Preview Sydney v St Kilda (SCG) RD 13, 7:10pm Thursday 8 June 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope the no nonsense title meets bedford's approval.

Now let the nonsense begin.

Captain Edwin Carruthers was a large man, but it was not exertion but pride that made his heart beat fast on that chilly morning in early 1842. His first command completed as he stood on the bridge as his ship, the schooner Lady of St Kilda, entered Port Phillip Bay and moored on the foreshore.

He would have been even prouder (if he had not died in The Interim) when Charles La Trobe later named the suburb of St Kilda after the ship.

(In case people are wondering why I capitalised The Interim, that was actually a hotel in Portsmouth in the UK that was run by Marxists who took their revenge on the bourgeoisie in their own particular manner.
As The Portsmouth Evening Newspaper headline explained;
Communist cannibal cabal consumes corpulent Captain Carruthers)

But I digress.

The suburb of St Kilda quickly became a bayside retreat for Melbourne's elite.
Wonderful Italianate mansions were constructed, courting couples promenaded along the foreshore, the seawater baths became a source of relaxation and renewal, whilst high tea was a regular feature for the well to do.

Then in 1873 the St Kilda football club was formed.
Within a number of years the suburb was deserted by the wealthy and dens of iniquity were established as the mansions fell into disrepair. No lady of good breeding could stroll the streets without some rum soaked ne'er do well accosting her with the refrain 'Go the Sainters'.

So yes this is St Kilda's 150th year of existence. Poor buggers.

St Kilda was one of the inaugural members of the VFL competition in 1897.
The team lost 48 consecutive games and recorded the lowest ever score of 1 point in 1899.
Unfortunately no video was produced to record this amazing streak.

And so the years progressed, but St Kilda did not.
Over the years they have amassed a record of 27 wooden spoons. Something that their supporters seem curiously proud of.
In 1965 the club relocated to Moorabbin.
This ground is remembered for two things.
The Animal Enclosure. Which sadly was not a petting zoo for the littlies, but home for the most feral of their supporters. The area was renowned for being tightly packed and far removed from the ground's toilets. Finding cleaners to pick up the 'empty' beer cans was not an easy task.
The watering of the ground on the nights prior to games is renowned as a clever St Kilda tactic.
In fact it was discovered that due to the wonky electrics every time the club secretary turned on the lights in his office the sprinklers were activated.

And so we come to the highlight of St Kilda's history. 1966 and all that.
It is remembered for 3 things;
Mike Williamson's iconic call of "I tipped this Butch"
Cheer squad member Molly Meldrum fainting before the game and missing the victory
and of course the image of the St Kilda players celebrating in Collingwood jumpers as they collected St Kilda's one and only Premiership Cup

It should be mentioned in passing that the Saints did win the pre-season Wizard Cup in 2004.
Much has been speculated on the infamous picture and the general consensus is that they were just keeping a lid on it. The more interesting explanation is that their disappointment came after reading the Harry Potter books and discovering they didn't get to meet any wizards after winning the comp.

50be945a672503a3a3789ef9a1bf7950.jpg 052517c7ff843c35ed18a727a6776edd.jpg

And so skipping more years of disappointment we come to the Ross 'the Boss' Lyon's (RTB) initial coaching stint.
Some success (based on St Kilda's level of expectation) did ensue and you can still see forlorn individuals wandering the streets muttering 'the bounce, the bounce' forever recalling memories of Tattoo from 'Fantasy Island'. It is thought that is from where the club's irrational hatred of dwarfs emerged.

And so to now.
RTB infamously walked out on St Kilda to join Fremantle as his manager and St Kilda were negotiating a contract extension. Needless to say the outrage amongst Saints supporters was heartfelt.
RTB's explanation was that he had mortgaged his house and put all his money into a failed investment.
Exactly why he thought the 'Nick Dal Santo penis enlargement kit' would ever take off is beyond me.

