Eye Rolling Movie Tropes

Remove this Banner Ad

More annoying than Spielberg's wife in the same movie?

We watched this movie the other day. First time with the kids. My 8 year old, days later started talking about "Willy Spot" and we were losing it, not realising he thought that was the character's name (Willie Scott). We now call the little wee dot he sometimes gets on his undies after going to the toilet a "Willy Spot".

Any tag along kid in an action movie

Spends most of the movie getting into trouble stupidly and having to be rescued by the star.

Then near the end they hack into the government computer (they've been lugging a laptop around the whole movie) and justify their inclusion by opening a key door or disabling some alarm

SLO-MO in the kids movie We Can Be Heroes.

Don’t even notice him during the movie, he is pretty much edited out of the whole movie and when he’s in it he’s an annoying little s**t. Turns up at the end and saves the day.....

Sports movies where the championship game/event always comes down to the last minute/second and involves a play that would be the most amazing of all time where it to occur at any stage of play let alone to decide the whole shebang.

Sports movies where the championship game/event always comes down to the last minute/second and involves a play that would be the most amazing of all time where it to occur at any stage of play let alone to decide the whole shebang.
Space-Jam.jpg

I have no idea what you mean.

Movie sequels that have a considerable gap or time between them where the original protagonist now has annoying adult (or teenage) children that take up way too much of the screen time and distract from what made the original movies great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sports movies where the tv commentary is clearly laid on/tailored towards the script that comes across as jarringly unnatural.

The "wince" makes me laugh (movies)
Who knew Dettol was so ouchy?

As does the four friends (television) all walking together like a chorus line down the middle of a busy street in NYC
Hey! I'm walking here!

I find it incredible, 'according to Hollywood', that all the UFO's and Aliens from other universes/galaxies/star systems, which are light years away travel to earth and ALWAYS arrive in the USA...!!!
It sort of dispels the belief they are of super advanced intelligence and technology as surely they would undertake some basic due diligence prior to arrival and target and threaten a continent or county 'that doesn't' possess a large military presence with nuclear weapon capabilities, i.e. Africa or Australia....?

I can only surmise that if Hollywood had them arriving elsewhere on the planet then the usual conclusion in the plot with the 'USA saving the world' may not be possible....

Last edited:
It would be great if computers worked in RL how they work on TV & movies. Turn it on and find what you want in 2 seconds.

And you could just throw your power point slides onto the nearest wall with your hand like some kind of cyborg

I find it incredible, according to Hollywood, that all the UFO's and Aliens from other universes/galaxies/star systems, which are light years away travel to earth and ALWAYS arrive in the USA...!!!
It sort of dispels the belief they are of super advanced intelligence and technology as surely they would undertake some basic due diligence prior to arrival and target and threaten a continent or county 'that doesn't' possess a large military presence with nuclear weapon capabilities, i.e. Africa or Australia....?

I can only surmise that if Hollywood had them arriving elsewhere on the planet then the usual conclusion in the plot with the 'USA saving the world' may not be possible....
I think a lot of the films also usually show a co-ordinated invasion in other places. Signs and Independence Day for example had the aliens in a multitude of other countries, the story just focused on the American protagonists.

I’d also say if aliens could receive and interpret our media just in mass volume they would likely assume the Prez to be the leader of the whole world.

breaking the law is ok if you're the the protagonists (good guy)

Prison Guards are always sadistic sociopath's, and probably should be the ones behind bars.
Sort of a relief that Shawshank Redemption doesn't do that. The Warden and Head Guard are assholes but we see that everyone else just follows orders and are otherwise just normal blokes doing their jobs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back