Prettiest batsman to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not the most common opinion but the Michael Clarke cover drive was sublime.

Best though probably Ponting, Mark Waugh and as others have said definitely Brain Lara. Younis Khan, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not the most common opinion but the Michael Clarke cover drive was sublime.

Best though probably Ponting, Mark Waugh and as others have said definitely Brain Lara. Younis Khan, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, particularly through that 2011-13 period when he was dominating every attack. Remember him hitting Morne Morkel for 5 fours in a row at Adelaide. Was a glorious stroke maker.

The usual. Greg Chappell, Kim Hughes and VVS.

One from left-field who was great to watch when the mood took him and had his eye in was Ken McLeay. Made the game look easy.

Not sure if apocryphal, but it was said that Barry Richards considered McLeay to have been the best junior batsman he had ever seen.

Ken Wadsworth was pretty in a brutalist way. His crunching drives were something to behold.

I am also going to throw Herschelle Gibbs' name into the discussion as well. Made batting look easy at times.

PS This article makes the 175 he made against us in the world record chase with Graeme Smith even more remarkable.

Some great names and completely agree with Gower, Lara, Martyn, M Waugh.

I'd add Zaheer Abbas, Roy Dias (didn't score a lot but looked good), Rohit Sharma, Martin Crowe, Richie Richardson, Jeff Dujon, G Vishwanath.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you see Damien Martyn's final average of 46 you almost feel a tad underwhelmed such was the level of elegance he displayed at the crease. He just didn't have the ruthlessness of say Ponting or Tendulkar in converting 50's to 100's and 100's to 150+.

A fantastic career nevertheless and absolutely sensational on the eye in full flight. On style alone, he is my #1.

Pure elegance is a toss up between Martyn and Babar Azam.

But elegance is not everything and my favourite batsman to watch us Steve Smith. His footwork is completely wrong, he hits across the line of the ball constantly and his leaves are ridiculous. He is the ugliest batsman I've seen yet he averages 62. Fascinating to watch.

I just loved the brute power and alpha dominance of Haydos marching down the wicket to the quicks.
It was a pretty sight- as long as you weren't the bowler.

When you see Damien Martyn's final average of 46 you almost feel a tad underwhelmed such was the level of elegance he displayed at the crease. He just didn't have the ruthlessness of say Ponting or Tendulkar in converting 50's to 100's and 100's to 150+.

A fantastic career nevertheless and absolutely sensational on the eye in full flight. On style alone, he is my #1.

What could have been if they had DRS in the 2005 Ashes.......Martyn copped some absolutely terrible decisions, which from memory ended his career and probably cost Australia the Ashes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back