theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What area in our squad\position is our weakest link?

Our fat side winger? I have Bewley is our best player for this position, but I am not sure he is our top 25 players. Who else can play this role?
Forward Flank? Rotate mids through plus Sturt should have this position covered
Forward pocket? Switta or Schultz? They need to hit the score board if they are to hold there spot.
Outside Mid? I was hoping this would be Cerra, but he is being lined up to play inside. A big weakness.
Ruck forward? The lobbster needs a big year.

Where does Henry play next year?
I am hoping O’Driscoll nails that wing position as early as possible. But Bewley cops a bit more flack about his performance than he deserves.

Fyfe, Mundy and Acres should cause havoc on our forward flanks.

Walters and Henry are the small forwards most likely to hit the scoreboard, followed by Schultz.

I can definitely see the appeal of getting Cerra on the inside, and I also want Valente given the opportunity to cement a position for himself. Left field, I can see Chapman, Walker and O’Driscoll having outside roles.

Forward/ruck, with an emphasis on forward, is a powerful asset. I think Lobb is more than handy, but I would keep looking.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
There aren’t many gaping holes in the list to be honest, but if you look at our outside mids, they are not really top 4 standard, the kind of players you imagine being comfortable in a prelim or grand final. Bewley is limited. Cerra playing more inside. Hill appears close to being cooked. Aish and Tucker are ok I suppose. Giro, Frederick the new draftees all just potential and nothing more yet. Acres at his best looks decent but is very inconsistent.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Not too many holes?

Our forward line is one massive black hole.

Taberner (God bless him) is the only shining light and he is yet to get through a season without an injury.

We need to put a premium on drafting forwards.
Hindsight of course but if we'd have taken a King with the Hogan pick...

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hindsight of course but if we'd have taken a King with the Hogan pick...
We would be in exactly same position. How long will king be on the gold coast do you think?

Let it go, move on otherwise you will waste your energy on what if’s. make finals give a Cerra a monster deal make him stay.

freojezz13

Draftee
Feb 12, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey guys, random question, is our list actually full? Max size is 44 this year I believe but unless I’ve missed something we have 43

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey guys, random question, is our list actually full? Max size is 44 this year I believe but unless I’ve missed something we have 43
Max list size is 42 + up to 2 Cat B rookies, we only have 1 Cat B rookie.
I’m not sure if we get to add one of academy players from last year in th PSS draft as a Cat B rookie or not, but Chris Walker and Haddow have been training with us over the summer.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I think Giro will get a few games. He looks incredibly fit. His debut season he was having a real crack as a skinny teen. Has a bit of go about him
I didn't mind Stefan giro when he had his debut season in 2018. Played like 10-12 games that year. Gutted he has been injured in the last 2 seasons. Had he been fully fit in 2019 and 2020, worst case scenario he would of played every 2nd game rotating from the wing and bench. Would of played a chunk of WAFL games in 2019. But that would of been expected.

I hold out hopes he will make it as a depth player

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What happens when Cerra nominates Richmond??? (Hypothetically speaking. He won’t want to go to Carlton. Ardent Tigers supporter growing up, straight up Cotchin replacement, if he goes, he’ll go to Richmond. Hypothetically speaking, reiterated.)
I think our club seems clear that it is far better to trade a contracted player if you know they want to leave than to wait a year and trade them uncontracted, so I am assuming Cerra is likely to stay. Obviously if he nominated Richmond it would be difficult, but high prices were paid for Dangerfield, Kelly and Cameron despite being out of contract.

Wabjub

Official buddy 2022 - The Raz
Mar 24, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
What happens when Cerra nominates Richmond??? (Hypothetically speaking. He won’t want to go to Carlton. Ardent Tigers supporter growing up, straight up Cotchin replacement, if he goes, he’ll go to Richmond. Hypothetically speaking, reiterated.)
We will get compensation through the roof and Richmond will have to find money between the big guns in Martin Lynch Riewoldt.

Also they have a number of players entering their final contractual year in 2021 (unless some have signed on this is the data I found);

Rioli Non-Free Agent
Astbury Unrestricted free agent
Prestia NFA
Grimes UFA
Solda NFA
Riewoldt UFA
Castagna NFA
McIntosh RFA
Vlastuin RFA
Balta NFA
Bolton NFA

That's a lot of money they will need to find never mind a Cerra type contract. Cotchins contract wont come close to covering Cerra so theyll have to cut back elsewhere.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not too many holes?

Our forward line is one massive black hole.

Taberner (God bless him) is the only shining light and he is yet to get through a season without an injury.

We need to put a premium on drafting forwards.
I don't think the tall forward stocks is as bad as many people think.

Sure this isn't 2012-15 when we had next to nothing outside of an ageing pav. Had Taberner and Apeness slowly developing. Apeness was too injury prone and there is a 100 page thread on here about Taberner.

As posted. Taberner and Lobb are the only 2 blokes on our list that can play FF.

Brennan Cox can play CHF. Traecy is a CHF too. I think we are fine..... For now.

Small forwards. Walters and Ballantyne were good in that 2012-15 run.

Walters is sadly 30 and Ballantyne is retired. Schulz, Bewley, Crowden and Sam Sturt can play as forward pockets or forward flankers.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
We are pretty much ****ed.

Bolton, 2 1st round picks + ...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I personally respect that Cerra is holding out, he's basically betting on himself. Expecting a massive season from him.
I hoping that's the case. Cerra is in his 4th season. Hoping he has an excellent season and demands a 4 year deal like Brayshaw did.

Then again.... It could backfire on him just like Ben Brown at North.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't think the tall forward stocks is as bad as many people think.

Sure this isn't 2012-15 when we had next to nothing outside of an ageing pav. Had Taberner and Apeness slowly developing. Apeness was too injury prone and there is a 100 page thread on here about Taberner.

As posted. Taberner and Lobb are the only 2 blokes on our list that can play FF.

Brennan Cox can play CHF. Traecy is a CHF too. I think we are fine..... For now.

Small forwards. Walters and Ballantyne were good in that 2012-15 run.

Walters is sadly 30 and Ballantyne is retired. Schulz, Bewley, Crowden and Sam Sturt can play as forward pockets or forward flankers.
Highlighting Cox and Treacy reinforces that we have issues. neither Cox nor the coach seem to want him to play forward despite us having a stacked backline, and Treacy hasn't even played a pre-season game.

Have any of Taberner, Lobb or Darcy played a full season for us?

neither Cox nor the coach seem to want him to play forward

That's what we hear, then he kicks goals in the intraclub playing forward - so unless he is charging forward from defense in a new plan to mix it up against the opposition defenses chasing a key forward out thinking that it removes our height - only for Cox to already be replacing them and now matched up on a smaller opponent... maybe he is just playing forward a bit too

Back