Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Gold Coast - thank f***ing Christ it's over

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole tanking thing is STOOPID becauee imo we're getting Reid anyway.

The only question is whether we pay WCE a premium for him.

Or get to squeeze a bit of juice out of them over Curtin if we wish

I doubt we will be belted.

I expect it to be pretty bruise free.

I actually think it will be similar to last week where we can generate enough of the ball (we were on equal disposals last week) but we cannot do enough with it (we lost by 5 goals).

Most teams have only needed 10-15 minutes where they were really on to put us away. I expect Saturday to be no different.
Yeah, and it's usually done in a half of a quarter. There have have been quite a lot of games this year when we've been in it at half time. The lack of polish and fitness has been the prevailing factor each time. Sorry for stating the obvious. I don't mind it taking a while. You have to build premiership teams and Richmond proved for years that you can't fluke (you can, but it's never been sustainable Essendon '93), or buy one from other teams off-cuts. Hardwick took over, they had some shocking results and did it the hard way and eventually won flags. It just took them about 30 years to realise it. If we do it the right way, regardless of how long it takes, there will be a strong foundation.

Don't think it depends on the role at all. They're all going to be mids bar Logan. Agree with development but we drafted Wardlaw and George based on the exact same reasoning. Reid will be good, bloody good, but there is no way he's going to far and away better than the guys listed by Ferbs. He will however be the best player in this draft so we MUST take him.

He would have been pick 1 last year if eligible imo.

SATURDAYS 22

B: Dawson McKay Goater
HB: Perez Corr Bergman
C: Ford Powell Scott
HF: Thomas Xerri Lazzaro
F: Curtis Larkey Turner
R: Goldstein Greenwood Sheezel
I: Simpkin Tucker Phillips Taylor

ROUND 1 2024

B: Archer Curtin Goater
HB: Reid Corr Bergman
C: Ford LDU Scott
HF: Thomas Comben Stephenson
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldstein Wardlaw Sheezel
I: Simpkin Sanders Phillips George
E: Shiels Tucker Greenwood Powell

Could be as many as 10 changes to tomorrow's team compared to what could run out in round 1 next year.
That second side just oozes talent. Currently I would say we're only missing 5 best 22 players so as much as we wont win tomorrow, I cant see us getting completely belted.
Farewell games for McKay, Turner, Dawson and Perez.
B: McDonald MELICAN Corr
HB: Reid Archer Fisher
C: Stephens LDU Scott
HF: Simpkin Comben Sheezel
F: George Larkey Zurhaar
R: Flynn Wardlaw Thomas
I: Shiels Sanders Powell CCJ

That’s sort of what I hope it looks like.
Sleevo,Phillips, Greenwood, Goat, Bergman, Xerri in the 2’s

Mark Robinson: Can the AFL stop North Melbourne tanking for Harley Reid?​

Is a loss more valuable than a win this weekend? MARK ROBINSON argues that it is time to a have the dark conversation about tanking in the AFL.

Mark Robinson

The AFL’s integrity has taken a lashing in recent weeks and, once again, it’s on watch at Launceston on Saturday.
It’s called tanking.

Let’s have the dark discussion.

The scenario on Saturday is:

* If North Melbourne beats Gold Coast it will miss out on Harley Reid – as long as West Coast loses at home to Adelaide.

* If the Kangaroos lose, they will finish last. North will then have draft pick No. 1 and either trade it or keep it and select Reid.

It’s a simple, yet murky, equation.
--------------------------------------

So essentially, after going soft on PA after their concussion failure and stuffing up a couple of late game goal line decisions, to prove they have integrity, the AFL need to be all over ~checks notes~ the legitimacy of a potential loss of a team that has lost 72 of their last 83 games.

The way this is being discussed you'd think we were an unbackable favourite going into this match!

*also, as The Warlord pointed out earlier, we play in Hobart not Launceston, but no big deal, just a fact, which is not a media strength!

Mark Robinson: Can the AFL stop North Melbourne tanking for Harley Reid?​

Is a loss more valuable than a win this weekend? MARK ROBINSON argues that it is time to a have the dark conversation about tanking in the AFL.

Mark Robinson

The AFL’s integrity has taken a lashing in recent weeks and, once again, it’s on watch at Launceston on Saturday.
It’s called tanking.

Let’s have the dark discussion.

The scenario on Saturday is:

* If North Melbourne beats Gold Coast it will miss out on Harley Reid – as long as West Coast loses at home to Adelaide.

* If the Kangaroos lose, they will finish last. North will then have draft pick No. 1 and either trade it or keep it and select Reid.

It’s a simple, yet murky, equation.
--------------------------------------

So essentially, after going soft on PA after their concussion failure and stuffing up a couple of late game goal line decisions, to prove they have integrity, the AFL need to be all over ~checks notes~ the legitimacy of a potential loss of a team that has lost 72 of their last 83 games.

The way this is being discussed you'd think we were an unbackable favourite going into this match!

*also, as The Warlord pointed out earlier, we play in Hobart not Launceston, but no big deal, just a fact, which is not a media strength!
Or Robbo, an alternate headline could be bottom placed team loses again to a team above them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should end up a top line match winner like the Dusty, Bont, Patracca types.
At the start of the year I didn’t think we would be within a bulls roar of getting Reid. Thought we would be mid-table maybe. So as part of my commitment to North I will attend no practice matches this pre-season in fear of putting the mozz on them. 🙏

Remove this Banner Ad

Back