Games & Recreation Childhood toys that take your nostalgia to 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Antique shop areas reliably had a wall-to-wall sweet store. Nearest to me were Berry & Kiama, like walking into Willy Wonka. Sometimes after weekend sport we'd hop in there on the way home.

I remember one year my mum managed the sweet store at the surf club. After Sunday nippers there was the sausage sizzle and also the sweet store for drinks & snacks. Oh man!

When I was 12 me and my friends played candy poker a lot. Sour candies like warheads & TNT of course were used for 'punishment'.

Mum always had a PK chewing gum pack in the car, that was her service station poison.

Last edited:

I like a strong black tea, black, no sugar - although for most of my life I drank it with milk & no sugar. Preferred the stronger flavour of Irish Breakfast to English Breakfast styles. Wasn't massive on Russian Caravan.

I used to be a big Dilmah fan, then discovered Nerada which suits me for mealtimes. Twinings Earl Grey with snacks, Aussie Afternoon when I want something a little different, Russian Caravan as a pick-me-up. Dislike English Breakfast teabags, although a 7am pot of proper EB leaf at Bowral after driving overnight from Melbourne was magic.

Straight up, no milk or sugar.

Got used to green tea in Vietnam. Disliked iced tea in the US, after six weeks one nice family who had regular foreign visitors made me a real cup of tea. I needed it so badly I burnt my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Blisters, skin peeling off, the works. Pain for days. * it was a nice cuppa though.

Got used to green tea in Vietnam. Disliked iced tea in the US, after six weeks one nice family who had regular foreign visitors made me a real cup of tea. I needed it so badly I burnt my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Blisters, skin peeling off, the works. Pain for days. fu** it was a nice cuppa though.

You ever flown United Airlines and asked for a cup of tea?

Do it, if you havent, its hilarious.

Teh Botol (bottled (iced) tea) is as ubiquitous as coca cola in Indonesia. More iconic than Bintang really.

I'm conservative with my tea. Earl Grey ftw! But don't mind most sensible & green tea flavours. Chai if done well can be delicious.

But all those Twinings infusion flavours can gagf! trash!

Last edited:
They don't do tea.
The tea that eventually came from the very pissed flight attendant was disgusting.

They drink on the job? :eek:

Back when I worked on the railways, I used to regularly travel on the overnight train between Auckland and Wellington, and camped out in the dining car drinking endless cups of coffee chatting to the staff, and went to my seat about two in the morning when the northbound and southbound trains crossed and the crew changed over. One manager was a real bitch and as they closed up brought me a "special" coffee. I could taste the mixture of coffee and tea, and probably spit. Like a he-man I sculled it in front of her to show how staunch I was. Would have accidentally dropped it on the floor if it hadn't been the incoming crew who would have had to clean it up.

They drink on the job? :eek:

Back when I worked on the railways, I used to regularly travel on the overnight train between Auckland and Wellington, and camped out in the dining car drinking endless cups of coffee chatting to the staff, and went to my seat about two in the morning when the northbound and southbound trains crossed and the crew changed over.

What did you do on the railways?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked like a trojan as an office junior and first-level supervisor, while enthusiastically promoting rail travel and freight, making friends with the top echelon of management on my visits to Wellington (because I was too wet behind the ears to know better, and they probably tolerated me for the amusement), and getting ground down by office managers because they spent 30 years rising to two levels above clerk and they couldn't bear to see a smart young prick succeed.

Fortunately I was forced to leave just before privatisation and the gutting of the railway I knew and loved. I don't know how I'd have handled that.

Postscript: A decade later I was making a motza with my software business, and bought some surplus office gear from NZR. Went in to pay and my old boss was behind the desk, older and fatter, still chain smoking and still at clerk+2 level. I thanked him for kicking me out and setting me up for life. Suck that you campaigner.

Sugar is in pretty much everything now! Lets leave it out one thing that actually tastes 100 times better without it.

I can drink tea with up to one tsp of sugar in it, any more than that and it just tastes like hot sugary water.

Don't understand it in coffee either. Maybe sugar in black coffee offsets the bitterness, but in white coffee it just overpowers the flavour of steamed/froth milk. No amount of sugar can save instant coffee from tasting like arse.

I had a sip of coffee like 40 years ago and didn't like it and have never had any since although I quite like the smell of it. I do drink the very occasional tea, lemon and ginger variety.

I've never drunk tea, I love coffee but I didn't start drinking it until I started working in an office and needed coffee breaks to perk me up and relieve the boredom.

Whats the deal with lemonade over there too.

Lemonade is lemonade!!!!! No matter how its bloody made.

They had something called pink lemonade at the cinema I worked at there, they also had Sprite which we call lemonade so when I first started working there and customers asked for lemonade I would give them Sprite instead of pink lemonade, they thought I was taking the piss but it was just an honest misunderstanding.

I've never drunk tea, I love coffee but I didn't start drinking it until I started working in an office and needed coffee breaks to perk me up and relieve the boredom.

They had something called pink lemonade at the cinema I worked at there, they also had Sprite which we call lemonade so when I first started working there and customers asked for lemonade I would give them Sprite instead of pink lemonade, they thought I was taking the piss but it was just an honest misunderstanding.

I know.

Homemade lemonade = lemonade
Sprite/7up = carbonated lemonade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back