Autopsy Freo Belt North But Didn’t Score 100, Time to Rebuild - Rd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

One aspect that concerned me a little was our pressure on North's transition was non existent at times.
Okay we held it in well for extended periods, but when it got out they scored too easily.

yep..I’m glad jlo wasn’t impressed withour defence,we need to man up better. Cox was great again last night, the rest were loose.

He hasn't been this bad before, there was even an article saying that he was one of the more accurate goal kicking mids. Seems like he's over thinking it at the moment and trying to force his way through
Agree. I think he has the yips at the moment but it will turn. In any event we know that he will be driven to correct it.

At 750k per year Lobb ain't a moneyball.
My memories of what Lobb did best at GWS and when he first arrived for us is of a mobile forward/second ruck, marking everything. Especially up on the wing, or as a one man wall when the opposition is trying to clear their defense. The main issue now is that we seem to want him to be a goal kicking CHF.

+ Brayshaw dealt with the tag a lot better in the first half. Then dominated once Mundy got the extra attention.
+ Fyfe's work in the midfield.
+ Mundy's work in the midfield.
+ Darcy coming so much more involved in the games now and it's a big positive.
+ Tabs' and how far he's come over the past 5-6 years.
+ Schultz is clearly our best small forward and has proved me totally wrong. Good pressure, good skills and good goal sense.
+ I thought Hughes had a really solid game. Never takes a step back, really tight defensively and his kicking was more than serviceable.

- Not sure where it fell apart but defensively we gave North so much space in the middle of the ground. They were consistently able to go through the middle.
- Thought Frederick had a poor game. The dew didn't help with his skills but his efforts didn't seem to match his output in previous games.
- Treacy. Same as Henry, too far off the pace. Give him some time at WAFL. Would prefer to give Sturt some games in his place.
- Lobb.. maybe he's still building from his injuries but I'm thinking the Meek and Darcy combo was working better for us.
- I'm not as sold on Chapman as the rest of this board seems. Can't put my finger on it.
- Great to see Serong get so involved but I thought he rushed his disposals too much last night. One thing that he has been so good at so far has been pulling his kicks when better options present. Last night he went long to often for my liking. 35 disposals and only 3 score involvements. 49% disposal eff.

50pt win is great. But you could tell JLo thought we didn't play anywhere near our best.

I think Yeti has worked it out.

Out: Justin Longmuir
In: John Longmire.

Lobb touched the ball 18 times and had 8 score involvements. If he could add a goal or two to that he’s played a very good game.

He’s not worth 750k bit I don’t think that should be held against him as much as it is. He’s playing his role and is easily in the best 22. Happy to have him at the club and re-negotiate a more appropriate contact next year.

Happy with where we are right now, but it’s the next 4 weeks that will determine where we are at. Eagles, Brisbane, Essendon and Sydney, all of which we will go in the outsider bar maybe Essendon.
Disagree, with being outsiders on most of them given they’ll be at home
+ Brayshaw dealt with the tag a lot better in the first half. Then dominated once Mundy got the extra attention.
+ Fyfe's work in the midfield.
+ Mundy's work in the midfield.
+ Darcy coming so much more involved in the games now and it's a big positive.
+ Tabs' and how far he's come over the past 5-6 years.
+ Schultz is clearly our best small forward and has proved me totally wrong. Good pressure, good skills and good goal sense.
+ I thought Hughes had a really solid game. Never takes a step back, really tight defensively and his kicking was more than serviceable.

- Not sure where it fell apart but defensively we gave North so much space in the middle of the ground. They were consistently able to go through the middle.
- Thought Frederick had a poor game. The dew didn't help with his skills but his efforts didn't seem to match his output in previous games.
- Treacy. Same as Henry, too far off the pace. Give him some time at WAFL. Would prefer to give Sturt some games in his place.
- Lobb.. maybe he's still building from his injuries but I'm thinking the Meek and Darcy combo was working better for us.
- I'm not as sold on Chapman as the rest of this board seems. Can't put my finger on it.
- Great to see Serong get so involved but I thought he rushed his disposals too much last night. One thing that he has been so good at so far has been pulling his kicks when better options present. Last night he went long to often for my liking. 35 disposals and only 3 score involvements. 49% disposal eff.

50pt win is great. But you could tell JLo thought we didn't play anywhere near our best.
Not sold on Chapman as a future all-time great of the game or not sold on Chapman as an AFL player? As a skinny 193cm+ kid, I’m not sure what else he could have done to show he’ll be at least a very good player for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the * do we not honour leads? Oh that's right it's far better to bomb to a 1v2 or 3 or better yet on top of Walters or Shulz heads? Treacy got ignored how many times when the bloke needs to build his confidence. Tabs was ok but did Tabs things. As a key forward he gets bumped off the contest far too often. Lobby gets 750k a year regardless how well he plays or doesn't play, he's taking the piss and needs a reality check. Walters WAS a great player and has served us well but he's solely playing of reputation now and needs to find form again otherwise swing the axe on him.

lol Jlo sounds really sad in the presser :disappointed:

He has every right to be sad/pissed. We did not play well at all, but North may just be one of the worst teams I have ever seen. They are Melbourne 2013 bad.

Our skills are still not good enough. Players who don't improve their skills should be dropped.

Positives

-There's just not enough praise being thrown Serong's way. Dude has played what - 20 games? He is a quick, aggressive and an unbelievably skilled footballer. He is tracking better than what Fyfe, Neale, Barlow, Hill, Bradshaw and Hasleby were at the same age and stage of their career.

- Mundy 4 Brownlow should be the tag, he would have polled in every game and at this stage I'd have him Top 5 in the comp comfortably. Fyfes been robbing him of votes for years but I don't think he will this time around. That dance through the traffic in front of goal was better than anything I've seen from any of our crumbers.

- Taberner is in excellent form, Schulz just keep elevating, Fyfe had a great game in the middle. Excellent to see Wilson, Cox, Acres and Aish playing to the best of their ability.

- Hughes kick to (was it) Darcy from the middle? His shining moment and the commentators called him Tucker!!

Negatives

- covid, it really seemed to get to Jlo in the presser. PTSD from the hub last year? Or was it just our moment to shine and the club is struggling ekthout the $$$
- Quite a few passengers at present, Treacy and Frederick quite raw still. Chapman working into it but getting little from Walters, and Crowden.

Seeing this game within the context of the season...

+ve
Heaps to build on this year and from this game. Not everything has clicked at all but the season is still far from over. We've clearly improved and I can see us getting stronger as the season goes on if we can get some continuity.

-ve
Feel bad for Freo supporters that didn't seem to enjoy a 50 point win. The last 5 or 6 years have been too tough to not at least enjoy the wins.

This is intended to be inflammatory and is in jest.

If you've just seen your team smashed by almost 100 points then it's going to be hard to get up emotionally for your other team winning by less than the same margin.

The harbour masters just had a 148 point winning weekend.

Walters need to be dropped for a few weeks. His body language is horrible, tackles broken easily, flopping, it’s an embarrassment and not what we should stand for as a club

Case in point about half full or half empty.

He's clearly not at his best but he did a few good things last night. HTB tackle on Goldstein, setting up a few other goals. I thought he was better than previous weeks but he does need to continue to lift.

If Adelaide lose, Mark Ricciuto will perform Seppuku with the nearest sharp implement live on air. 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back