Autopsy Garbage vs Hawthorn - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I thought CJ was more damaging than Mitchell. He carved us up.

I personally thought O'Meara was BOG for them as he was the one creating the run in there for them. (You know it's a sad ******* state of affairs when Jaeger O'Meara and "run" are used in the same sentence against you.)

We can talk about Bell, who was OK, but Taylor wasn’t any better really and many wanted him instead.

Reality is though, and I’ve said this for a while, but our quality of depth just isn’t that high.

Stephens and Blakey have been sent back to get their s**t together, but them aside the likes of Taylor, Gray, Bell, Clarke, Ronke potentially Ling and maybe even Gould aren’t that good. I’d even add Fox to that who I think is a little overrated in these parts. Players like McLean, Sinclair and Brand also have their limitations on ceiling or time left in the game.

We need our best 22 on the park to be competitive and I think it says a bit that we miss the likes of Campbell and Gulden who are immensely talented but first year players no less. (+Warner second year player).

(Note: not necessary saying this is why we lost, but it contributes by leaving too much to too few and if they had an off day the wheels fall off the cart).

Kudos to Amartey. I honestly think he didn’t have what it takes to make it but he seems to have found some hardness and competitive edge that he was missing in the past (in my view). Looking forward to seeing him become more comfortable at senior level.

I've been digesting the game further this morning and I just feel sick to the stomach with the state of the umpiring last night. I feel that as a club we should issue a please explain to the AFL. I'm just thankful that we played awfully last night and it had no bearing on the result. That said, any momentum we seemed to be getting was always halted by critical decisions. In reality all we can do is just move on and learn from it and have some faith thats the worst of the umpiring we'll receive this season?
Some concerns last night, we looked incredibly susceptible in the air last night. Our defence looks very shaky at best. We need more genuine defenders in there who are good at their craft (actually defending), they are all converts aside from Rampe. We need to bring in Brand or O'Riordan. Neither have done much wrong this year but don't seem to be in favour. They are note elite but they are solid.
Mids looked terribly slow. Getting The Chad back will be important.
At the end of the day we were incredibly flat, the hawks were up and about and deserved the win thoroughly. But I still can't thinking about those umpires - Razor is an absolute disgrace and there need to be some accountability.
We do need some big KPDs. Rampe will not be around long. Has to be a priority for us to contend soon.

I feel like we are going through some growing pains at the minute. There's no doubting we're a good side. We've won most games and we are a tough side to play four quarters against because we rarely go away.

But it's interesting that last year we were a poor side but I think we only had one genuinely bad game effort-wise (the Freo debacle where we kicked two goals.)

This year we are a good side, but I think we've already had three genuinely bad games effort-wise (Gold Coast, Freo and last night) and we're only halfway through.

We've always relied on hard work over ability, but it seems like the pendulum has swung the other way a bit and we're getting ourselves into situations in matches where we think our talent alone will get the job done. Make no mistake about it, we had the better players out there last night, but the harder working team won. Until our boys can figure that out and redeem it, these sorts of wake-up calls will happen from time to time, and they may end up costing us if we miss out on finals.

I feel like we are going through some growing pains at the minute. There's no doubting we're a good side. We've won most games and we are a tough side to play four quarters against because we rarely go away.

But it's interesting that last year we were a poor side but I think we only had one genuinely bad game effort-wise (the Freo debacle where we kicked two goals.)

This year we are a good side, but I think we've already had three genuinely bad games effort-wise (Gold Coast, Freo and last night) and we're only halfway through.

We've always relied on hard work over ability, but it seems like the pendulum has swung the other way a bit and we're getting ourselves into situations in matches where we think our talent alone will get the job done. Make no mistake about it, we had the better players out there last night, but the harder working team won. Until our boys can figure that out and redeem it, these sorts of wake-up calls will happen from time to time, and they may end up costing us if we miss out on finals.
Well said!! The jigsaw puzzle is not complete. But most of the pieces are there.
  • I think being young in the midfield especially contributes to these sorts of losses.
  • No big monster KPDs affected us last night as Koshitsme and co took many easy marks against our undersized backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can talk about Bell, who was OK, but Taylor wasn’t any better really and many wanted him instead.

Reality is though, and I’ve said this for a while, but our quality of depth just isn’t that high.

Stephens and Blakey have been sent back to get their sh*t together, but them aside the likes of Taylor, Gray, Bell, Clarke, Ronke potentially Ling and maybe even Gould aren’t that good. I’d even add Fox to that who I think is a little overrated in these parts. Players like McLean, Sinclair and Brand also have their limitations on ceiling or time left in the game.

We need our best 22 on the park to be competitive and I think it says a bit that we miss the likes of Campbell and Gulden who are immensely talented but first year players no less. (+Warner second year player).

(Note: not necessary saying this is why we lost, but it contributes by leaving too much to too few and if they had an off day the wheels fall off the cart).
The inclusion of gulden, Campbell, Blakey, Warner will transform us overnight. There is absolutely no doubt that we play a much different and better brand of footy with them in the side. They bring unique qualities that we don't otherwise have.

I feel like our dour performances the last few weeks is down to personnel more than effort. Look at the team list when carving the comp up in the first few rounds vs now. That's how influential the above blokes are at getting momentum moving our way. Without them we're just last year's team.

The inclusion of gulden, Campbell, Blakey, Warner will transform us overnight. There is absolutely no doubt that we play a much different and better brand of footy with them in the side.

I feel like our dour performances the last few weeks is down to personnel more than effort. Look at the team list when carving the comp up in the first few rounds vs now. That's how influential the above blokes are at getting momentum moving our way. Without them we're just last year's team.
Warner amd gulden yer but Blakey is a dud at senior level atm and a liability

Warner amd gulden yer but Blakey is a dud at senior level atm and a liability
The more I look back on it the more I appreciate Campbell's influence off half back too.

Blakey provides the gut run and agility in the middle. He actually busts a gut to get his number around the contest. We had 0 of it last night.

Last edited:
Well said!! The jigsaw puzzle is not complete. But most of the pieces are there.
  • I think being young in the midfield especially contributes to these sorts of losses.
  • No big monster KPDs affected us last night as Koshitsme and co took many easy marks against our undersized backs.

Were we young in the midfield though? JPK, Parker and Mills are all at 100+ games, the former two supposedly our A-grade mids, the latter supposedly on track to be one.

The midfields stacked up as follows:

JPK - 271 games, 32 years old vs Mitchell - 139 games, 28 years old

Parker - 225 games, 28 years old vs O'Meara - 113 games, 27 years old

Mills - 105 games, 24 years old vs Worpel - 60 games, 22 years old

Rowbottom - 37 games, 20 years old vs Newcombe - 1 game, 19 years old

We were older and more experienced in every match-up and you could argue only one of those, maybe two (if you rate Mills' absolutely haphazard butchery last night) were wins for us. Not good enough.

As coach in your mind you could remove them and live a happy retirement. But your side would get would get slaughtered like a house with no foundations.

Mills is easily our best mid at the moment. It was the old crew whose physical limitations again let us down. JPK can barely jog let alone chase.

The inclusion of gulden, Campbell, Blakey, Warner will transform us overnight. There is absolutely no doubt that we play a much different and better brand of footy with them in the side. They bring unique qualities that we don't otherwise have.

If you really think those guys would've made a difference last night then you are sorely mistaken.

So retire JPK and Parker and play Blakey, Stephens or Clarke instead. Problem solved.

Just do not ever play both together at CCs unless they are having blinders. One CC between them last night. Bell looked more dangerous FFS.

Keep JPK's tog closer to 50-60%. Halve Parker's time between mids and fwds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back