Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

A solid radio show with a good music curator is still a much better way to expose yourself to new (or new to you) music than Spotify/Amazon etc suggestions.

The streamers still give you stuff that is a bit samey, and someone on a radio can add to the experience by giving some background the song / artist / recording.

A local community radio station often does full album playthroughs, heard a few things on there that hooked me in more than just playing the bigger songs, as spotify/youtube/whatever is prone to do.

lol they have released 10 albums so yeahhhhhh WAY more bog ordinary albums than good.
It's not a black and white case of two great albums, eight bad albums. There is Nothing Left to Lose is still a very good album with some great songs on it, there are some great songs on both one by One and In your Honour, and Wasting Light is underrated. The last three albums are more average.

And Sex Pistols are legendary, it's not just the quality of the music, but the impact it had on both the genre and society.

It's not a black and white case of two great albums, eight bad albums. There is Nothing Left to Lose is still a very good album with some great songs on it, there are some great songs on both one by One and In your Honour, and Wasting Light is underrated. The last three albums are more average.
I really liked ESP&G - I know they went for something different but it was still really good.

Anyway I think every album from Nothing left to lose onwards had a strong first half and a weak second half.

Sonic highways and concrete and gold were a real dip down and I have only heard one song off their latest album.

I really liked ESP&G - I know they went for something different but it was still really good.

Anyway I think every album from Nothing left to lose onwards had a strong first half and a weak second half.

Sonic highways and concrete and gold were a real dip down and I have only heard one song off their latest album.
I think you're right, they have a strong top end, but fall away a little quickly. Up until Wasting Light, they always had a couple of top notch singles on every album, which coupled with the first two albums, cements their status, imo. Hell, even Run off Concrete and Gold was very good.

I haven't heard ESP&G for a while, but remember liking a couple of songs off, same with Sonic Highways. To their credit, they were trying something new with both of those. Have only listened to their last album a handful of times, it has a couple of decent tunes, but no real standout and also falls away quickly.

There's really nothing wrong with being a bit average.

AC/DC have been a bit average for 40 years bar like two albums, but I don't believe there's been any bad ones.

Take what you like and forget what you don't, as long as it isn't destructively bad.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

There's really nothing wrong with being a bit average.

AC/DC have been a bit average for 40 years bar like two albums, but I don't believe there's been any bad ones.

Take what you like and forget what you don't, as long as it isn't destructively bad.

I’m the same. Would prefer a bunch of average albums than a really good album, an ok album and a bunch of mediocre album. And I know you love your Acca Dacca edgie but that’s a perfect example of a band that never wasted an album but never really flew off the page. Cold chisel the same.

actually cold chisel are overrated in my opinion. My fabourite song of theirs is bow river coz Ian moss sings it. ;)

Never flew off the page? Much of the Bon stuff is peak rock n roll and Back in Black is a hard rock goat for a reason.

Well obviously Back in black is phenomenal and what I’ve heard of the Bon Scott era is pretty good (mainly from you in the song contest) but apart from that I mean. There’s a reason some bands stay around and stay relevant longer than others.

Well obviously Back in black is phenomenal and what I’ve heard of the Bon Scott era is pretty good (mainly from you in the song contest) but apart from that I mean. There’s a reason some bands stay around and stay relevant longer than others.
Fair enough.

AC/DC haven't strayed from one style, but you can be at the forefront of that style or you can be in the pack.

Early in their career they were at the front, setting the pace really, had a reputation for upstaging any of the bigger name bands they would open for.

For most of the last 40 years they've been in the pack surviving on reputation and fans. There's still good single and good album cuts but not the start to finish journey it used to be.

And there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

A solid radio show with a good music curator is still a much better way to expose yourself to new (or new to you) music than Spotify/Amazon etc suggestions.

The streamers still give you stuff that is a bit samey, and someone on a radio can add to the experience by giving some background the song / artist / recording.

Agree to a certain extent, The problem with radio is some stations don't tell you the songs that have just been played and often I have heard a song I really liked and then tried to remember the lyrics or go to the stations website for a playlist, only to never find out what the song was and never ever getting to hear it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree to a certain extent, The problem with radio is some stations don't tell you the songs that have just been played and often I have heard a song I really liked and then tried to remember the lyrics or go to the stations website for a playlist, only to never find out what the song was and never ever getting to hear it again.

Yeah I even went as far as emailing a radio station once but got no response. Your best bet these days is to try to remember some of the lyrics for a search afterwards.

Yeah I even went as far as emailing a radio station once but got no response. Your best bet these days is to try to remember some of the lyrics for a search afterwards.

Or grabbing your phone and using Shazam or Soundhound.

I wouldn't call either legendary.

Bollocks is a couple of decent tracks short of it being a great album, despite the presence of 4 classic songs.
I reckon Bollocks was a great album, but I think their legendary status is largely based on their media appearances and implosion. Plenty of great albums by bands and singers that have been forgotten.

These Colours Don't Run has a chorus that I'll put up against any Maiden song, classic. I had tickets for them in May 2020, would have been my third time but at least I have seen em I guess
"Brighter than a thousand suns" goes alright on that album too i reckon.

2020 would've been my third time also, first was the World Slavery tour in 85, the second time I celebrated my 38th birthday rocking out to them on the Some Where Back In Time Tour in 08.
*in love this band!

post script: i forgot about Maiden headlining Soundwave in 2011. so 2020 would've been my 4th Maiden show

Last edited:
I’m the same. Would prefer a bunch of average albums than a really good album, an ok album and a bunch of mediocre album. And I know you love your Acca Dacca edgie but that’s a perfect example of a band that never wasted an album but never really flew off the page. Cold chisel the same.

actually cold chisel are overrated in my opinion. My fabourite song of theirs is bow river coz Ian moss sings it. ;)

Nah, have to disagree there. Chisel are legends, and I don’t use that word lightly.
Don Walker is one of the greatest songwriters this country has ever produced.
No one writes Australian suburbia like him.
The other members wrote some pretty handy tunes as well.

Fair enough.

AC/DC haven't strayed from one style, but you can be at the forefront of that style or you can be in the pack.

Early in their career they were at the front, setting the pace really, had a reputation for upstaging any of the bigger name bands they would open for.

For most of the last 40 years they've been in the pack surviving on reputation and fans. There's still good single and good album cuts but not the start to finish journey it used to be.

And there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

I really like Fly On The Wall.

Phew, glad I got that off my chest.

"Brighter than a thousand suns" goes alright on that album too i reckon.

2020 would've been my third time also, first was the World Slavery tour in 85, the second time I celebrated my 38th birthday rocking out to them on the Some Where Back In Time Tour in 08.
fu**in love this band!

post script: i forgot about Maiden headlining Soundwave in 2011. so 2020 would've been my 4th Maiden show
You lucky bastard. I only got into them 4 years after the World Slavery tour, then had to wait until Soundwave to see them. Saw them again on the Book of Souls tour where some of their new songs were surprisingly good live, and yeah should've seen them last month.

I live in hope they'll go round once more when the world returns to normal but not holding my breath

Nah, have to disagree there. Chisel are legends, and I don’t use that word lightly.
Don Walker is one of the greatest songwriters this country has ever produced.
No one writes Australian suburbia like him.
The other members wrote some pretty handy tunes as well.

I reckon Ian Moss is one of the more underrated guitarists going around too, amazing guitarist, never overplays, he's all class.

On topic I think Mark Knopfler should be up there with Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour and all the ones everyone says, , such a great clean player, he mastered the thumb and index finger style of playing on the right hand. Didn't seem to hide behind many effects either, maybe delay but not much that could hide sloppiness, really precise stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back