Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

People hate on Bon Jovi in a way they don’t for other similar acts at the time, like Def Leppard and Aerosmith.

Why is that? All these bands were commercial, had soppy radio hits and had front men that women swooned over.

Sambora is probably the most technically talented musician out of any of similar bands of that era as well (aside from Van Halen)

I feel it's due to Jon Bon Jovi having a pretty clean record, which people claim means he isn't a true rocknrolla. Not known for the booze/drugs/rocknroll culture, married his high school sweetheart, has 4 kids to one women and is open to acknowledging Bon Jovi is a business, rather than a band (have heard him say this in a doco). Pretty sad that people sh$t on you for just keeping it together.

I feel it's due to Jon Bon Jovi having a pretty clean record, which people claim means he isn't a true rocknrolla. Not known for the booze/drugs/rocknroll culture, married his high school sweetheart, has 4 kids to one women and is open to acknowledging Bon Jovi is a business, rather than a band (have heard him say this in a doco). Pretty sad that people sh$t on you for just keeping it together.
I believe in The Dirt book, Nikki Sixx talks about how Bon Jovi went just as hard as they did, but he kept it hidden. Tells a story about them going to a brothel or something together.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I believe in The Dirt book, Nikki Sixx talks about how Bon Jovi went just as hard as they did, but he kept it hidden. Tells a story about them going to a brothel or something together.

I saw a Bon Jovi documentary on MTV years ago and he pretty much admitted he slept around.

And how many people from the 80's now do you bet regretted hanging around Motley Crue!

I saw a Bon Jovi documentary on MTV years ago and he pretty admitted he slept around.

And how many people from the 80's bet they regret hanging around Motley Crue now!
Sex, drugs, rock n roll. Just didn't brag about it as much as his contemporaries I guess.

Def Leppard and Bon Jovi weren't pure hair metal bands like Poison, Crue, etc.

Def Leppard were more bluesy AC/DC rock that Mutt Lang got in to and made very popular, they stayed image wise a band in jeans and shirts. Bon Jovi had the image but the sound was always more pop heavy Bruce Springsteen.

I think people can't hack Bon Jovi as much because they were still smashing in the radio till the mid 2000s like none of their contemporaries.

Yeah Def Leppard came out of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, a bit more poppy than some of them but they have hard rock/metal roots. A bit of hair metal and a bit cheesy at times but I"ve always liked them, and * they were good at Marvel.

Yeah Def Leppard came out of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, a bit more poppy than some of them but they have hard rock/metal roots. A bit of hair metal and a bit cheesy at times but I"ve always liked them, and * they were good at Marvel.
The vocal harmonies too are very Queen like, more than any other band.

That's Jon.

There's rumours he asked the drummer at one point to get plastic surgery lol.

Tico Torres about 10 years older than the rest of the band so that wouldn’t surprise

I was a teenager back in the late 80s and I never liked Bon Jovi or any of their songs that much despite them being huge at the time.

I liked Def Leppard and Aerosmith though who produced two killer power ballads that Bon Jovi couldn't get close to matching for quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are a funny band for me, I really like them but I could never listen to one of their albums start to finish.

It's like I listen to 3 of the songs in a row and that's enough because I'm about to overdose.

Love Gods of War, would probably listen to that before a fight if I was a fighter.

Bon Jovi's best ballad is buried in an album, and it's probably the best ballad a 'hair metal' band has ever put out.

Rich Sambora's finest four minutes

Not the biggest fan of Motley Crue but always thought this was a terrific ballad, also hidden away at the back end of an album

Not the biggest fan of Motley Crue but always thought this was a terrific ballad, also hidden away at the back end of an album

It's good, but could be mostly for the novelty value of its lyrics.

Dry County is almost November Rain tier of best ballads by an 80s rock/hair band.

Skid Row and Warrant have a couple good ballads too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back