who is a star of the league I.e top goal scorer, sandover or equivalent not being up to afl? I can only think of Kane Mitchell and even he was ok at port.

I’m sure we are better off punting on a genuine state league star than the likes of o’reilly, Banfield, switkowski, etc

Kane Mitchell is literally one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play AFL.

Banfield won Claremont’s B & F as a 19 year old whilst O’Reilly was playing mostly reserves and a bit of league when drafted.

I watched the WA vs SA game last year before a Freo game. The difference stood out massively between the two games. Only one player impressed me in that game which was Knoll who ended up drafted but not playing a game. They were talking about Deluca and Schloithe at the time but it was obvious to my eye they weren’t AFL standard despite them getting a lot of disposals etc.

Kane Mitchell is literally one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play AFL.

Banfield won Claremont’s B & F as a 19 year old whilst O’Reilly was playing mostly reserves and a bit of league when drafted.

I watched the WA vs SA game last year before a Freo game. The difference stood out massively between the two games. Only one player impressed me in that game which was Knoll who ended up drafted but not playing a game. They were talking about Deluca and Schloithe at the time but it was obvious to my eye they weren’t AFL standard despite them getting a lot of disposals etc.

Good point on deluca. I never thought he was going to be any good either.

Maybe if we focus just on goal scorers. I still think goal scoring translates well between leagues.

Seriously, why is no one talking about picking up a mature age wafl player? Tyler Keitel from West Perth is a 24 year old 196 cm tall foward and is a two-time Bernie Naylor medallion winner. He has also won leading goal kicker 3 years in a row and averaged 13 disposals and 2.5 goals a game. He seems like an exciting prospect for us? Club should be pursuing him. Don't forget Ballas was a mature age player.

I personally think that if we draft Keitel we’re more desperate than I think we are.

I know that some on here are slitting their wrists about our KPF situation and so they’d do it but I just don’t think he’d be able to transition well enough to AFL. Sure he could slot in as a last resort if Tabs and Cox were both missing, a bit like Jones did, but I’d rather draft a better quality tall and speed his development up if need be. It would seem a step backwards drafting Keitel imo.

Last edited:

Good point on deluca. I never thought he was going to be any good either.

Maybe if we focus just on goal scorers. I still think goal scoring translates well between leagues.

Can only name one genuine KPF that’s gone from a state league star to competent AFL player in 20 years. That was Podsiadly who came from the VFL. Most of the other successful mature aged KPFs couldn’t exactly ever be considered state league stars. They were generally drafted as an unfinished product at 21-23 years of age.

There seems to be enough of virtually every other position if you think the player is good enough.

A couple of others that come to mind - brody mihocek and going back a few years Troy Wilson.

Need someone who can be stuffed to go through every mature aged player over 21 and whether they made it or not.

Harry Taylor and Ben brown were both older but probably 20 or so i assume?

A couple of others that come to mind - brody mihocek and going back a few years Troy Wilson.

Need someone who can be stuffed to go through every mature aged player over 21 and whether they made it or not.

Harry Taylor and Ben brown were both older but probably 20 or so i assume?

Troy Wilson was drafted in the 2000/2001 off season so 20 years ago. He played 37 games only.

Ben Brown and Brody Mihocek weren’t longer term state league stars. They were both played out of position (Brown - ruck, Mihocek - defence) in their draft years. Brown was 20 when drafted, whilst Mihocek was a bit older. Mihocek from memory wasn’t a KPF until after he was drafted.

Both playing in Tasmania in their draft year wouldn’t help getting drafted either.

In regards to Harry Taylor, I specifically stated KPFs as there’s been plenty of successful mature aged KPDs with Taylor being top of the list.

Last edited:
It’s disappointing to have gone through a 5 yr rebuild and still not have a decent young tall marking target on the list. You can’t really knock it because we have been very efficient with our picks in part by staying away from the hardest spot to fill and of course our usual dose of bad luck

The right player is out there for us

Getting our hands on him before someone else is the tricky bit

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Troy Wilson was drafted in the 2000/2001 off season so 20 years ago. He played 37 games only.

Ben Brown and Brody Mihocek weren’t longer term state league stars. They were both played out of position (Brown - ruck, Mihocek - defence) in their draft years. Brown was 20 when drafted, whilst Mihocek was a bit older. Mihocek from memory wasn’t a KPF until after he was drafted.

Both playing in Tasmania in their draft year wouldn’t help getting drafted either.

In regards to Harry Taylor, I specifically stated KPFs as there’s been plenty of successful mature aged KPDs with Taylor being top of the list.

I can’t believe Wilson was 20 years ago.

Harry Taylor has played forward a bit and was quite good. A bit like mcpharlin where his best position is back, but would’ve been an above average forward if played there.

