2nds 2021 Peel Thunder (Freo Reserves) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Unbelievable work rate from giro , ball drop looking better too. No second position though so it’s wing or bust for him I suppose

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

+ves
  • Henry's class - possible world record for goal assists
  • Treacy and Sturt set shot kicking
  • Giro's and Bewley's work on the outside was top notch
  • Valente (or Johnson or whatever his name is) is looking better and better on the inside every game
  • Banfield (before he got injured, it was his best game of the year)
  • Meek's ruck work was solid
  • Bell (Peel) found his mojo in the forward line again
  • Great to see Howlett (Peel) back and leading the side well
-ves
  • Blakely is going backwards
  • O'Driscoll is miles off it (read nothing into it - needs to play midfield at Reserves imo)
  • Merrett (Peel) was awful today - not sure what was going on there?
  • Peel back line really aren't very good - could have won that game by 150 if they were.
  • Banfield's injury

There is so much talent in Henry, Sturt and Treacy. Absurd. Maybe all three are just overthinking it at AFL level at the moment. The talent is brilliant to see.
Meek was very good again
Thomas and Walker must be going real bad if they're getting booted down to the reserves ahead of O'Driscoll

I think Treacy's 12 hitouts today were important - if he is going to replace Lobb (assume Lobb still continues to do very little) then he is going to need to play as a backup ruckman when not forward.

Don’t like his chances in a Centre bounce but pretty strong around the ground

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I don't think it is that. Thomas is a Cat B rookie so lowest on the totem pole. Walker isn't 100% yet I think.
Thomas was 24th man at the start of the year, travelled to Melbourne. What has happened? Is it onfield or off field?

In the future it'll be very hard to fit Henry, Sturt and Cyclone in our forward line. I reckon Crowden and Lobb would have to get the chop.

The problem we’re going to have, and it’s a good one is assuming our fitness staff are actually, finally getting on top of injuries is how to fit the up & comers in.
Finally some real pressure from below on incumbent players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the future it'll be very hard to fit Henry, Sturt and Cyclone in our forward line. I reckon Crowden and Lobb would have to get the chop.
You say that like there's a downside?

Thomas was 24th man at the start of the year, travelled to Melbourne. What has happened? Is it onfield or off field?
To be fair we had about 26 fit lads available that day out of the entire list. Big difference to now.
O’Driscoll disposal is giving me some serious Blakely vibes... he has a long way to go

Thought O’Driscoll worked his way into the game in the last quarter, got a bit to go, but he should be ok.

He did get better towards the end but is he really a lockdown defender which seemed to be his role today? He was much more enjoyable to watch as an onballer / wing who tackled manically but also had the pace to break away from packs last year.

Still doesn't explain why he wasn't picked for peel league team
Seems that they are only allowed to name 11 freo players in the peel 22. I’m guessing Thomas is the 38th man on the list or thereabouts. About 10 players have come back from injury since round 1 and slotted in ahead of Leno in the order.

+ves
  • Henry's class - possible world record for goal assists
  • Treacy and Sturt set shot kicking
  • Giro's and Bewley's work on the outside was top notch
  • Valente (or Johnson or whatever his name is) is looking better and better on the inside every game
  • Banfield (before he got injured, it was his best game of the year)
  • Meek's ruck work was solid
  • Bell (Peel) found his mojo in the forward line again
  • Great to see Howlett (Peel) back and leading the side well
-ves
  • Blakely is going backwards
  • O'Driscoll is miles off it (read nothing into it - needs to play midfield at Reserves imo)
  • Merrett (Peel) was awful today - not sure what was going on there?
  • Peel back line really aren't very good - could have won that game by 150 if they were.
  • Banfield's injury

How about Western? How did he go?

To be fair we had about 26 fit lads available that day out of the entire list. Big difference to now.
O’Driscoll disposal is giving me some serious Blakely vibes... he has a long way to go

Nah looks a different player to the intensity beast he showed last year

I bet he's the best AFL player that was on the field for us today by the time they are all finished

25 touches 8 tackles 8 marks and s**t load of 2 way running type player but yeah he's no dusty on the leg

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of the best bits of play was Henry's long left handed handball inboard when he was making the play along the boundary line. It must have gone about 20m to Western who returned it and Henry continued to run giving it on with a perfect left foot pass to Bell who converted a set shot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back