Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. My understanding is that NRL & A League crowds have had a larger % decline, cf AFL declines? Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know the % decline in Melb. crowds, cf % decline in AFL games played in other parts of Aust.?

Melb. had a far more severe & lengthy lockdown- I assume the covid fear factor is stronger. It has also been reported that public transport useage has dropped considerably in Melb., cf pre covid useage; & road congestion is similar to pre covid congestion, despite many people in office jobs still working from home- a fewer non-CBD workers visiting the CBD.

What is your evidence of this, & where, re Auskick? Please provide details.

The Herald Sun reported 21.3.21 that the Yarra JFL in Melb. is reporting record jnr FC registration nos. for jnr comp. footy.

Fitzroy FC (VAFA) has more snr players in March 2021, cf March 2020
It will run 4 adult male (+ U19's) teams ( & several female adult teams) in 2021. It planned to run 3 adult teams (+U19's) in 2020.
I also understand that Marcellin Old Boys FC (VAFA) has more adult male players in March 2021, cf March 2020.
I’m pretty sure I read the Auskick statistic in The Australian about two weeks ago as part of a broader football participation update article...

Watching the dogs v eagles game yesterday, it definitely felt like there was more than 21k there.
EVen the Eagles appeared to have a bit of support.
I've been to heaps of Dogs games with average 20-25k attendance and that game was louder than all of them. Surprising.

Watching the dogs v eagles game yesterday, it definitely felt like there was more than 21k there.
EVen the Eagles appeared to have a bit of support.

I've been to the large majority of our games there over the last 20 years and I was very surprised with that figure - thought it was a few thousand more.

Maybe, quite a few attendees weren't registered by the staff with hand-held scanners rather than the usual gate scanners.

Last edited:
Possibly. My understanding is that NRL & A League crowds have had a larger % decline, cf AFL declines? Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know the % decline in Melb. crowds, cf % decline in AFL games played in other parts of Aust.?

Melb. had a far more severe & lengthy lockdown- I assume the covid fear factor is stronger. It has also been reported that public transport useage has dropped considerably in Melb., cf pre covid useage; & road congestion is similar to pre covid congestion, despite many people in office jobs still working from home- a fewer non-CBD workers visiting the CBD.

What is your evidence of this, & where, re Auskick? Please provide details.

The Herald Sun reported 21.3.21 that the Yarra JFL in Melb. is reporting record jnr FC registration nos. for jnr comp. footy.

Also, Fitzroy FC (VAFA) has more snr players in March 2021, cf March 2020
It will run 4 adult male (+ U19's) teams ( & several female adult teams) in 2021. It planned to run only 3 adult male teams (+U19's) in 2020.
I also understand that Marcellin Old Boys FC (VAFA) has more male players in March 2021, cf March 2020.
Only 41K but the traffic going to the MCG and into the carpark was the worst that I have EVER experienced, including plenty of finals and 80K crowds. Also the MCG app was did not have the correct information re car parks which made matters worse. Would not drive again, and less inclined to go to every game this year as a result.

Loved being at the footy yesterday but it was the proverbial pain being online for 30 minutes getting tickets. If we need to do that every week, it will have an effect when people decide whether to attend or not.

I also think many people have become more insular and self protective during this lockdown and isolating period and are reluctant to go to city venues and certainly to catch transport to get there.

It will take time and some good marketing to get people back to the footy even after Covid has passed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After trying to get tickets for Cats v Hawks, I know why crowds will be down all season.
Quite simply - away team members that have game entry as part of their membership (Hawthorn members always get into this game for free as a designated game due to Tassie), usually get to go for free - you can get GA - standing room or level 4 for no cost and no hassle.
This year there is no GA or standing, and the cheapest tickets for away members were $28 for an adult, and same for my teenage kids (concession), and $20 for a six year old. So four tickets that are usually free, would cost me over $100. It was a fairly stressful 30 mins on Ticketek, I kept thinking I had made a mistake. Absolute joke. Profiteering from Geelong/AFL and reckon it will cost them 10,000 in crowd numbers.
Won't go close to selling out. I am still deciding what I will do.

Profiteering from Geelong/AFL and reckon it will cost them 10,000 in crowd numbers.
The game will be lucky to have 40,000. Should've been moved to KP.

It's not the cats fault, it's AFL/Ticketek and their shitshow of a process with trying to make it as complicated as possible to maximise $ over getting people into the games.

(There's a reason why Carlton/Collingwood couldn't crack past 50k when by all rights it should have)

In an environment where there are still restrictions, it kind of makes sense that you auction off the available seats.

Interestingly, there appear to be no restrictions at all for members going to the game at Manuka Oval. Even get to sit in my own seat.

I know Ballarat a week or so back was authorised around 8,000 the 11k capacity for next week. Wonder if that changed.

After trying to get tickets for Cats v Hawks, I know why crowds will be down all season.
Quite simply - away team members that have game entry as part of their membership (Hawthorn members always get into this game for free as a designated game due to Tassie), usually get to go for free - you can get GA - standing room or level 4 for no cost and no hassle.
This year there is no GA or standing, and the cheapest tickets for away members were $28 for an adult, and same for my teenage kids (concession), and $20 for a six year old. So four tickets that are usually free, would cost me over $100. It was a fairly stressful 30 mins on Ticketek, I kept thinking I had made a mistake. Absolute joke. Profiteering from Geelong/AFL and reckon it will cost them 10,000 in crowd numbers.
Won't go close to selling out. I am still deciding what I will do.
Based on a look right now It looks like the same issue that happned on Sunday will happen again. The cheerssquads will be loners on level 1.

It usually only gets 8 - 9000 anyway!

The last one vs Adelaide was 9560 but was a sell out during the week. Infact alot of them have sold more than attended reportedly. It can also be hard to actually reach the limit when it's not all seating yet. (6k are).

The last one vs Adelaide was 9560 but was a sell out during the week. Infact alot of them have sold more than attended reportedly. It can also be hard to actually reach the limit when it's not a
As I said its gets about 9000 on ave in fact the biggest AFL crowd ever was 10,087 - 19/08/17: AFL: Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide but the standing room on the grassed outer never seems be full.

Ticket sales look very poor in Melbourne again this weekend. I guess a lot of contributing factors (Covid, easter holidays, difficulties booking tickets) but that has to surely be a worry for the AFL.

28k at Marvel tonight. Once again quite a bit under what you would normally expect, but seems on par for 2021 crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back