Opinion Past Collingwood players who could have been anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit belated with the response, but early to mid-80's pablo! He was a very big strong lad and watching him in action here (it's a couple of minutes worth of his highlights from that match) it's hard to imagine why he never played a senior game for us, and (seemingly) just drifted away from the VFL scene: Fatui Ataata - 1984 Reserves Preliminary Final - YouTube

Here's his Reserves record for the club:
View attachment 1067009

U19's:
View attachment 1067011
He was a bit of a cult hero in the ressies.

What ever happened to paul hawke?

Yeah. That's one I'd like to know too. Was runner up in the Copeland in 1989 in a decent team. Then was left in the reserves for all of our premiership year - 1990. Francis and Russell probably just pushed him out, but it was still a dramatic plummet.

He was a bit of a cult hero in the ressies.
He was big (listed at 196/92), it looks like he could run very well for someone of that size, could play forward and back, yet was never even given a pre-season/night series game. He was only 19 at the time of that 1984 Reserves Prelim Final, so it will always be a bit of a mystery to me that he was never given a chance and allowed to leave the club at quite a young age (at the end of 1985).

Last edited:
He was big (listed at 196/92), it looks like he could run very well for someone of that size, could play forward and back, yet was never even wgiven a pre-season/night series game. He was only 19 at the time of that 1984 Reserves Prelim Final, so it will always be a bit of a mystery to me that he was never given a chance and allowed to leave the club at quite a young age (at the end of 1985).
He coached some junior footy in NZ. I think I heard he went back to Tonga from Collingwood.

He was playing in the Diamond Valley League in 1994, and made this rep team (this was in the pre-season Grand Final Football Record), along with a few other ex-Collingwood players:
View attachment 1067428
Well that blows the Tonga story out. Must have been one of those bullshit lines. "Don't know what happened to him - must have gone back to Tonga."

He was an awesome athlete who was with us from under 19s. No idea why he never got a run.

I agree with what someone else said earlier - would have been developed into a gun in this era.

He was playing in the Diamond Valley League in 1994, and made this rep team (this was in the pre-season Grand Final Football Record), along with a few other ex-Collingwood players:
View attachment 1067428
Just noticed Athas and John Bourke were also in the team. Collingwood reserves royalty and noteriety.

Edit Brad Smith rings a bell too. Was he with us?
We had a Brad Smith play seniors for us (1 game in 2000), but that would not have been him, since he came from WA/Richmond. Neil Brindley and Mark Perkins played senior football for Collingwood, and some others played at lower levels.

I always thought Julian Rowe could've been a star but I just don't think he wanted it enough. He was terrific by foot (could kick beautifully right footed and on his non-preferred left).

Had a great first year in 2004 playing 8 of the last 9 games and seemed to fit in really well on the wing / half forward flank.

Played 16 games in 2005 and looked to be one for the future but he only played 2 games in 2006 and was then delisted.

He then alternated for the next 10 years between Port Melbourne in the VFL and Old Carey in the VAFA and was still one of the better players going around at VFL level each week.

I think he was overtaken by guys like Swan, Pendles, Thomas but still thought he had more to give.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Terry Keays is he was huge for his age and would have killed them in junior footy.
But his disposal was diabolical. Every kick was a Chris Tarrant/Darren Millane floater, but he never had the positive parts to his game that those two had.

The thing about Terry Keays is he was huge for his age and would have killed them in junior footy.
But his disposal was diabolical. Every kick was a Chris Tarrant/Darren Millane floater, but he never had the positive parts to his game that those two had.
He was a bloody big kid, but my sketchy memory of him is a bloke with big talent who got a big stomach.

Mark McGough
Mal Michael - if he stayed at Collingwood

Worst coaching performance. The game was ours. Tarrant should have played on Hawkins. Podsiadly was done for the day. MM cost us that GF
Stevie J was looking menacing - When Pods went down, Taz moved on to him and gave him a bath. God knows what would have happened if Taz had have moved to Hawkins, but I think we were done by a better team that day.

I always thought Julian Rowe could've been a star but I just don't think he wanted it enough. He was terrific by foot (could kick beautifully right footed and on his non-preferred left).

Had a great first year in 2004 playing 8 of the last 9 games and seemed to fit in really well on the wing / half forward flank.

Played 16 games in 2005 and looked to be one for the future but he only played 2 games in 2006 and was then delisted.

He then alternated for the next 10 years between Port Melbourne in the VFL and Old Carey in the VAFA and was still one of the better players going around at VFL level each week.

I think he was overtaken by guys like Swan, Pendles, Thomas but still thought he had more to give.

I remember his game for mighty Port Melbourne v Collingwood in the 2013 first finals match. Had a great game and was a threat all day notching up 6 goals (if my memory serves me correctly). A real asset even though Port melbourne was full of talent in that side.

Does anyone know if Sean Rusling was able to play any local footy after injuries ruined his AFL career?

Does anyone know if Sean Rusling was able to play any local footy after injuries ruined his AFL career?

I believe his body was pretty stuffed post AFL. From memory I think he dislocated his shoulder on the 2010 end of season trip to Vegas.

Don't think he played local footy but he was on SEN not long ago and works for CUB in Tasmania as state sales manger, so he's done well for himself.

Mal Michael.....bloody collingwood

Was at his first game...didnt have any kicks but i remember every time he spoiled would go at least 20m ...why did we get rid of him ?? (Off field stuff)

Mal was let go due to some off-field concerns but he was another we will regret leaving.

I believe his body was pretty stuffed post AFL. From memory I think he dislocated his shoulder on the 2010 end of season trip to Vegas.

Don't think he played local footy but he was on SEN not long ago and works for CUB in Tasmania as state sales manger, so he's done well for himself.

Mal was let go due to some off-field concerns but he was another we will regret leaving.
Will???

Mate we DO

Ryan Lonie. A bit like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, he lacked something internal.
Lonie was fast, a good reader of the play, and could kick the ball as well as Buckley.
The issue with Lonie was he was the fastest player going ball in hand.

Somehow couldn't catch anyone when chasing though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back