List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as a McClure bashing is a good bit of fun, he's making a point that JK won't be making GWS stick to the agreed 8 year $8 million contract. Disappointing if so.
Alternatively it's an act in narrative building to actually put public pressure and expectation on Josh to take a lesser deal. Wouldn't be the first time a club has gotten the media to do their dirty work for them, just look at some of the pressure created on Treloar last year before he finally had enough.

As much as a McClure bashing is a good bit of fun, he's making a point that JK won't be making GWS stick to the agreed 8 year $8 million contract. Disappointing if so.

Lol I was wondering what everyone was posting about, so quick to bash someone they didn’t even read the quote properly or listen to it 😂😂

They’ll sweeten it up with an ambassador role and a third party deal something. What’s the AFL going to do? Fine them and pay with their own money?

No, it's nothing to do with fining them. They won't have breached any rules so why would a fine apply?

It's as simple as recognition that the JK contract situation is now an undesirable one for them. The 8-year trigger deal is too costly - they made a mistake, not a breach - and they would be prudent in trying to get themselves out of it. If part of the deal for getting Josh to walk away from it is paying a bit of his salary going forward, then that's probably palatable to them. Not unlike the Treloar arrangement, only Collingwood made it messy by not being genuine about the reason for moving him. Josh and GWS would appear to have a far more transparent relationship and he knows he would be doing them a favour by getting an outcome that doesn't cost them $1m x 8.

Not as silly as it sounds, strangely enough. Corrupt pricks. But would take it in this instance.
Gosh you make it sound like the AFL is not an honest and respectable business. Almost like they’d manipulate anything to procure the right outcome for themselves. How would they do that though, it’s not like they have their own media numpties in place to control the narrative.
Next you’ll be telling me they didn’t try and do this with the * drug scandal.
Whats after that? West Coast’s drug culture was swept under the carpet.
I just won’t hear of it.

I think the suggestion is that he won't hold them to that.
That would be BS if they are allowed to rip up a contract

That would be like buddy not holding swans to 1.5mil this year and 1 mil next year

If so even more beneficial to try get him if he stays and doesn’t blow up their cap we don’t benefit

That would be BS if they are allowed to rip up a contract

That would be like buddy not holding swans to 1.5mil this year and 1 mil next year

If so even more beneficial to try get him if he stays and doesn’t blow up their cap we don’t benefit

Apples and oranges.

Josh can choose not to trigger it and sign a new contract. There are no triggers in Buddy's contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it's nothing to do with fining them. They won't have breached any rules so why would a fine apply?

It's as simple as recognition that the JK contract situation is now an undesirable one for them. The 8-year trigger deal is too costly - they made a mistake, not a breach - and they would be prudent in trying to get themselves out of it. If part of the deal for getting Josh to walk away from it is paying a bit of his salary going forward, then that's probably palatable to them. Not unlike the Treloar arrangement, only Collingwood made it messy by not being genuine about the reason for moving him. Josh and GWS would appear to have a far more transparent relationship and he knows he would be doing them a favour by getting an outcome that doesn't cost them $1m x 8.

I understand that. Spose I’m just being overly cynical in my thinking that the AFL will work with GWS to allow them to keep Josh and not have to worry about cap pressure that applies to everyone except the 2 clubs they own.

So, the CBA section 21.1 (g) says this:

An AFL Club and a Player shall not include provision in a Standard Playing Contract which would entitle either party to unilaterally exercise an option to extend the term of a Player’s contract.

The way I read this, the "8 year extension" isn’t actually a thing, beyond an in-principle agreement to maybe extend the existing deal. While it would burn goodwill with Josh and his agent, GWS are entirely within their rights to say sorry mate, things have changed, COVID, cap reductions, can’t afford it, let’s renegotiate at your market value. This would of course be paving the way for him to leave via FA. I can’t see a sign-and-trade deal getting done either, so no chance of them picking up any of his cap hit.

Put another way, JK doesn’t have a "contract" so much as a "press release".

The way I read this, the "8 year extension" isn’t actually a thing, beyond an in-principle agreement to maybe extend the existing deal. While it would burn goodwill with Josh and his agent, GWS are entirely within their rights to say sorry mate, things have changed, COVID, cap reductions, can’t afford it, let’s renegotiate at your market value. This would of course be paving the way for him to leave via FA. I can’t see a sign-and-trade deal getting done either, so no chance of them picking up any of his cap hit.

This makes a bunch of sense.

Because there is no way that with a million a year on the table he walks away.
There is no way that a contracted player is a Free Agent.
and the idea of contracting and then trading seems convoluted.

but if there is no contract then he is freer to be able to move and GWS by reneging will create almost an untenable position there.

Also means that the team that takes him won't have to match the insanity put forward by their "press release"

What if it's the reverse situation though, where the contract runs the extra 8 years but with Josh having the ability to unilaterally end the contract after 2 years. Then they just rephrase it in the media because it sounds better to say "He decided not to extend" rather than "He decided to end his contract early"

That's very interesting. It appears that both parties, AFL & AFLPA, have agreed to waive the right to include a common contractual clause (extension option) in player contracts.

What if it's the reverse situation though, where the contract runs the extra 8 years but with Josh having the ability to unilaterally end the contract after 2 years. Then they just rephrase it in the media because it sounds better to say "He decided not to extend" rather than "He decided to end his contract early"
You're right, the wording doesn't say you can't unilaterally cut a contract short. And while I Am Not A Lawyer, I suspect that sort of thing would be viewed as trying to get around the intentions of the CBA with semantic funny business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back