Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Gold Coast - thank f***ing Christ it's over

Remove this Banner Ad

I sincerely hope that one of the favourite whipping boys on this board, Charlie Lazzaro, gets a full game rather than being just a bench warmer and put on the field for a burst. I would like him to get into the rythym of the game, I believe that he could be a very good winger or play on the HFF.

He has to play midfield or nothing.

SATURDAYS 22

B: Dawson McKay Goater
HB: Perez Corr Bergman
C: Ford Powell Scott
HF: Thomas Xerri Lazzaro
F: Curtis Larkey Turner
R: Goldstein Greenwood Sheezel
I: Simpkin Tucker Phillips Taylor

ROUND 1 2024

B: Archer Curtin Goater
HB: Reid Corr Bergman
C: Ford LDU Scott
HF: Thomas Comben Stephenson
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldstein Wardlaw Sheezel
I: Simpkin Sanders Phillips George
E: Shiels Tucker Greenwood Powell

Could be as many as 10 changes to tomorrow's team compared to what could run out in round 1 next year.
That second side just oozes talent. Currently I would say we're only missing 5 best 22 players so as much as we wont win tomorrow, I cant see us getting completely belted.
Farewell games for McKay, Turner, Dawson and Perez.

Last edited:
Currently I would say we're only missing 5 best 22 players so as much as wont win I cant see us getting completely belted.

I doubt we will be belted.

I expect it to be pretty bruise free.

I actually think it will be similar to last week where we can generate enough of the ball (we were on equal disposals last week) but we cannot do enough with it (we lost by 5 goals).

Most teams have only needed 10-15 minutes where they were really on to put us away. I expect Saturday to be no different.

SATURDAYS 22

B: Dawson McKay Goater
HB: Perez Corr Bergman
C: Ford Powell Scott
HF: Thomas Xerri Lazzaro
F: Curtis Larkey Turner
R: Goldstein Greenwood Sheezel
I: Simpkin Tucker Phillips Taylor

ROUND 1 2024

B: Archer Curtin Goater
HB: Reid Corr Bergman
C: Ford LDU Scott
HF: Thomas Comben Stephenson
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldstein Wardlaw Sheezel
I: Simpkin Sanders Phillips George
E: Shiels Tucker Greenwood Powell

Could be as many as 10 changes to tomorrow's team compared to what could run out in round 1 next year.
That second side just oozes talent. Currently I would say we're only missing 5 best 22 players so as much as wont win I cant see us getting completely belted.
Farewell games for McKay, Turner, Dawson and Perez tomorrow.
You want to stick a defense out there at AFL level with 1 guy who has 130 games experience, 3 guys with 30 games between them and 2 guys with zero games. You want a 4 peat of spoons?

You want to stick a defense out there at AFL level with 1 guy who has 130 games experience, 3 guys with 30 games between them and 2 guys with zero games. You want a 4 peat of spoons?
Curtain and Reid will need exposure and I'd expect them to be getting games early in the season. 2024 will still be a development year (and I'm not preaching to you by the way). Bons will get games and the new blokes will rotate in and out along with Archer, Goater and Bergman as well as Tucker. Later in the year (perhaps) Gus will return. Clearly there's no place for the likes of Young and Dawson unless one is retained for depth, but that will really depend on whether or not McKay finds a sweet deal and goes or if he stays. If that happens, Reid will almost certainly replace one of those forwards (Curtis or Steevo) and by gosh, that "It's Happening" GIF will be almost worn out by season's end.

The difference is at rd1 I had hope that we’d progress. Rd20 I knew we weren’t but didn’t think we could get below the Eagles, rd23 we are last and have the opportunity to take the clear best player (imo) in the draft for years.

Is Reid really better than Sheezel, Daicos, Judas, possibly Warlord, Rowell, Noah Anderson and even (gasp) Logan McDonald?

Cos there are some bloody good players in that list.

Curtain and Reid will need exposure and I'd expect them to be getting games early in the season. 2024 will still be a development year (and I'm not preaching to you by the way). Bons will get games and the new blokes will rotate in and out along with Archer, Goater and Bergman as well as Tucker. Later in the year (perhaps) Gus will return. Clearly there's no place for the likes of Young and Dawson unless one is retained for depth, but that will really depend on whether or not McKay finds a sweet deal and goes or if he stays. If that happens, Reid will almost certainly replace one of those forwards (Curtis or Steevo) and by gosh, that "It's Happening" GIF will be almost worn out by season's end.
If the Fisher rumour is true then he'll be there. Then we'll have another key defender that will come in via trade. Whether is Melican, Baldwin or someone else. So yep, there's going to be 6 or 7 blokes playing for the last 3 spots.