I know there is a small sample size - but is there any proven state league goal kickers (small or tall) where they haven’t worked?

It’s disappointing to have gone through a 5 yr rebuild and still not have a decent young tall marking target on the list. You can’t really knock it because we have been very efficient with our picks in part by staying away from the hardest spot to fill and of course our usual dose of bad luck

Credit where credit is due - Tabs is no star but we’ve recruited, on the rookie list mind you, and developed him into an AFL quality KF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was 20yo when he was drafted.

You’re correct but my point stands.

He’s barely older than the rest of the draftees and would be seen as a player with multiple years of development left to reach his absolute peak as a footballer.

He’s not a 24/25 year old who’s been a WAFL star for many years but has been overlooked anyway. Seriously we’re wasting our time talking about Keitel - if there was a decent amount of interest he’d be tested at least at the State Combine.

Brown did a knee in his draft year and another injury in his second.

Brown did a knee in his draft year and another injury in his second.

Ultimately there’s many reasons why these players were overlooked:
- Playing in Tasmania against lower quality opposition.
- Being played in different positions.
- Being seen as undersized for the roles they were playing at the time.
- Injuries

And in most cases said player is drafted at 20-23 years of age where they’ve got plenty of development left.

Keitel has been under the noses of AFL recruiters since he was 17/18 and has been consistently durable. He didn’t have any of the excuse above. Ultimately AFL recruiters don’t think he’s AFL standard.

Barlow was talking up Riccardi (same VFL club) a long way out from the draft, saying he was his pick for Fothergill Medallist (most promising young player). Collingwood desperately need a KPF and traded the pick to GWS on draft night, sheer stupidity as they apparently looked into him.

Keitel is probably in the Ryan Murphy mould. Good at WAFL, but not AFL.

I didn't watch any WAFL except the GF and part of South's prelim, but from those games it was noticeable how poor the quality was. There were clearly no potential AFL standard players except for Waterman. I like him, but he is way too short to be a KPF option at AFL level.

I am a bit nervous now that Collingwood appear to have the capability to throw a bit contract at young Victorian kids to bring them back to the state. Someone like Cerra/Brayshaw could be tempted on a big money contract, Collingwood is definitely a club that young players want to go to. You would think they would be heavily in the ear of players like B. King, Butters, Duursma etc.

I am a bit nervous now that Collingwood appear to have the capability to throw a bit contract at young Victorian kids to bring them back to the state. Someone like Cerra/Brayshaw could be tempted on a big money contract, Collingwood is definitely a club that young players want to go to. You would think they would be heavily in the ear of players like B. King, Butters, Duursma etc.

After the way they’ve treated their players this off season do you think they’ll be lining up?

With players like Keitel the main questions to consider are if they have been improving, and if they have the capacity to perform at AFL level. It's a pretty tough ask, especially for a KPF.

We did trade for a 24 year old Hogan who was supposed to be that KPF. It was too bad he couldn’t get on the park due to foot, mental health or off field discretions.

I’m not worried about them contracting non free agents as it’s not like they’re flush with trade capital. Based on the latest article on the AFL website, a few free agents next year have expressed interest in joining them next trade period.

Based on nothing, I feel like the re-signings of our best young players aren’t far away. Once the final list sizes and players salary cap are sorted, we should get a bit more movement.

We did trade for a 24 year old Hogan who was supposed to be that KPF. It was too bad he couldn’t get on the park due to foot, mental health or off field discretions.

I’m not worried about them contracting non free agents as it’s not like they’re flush with trade capital. Based on the latest article on the AFL website, a few free agents next year have expressed interest in joining them next trade period.

Based on nothing, I feel like the re-signings of our best young players aren’t far away. Once the final list sizes and players salary cap are sorted, we should get a bit more movement.

We did. Brennan Cox.

I honestly can't believe we're even contemplating taking a mature-aged, state league KPF on here as some type of panacea. Brett Eddy came into the AFL with possibly the greatest pedigree of any such player in the last 20 years - he was an absolute jet in the SANFL - and yet he was utterly spudtacular for Port and delisted after a year.

I mean Keitel, seriously.

It's not the solution, people...

Harvey Keitel is a good WAFL player but doesn’t have attributes that will translate to good AFL player. Someone above mentioned Ryan Murphy and another name that comes to mind is Brendon Fewster. The old lead and mark forward isn’t going to cut it at AFL level. He isn’t fast or athletic and won’t get the separation that he gets in the WAFL where he had played on some average back men. I see no reason why we can’t draft a Key position player in the first round and maybe another forward/ruck either late in the draft or as a rookie via the traditional rookie draft or alternatively as a rookie from the supplementary or mid season drafts.

We could get someone down to train with us in Jan/Feb/Mar and if suitable add them via a supplementary selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back