Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Gold Coast - thank f***ing Christ it's over

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what Noble thinks of the season.
We’ve improved and there’s an actual game plan developing
Nobles game plan was kick it sideways till we turn it over and
The thrashing have practically disappeared

This may well be a classic dead rubber game, but i reckon not too many Suns would be wanting to have ordinary games, with Dimma watching on, after he said he will be attending exit interviews in the next couple of weeks.
Agree, they'll be up and about for this.

While this isnt exactly the same as winning the first game on change over of coaches ' l would like to know the percentages as its must be more than less" its the next best thing..GC players will be trying to win and show Dimma what he has to work with for season 2024...This is the perfect time to rest and prepare some players for upcoming surgery and bring in others to see what they have to offer for next season...

I thought we would have been up and about last year after signing Clarko and they smashed us by 60+ points.
I posted this somewhere else in this thread: We were sh*t last year, we're slightly less sh*t this year.

We should be cautious of seeming like we sre tanking this game. Its not a good look for draft assistance.

We are probably going to lose if we try. GC will be up and about with their new coach.

Thinking this through, I don't think we'll be a lot worse off even if we do win. Assistance with Sanders NGA might be more forthcoming if we get picks 2 and 3 rather than 1/2? The Harley Reid generational saviour also seems a bit over the top.

Mind you, whether we can actually win is another matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do GC want to win?

Them winning gives us the spoon and all the power in trade week and draft

They have to shed about a dozen blokes this off season and their new coach is watching carefully before the off season. They'll be up for it.

Very little chance we win this. They have more talent and would think their age and games experience would be higher than ours and our players' minds would be on their off-season trips whereas they are auditioning for their new coach watching on in the stands.
If we pull off a win, it's great for morale and potentially builds a winning culture (although our earlier wins had little impact and the Lions losing the Raynor cup didn't really matter in the end) but the cost is we miss out on the standout talent who dominates against us for the next decade (especially after not being able to get Daicos, Ashcroft and losing JHF) or we end up trading for that talent in a trade with WCE but it costs us our Port 1st which sets us back even further in our build. That's why I'm quite torn on it but I will never wish us to lose. I was all set on pick 2 and taking a kid without pressure on them, that's why the WCE result has thrown me a little. Also, there is the uncertainty of the McKay situation as well, it's not a guaranteed we have McKay compo. I guess we'll see what happens.

What we do know from last week is winning pick 1 means nothing to the players on the field. Clarko is right, they go out to win. You can't "tank" games like this, short of dropping the better fitter players and sending Turner to full back. The problem is we just aren't good enough but I expect we'll try to be.

Very little chance we win this. They have more talent and would think their age and games experience would be higher than ours and our players' minds would be on their off-season trips whereas they are auditioning for their new coach watching on in the stands.
If we pull off a win, it's great for morale and potentially builds a winning culture (although our earlier wins had little impact and the Lions losing the Raynor cup didn't really matter in the end) but the cost is we miss out on the standout talent who dominates against us for the next decade (especially after not being able to get Daicos, Ashcroft and losing JHF) or we end up trading for that talent in a trade with WCE but it costs us our Port 1st which sets us back even further in our build. That's why I'm quite torn on it but I will never wish us to lose. I was all set on pick 2 and taking a kid without pressure on them, that's why the WCE result has thrown me a little. Also, there is the uncertainty of the McKay situation as well, it's not a guaranteed we have McKay compo. I guess we'll see what happens.

Nothing is guaranteed.

What if we get Reid/Curtin and Watson kicks bags against us for the next 10 years for fun?
Or McKercher slices us up like Merrett does every time we play *?

Just let the cards fall where they may instead of trying to get cute with it.

Nothing is guaranteed.

What if we get Reid/Curtin and Watson kicks bags against us for the next 10 years for fun?

I agree. We have our top 5 rated, and we definitely get one, possibly two, and if we rate Sanders top 5, we might get 3. Some teams have their top 15 players and have a realistic chance of not getting any of them.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Any other year I would agree with you but it's not as easy a call when there is a clear no. 1 kid who can turn games.
Last year Aschroft wasn't so far ahead of Sheezel and Sheez was who I was hoping we'd pick at no. 3.
It's like saying you wouldn't take Daicos over Cadman/Sheezel/Wardlaw/Tsatas, you just would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back