You can't just stick a bunch of kids together and hope they go ok. You need big bodies and leadership around them.

I’ve never actually wanted us to lose until this game. The positives of getting the number 1 pick far out weigh some fleeting excitement that a win will provide . Take what we can from the draft and start again pre season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is only one outcome to this game where we will not be questioned on, which is to draw.

If we lose, we will be branded as tanking regardless of our current win loss or relative position to Gold Coast or injury list. Barrett the gutter snipe has already begun in on us with this. My read on that is that he expects us to lose and is basically just rolling the pitch for a follow up next week. The negative around losing the game, the implication of tanking, the flow on to be able to cast draft assistance in a negative light. These become easy things to write or say that will likely generate cut through because everyone loves a negative (and to kick us but whatever).

If we win, then we will see similar content to what Hutchison said about Simmo, calling into question whether winning was the right thing to do, given that we would lose access to Reid, unless the Eagles beat the Crows then it'd be moot anyway. Any draft assistance would still be cast in a negative light, why would they need help if they can beat Gold Coast? Impressive given their injury list and the players they were missing etc.

Above outlines the privilege position the media get to hold where they can absolutely be hypocritical of either outcome. Neither will be viewed as the right thing to have done. We will get shot for both.

If we were to Draw it silences everyone, We have to clearly been trying to win, ergo not tanking, followed by we continue to have access to pick one and haven't "done the wrong thing".

It is also something that there is no way to orchestrate.

I expected us to lose before West Coast won, I don't think that has changed. We are coming off the back of 2 sentimental games where the players couldn't get up for two retirees that will have meant a lot to the entire playing group. If we were going to fire a shot I would have preferred it to happen in the Cunners game at a proper home game. GC have easily accounted for us recently and I expect that just to continue.

Win, lose, or draw the season cannot end fast enough.

That's a big call but fair enough.
Its a ridiculous call. Sheez has just broken the all time disposal record for a first year player. Daicos is leading the coaches votes award in his second year. Anderson is top 10. There is no way he is going to be better than these guys "by a long shot". If he is he's winning all of the Brownlow, Norm Smith and Coleman next year.

Its a ridiculous call. Sheez has just broken the all time disposal record for a first year player. Daicos is leading the coaches votes award in his second year. Anderson is top 10. There is no way he is going to be better than these guys "by a long shot". If he is he's winning all of the Brownlow, Norm Smith and Coleman next year.
Well that's kind of how I feel but people are entitled to their opinions.

I'd love to trade pick one for two picks in the top 5 and end up with Watson and McKercher or a KPP, especially if we get given Sanders somehow and/or get band 1 for Mckay. But its unlikely.

Even if we get end of first PP and trade that and our Port pick for another top 5. GC have a high pick and need to match bids. IE we get end of 1st PP (plus Sanders would be good) then trade that EoF and Ports pick. Then a few weeks later pick 2 for mcKay.

That would be very funny.

The AFL’s integrity has taken a lashing in recent weeks and, once again, it’s on watch at Launceston on Saturday.
It’s called tanking.

Let’s have the dark discussion.

The scenario on Saturday is:

* If North Melbourne beats Gold Coast it will miss out on Harley Reid – as long as West Coast loses at home to Adelaide.

* If the Kangaroos lose, they will finish last. North will then have draft pick No. 1 and either trade it or keep it and select Reid.

It’s a simple, yet murky, equation.

Robbo is right across this one.

Depends on how you rate the roles they play.

And he doesn’t have to do all that next year, we won’t be drafting him based on what he will do next year, it’s about what he’s producing 5 years from now.

Windy af up here though. So they’ll be right down there

Saturday 26 August

Summary Min 4 Max 12Partly cloudy. Chance of any rain: 10%

Hobart area

Partly cloudy. The chance of morning frost in the east. Light winds.
Sun protection not recommended, UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Depends on how you rate the roles they play.

And he doesn’t have to do all that next year, we won’t be drafting him based on what he will do next year, it’s about what he’s producing 5 years from now.
Don't think it depends on the role at all. They're all going to be mids bar Logan. Agree with development but we drafted Wardlaw and George based on the exact same reasoning. Reid will be good, bloody good, but there is no way he's going to far and away better than the guys listed by Ferbs. He will however be the best player in this draft so we MUST take him.

Saturday 26 August

Summary Min 4 Max 12Partly cloudy. Chance of any rain: 10%

Hobart area

Partly cloudy. The chance of morning frost in the east. Light winds.
Sun protection not recommended, UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]
Those are light winds for Hobart, to a normal person they’ll be gale force

Remove this Banner Ad

Back