Games & Recreation Childhood toys that take your nostalgia to 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Randomly saw an image of the foldable Rubix puzzle yesterday giving me the most intense experience of nostalgia I have felt in a long time. Amazingly they are still sold on ebay so have picked one up. The viewmaster was another of those toys that brings back fond memories of being a child for me. What toys give you the most joy in remembering?

81ebwBs0rRL._AC_SX425_.jpg
658270c9-e212-45c1-8d3c-f7193198a3b6_1.16c634758d624fae25916533e8bb5514.jpeg

815hQY7K2ZL.jpg

Randomly saw an image of the foldable Rubix puzzle yesterday giving me the most intense experience of nostalgia I have felt in a long time. Amazingly they are still sold on ebay so have picked one up. The viewmaster was another of those toys that brings back fond memories of being a child for me. What toys give you the most joy in remembering?

View attachment 1014351
View attachment 1014353

View attachment 1014359
The missus got the kids the foldable rubix puzzle you show for Christmas this year.

I can't wait to use it

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I looked up GI Joe figurines and vehicles online not long ago. Found a page that listed all of them by the year they we're released. Went through each year and found each one I used to have. Nastalgia went to level 50 I reckon. Found so many I had forgotten about

Did it later with mini micro machines, especially the sets. Had forgotten about so many sets I had. Before I knew it an hour had passed by. It is good fun looking at that stuff.

Next will be he-man I reckon. We used to have a heap of them as well (they were mainly my older brothers but would remember them easily)

DSC00078.jpg

The viewmaster is a really evocative example.

I wasn't a toy person, but formative children's books really take me back. These all represent my early 90s:
- Kids Books with mum/dad
- Dr Seuss
- Golden Books
- Visually attractive books
- Iconic Australian Books
- Mr Men (the first thing I remember rabidly collecting, think I even had all the little miss)
- Encyclopaedia set (atlas fanatic)
- Biblical volume set (bible-obsessed)

In 1996 I remember diving headfirst into 8-12 type things like Roald Dahl, Paul Jennings, Goosebumps, Animals of Farthing Wood, as well as non-fiction on space & dinosaurs, but before then books like these were my world.

9780929608679.jpg
I_Had_Trouble_in_Getting_to_Solla_Sollew.jpg
51lGHnSnqbL._AC_SY400_.jpg

93328.jpg
210511ecff2bf6db74c679b1424a630e.jpg
51S4CYWMCQL._AC_UL600_SR429,600_.jpg
oJADNTCsfBSSQ30iP2ZmMjZLj3Ih4djkHglQOJySEmQ.png
s-l400.jpg
The-Book-of-Life-by-Beers-1980-Complete.jpg

Last edited:
Thought long and hard about this and honestly can't remember having any "toys" as such, other than maybe marbles.
Footballs, cricket bats, bikes and skateboards is all I can recall wanting (other than 1 of these bad boys I never got).
1605717078081.png

Lego, barbie, computer that had games such as winter/California games, digger, police quest, brick, frogger etc. My my child called Lauren.

Books that came with a cassette tape. I had Peter pan, Gremlins, ET and The Goonies.

Board games: sale of the century, upwords, nightmare, reversi.

And jacks. Man had some extremely competitive games of jacks back in the day..

Lego, barbie, computer that had games such as winter/California games, digger, police quest, brick, frogger etc. My my child called Lauren.

Books that came with a cassette tape. I had Peter pan, Gremlins, ET and The Goonies.

Board games: sale of the century, upwords, nightmare, reversi.

And jacks. Man had some extremely competitive games of jacks back in the day..
We had a commodore 64 growing up. Games like summer/winter games, Wonderboy, spy hunter, mission impossible etc.

I sometimes play them on my laptop if I get really bored, all old games can be found online.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a commodore 64 growing up. Games like summer/winter games, Wonderboy, spy hunter, mission impossible etc.

I sometimes play them on my laptop if I get really bored, all old games can be found online.

Wonder boy was sega. * i loved that game (cousins had a sega) and yep i downloaded it.

Finally clocked it after all these bloody years.

I also downloaded Police Quest, so freaken awesome.. finally got to the poker game in the back room, finally win the game, finally get to go upstairs to finish the game. And it ******* wont let me walk up the stairs and follow the death angel. Sonny Bonds explain yourself pls.

My best friend-ie. Next door neighbor had a legit playroom. Back then pretty rare id have imagined. Had a massive closet full of toys was so good going over there.

No.1 memory tho would not re. Toys but building forts. Wed play "wheelies" that what they were? Those horrid things out of Return to Oz and pretend they were chasing after us.

We used to make little houses for these figurines we collected. Cannot remember what they were called- they were animals like felt type material.

Also Simpsons cards. I wish i didnt throw out my simpsons cards. And Michelangelo TMNT doll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back