RTB's prodigal son return to the club came after the sacking of Brett Ratten three months into a new 2 year contract.
Of course this throwing away of money paled into insignificance with the monies they owe after their failed move to a new training complex at Seaford, which was abandoned after the players apparently couldn't get a decent cappuccino.

Mixed emotions from the Saints supporters upon RTB's return.
But even those opposed to his homecoming were less vociferous after his first 4 games resulted in wins.
Of course a thrashing from the Crows and a loss to Hawthorn has meant not too many mulligans are being afforded RTB at this point of time.

It would be remiss of me not to highlight the three standout St Kilda players this season;

1 Mason Wood, yes Mason Wood, honestly yes that bloke. Don't worry no one else can understand it either.
2 Callum Wilkie. Seemingly on his way to an All Australian jumper. Which could be embarrassing on presentation night as no one at the function will have a clue who he is.
3 Jack Sinclair. Splendid player who is having a fine season, but he still suffers from great personal disappointment. Has the AFL's crappiest haircut and yet still no one refers to him as a cult hero.

And so dear reader if you have lasted this long some actual information.

The teams played each other twice in both 2021 and 2022 for 3 Swans wins.
Sydney has lost their last 3 at the SCG this season (by a combined total of 20 points) having won the previous nine.
St Kilda have lost their last 7 at the SCG, dating back to 2012.

After the bye the respective records are;
Sydney 2022 loss (v Port, Adelaide Oval,), 2021 loss (v Port, Adelaide Oval, yep same team, same venue, two years in a row after the bye), 2020 win (v GWS, Optus)
St Kilda 2022 loss (v Lions, Gabba), 2021 Win ( v Richmond, MCG), 2020 Win (v Hawthorn, Carrara)

Good luck making any assumptions from those histories.

Unfortunately for Sydney John Longmire mentioned in his post match press conference that only Rampe is likely to return for this game.
Given the Mac's concussion issues wishing all the best to the exciting Mitch Owens after the sickening collision of a week ago.

The big in recently for St Kilda is obviously Max King who has recorded two 4 goal hauls in his two games back.
His record against Sydney; (most recent first) 2022 (5 goals straight, 0 goals 1 behind), 2021 (2.2, 1.1), 2020 1 game only (3 straight,).
Tom McCartin has been his most regular opponent, although Rampe has also had a run against him.

For Sydney obviously if fit Rampe will come in.
I liked our structure down back this week and I'd be inclined to move Florent further afield and omit Clarke, given Wicks fine return.
Admittedly harsh on Clarke, but I think structurally he is the one we can afford to lose.
This obviously assumes we challenge (and win) the Parker ban. I wouldn't consider it a sling tackle and the question has to be asked what else could he reasonably be expected to do?

St Kilda have averaged more disposals per game than any team this season. Good team to bring the pressure against.
Much talk about our clearance problems, however St Kilda are actually bottom in that stat.

I think St Kilda is a team we match up well on.
We need to get Wilkie out of the play. He's been averaging over 9 intercepts per game. Hayward has done the fwd 'tagging' role before (eg v Haynes). Plus Will's tank and run could hopefully draw Wilkie out of his comfort zone, provided we hit up Hayward.

After the Carlton game I wrote;
Real effort, dare, support for teammates, messy at times, but good to watch and this is a team that still believes.
A continuation, but less 'messy' would be good.

I think we'll take this out.

PS I did try to watch the Saints/Hawks replay but * me Dermie's verbal diarrhoea was even worse than usual.

Tl;dr You've got nearly 2 weeks to read it.
I'm tipping Sydney to win.

Last edited:
Awesome preview hairy biker, though I would expect nothing less!

Completely agree with your three Saints to watch as well. They're the exact three Saints players I've watched this year and thought, "gee they'd be nice in our team." (Steele and King as well, though both are still returning from injury layoffs.)

Optimistically speaking I'd like to see:

IN - Rampe, Mills
OUT - McAndrew, Rowbottom

The logic there being Rampe replaces Francis in defence, but Francis - who has been quite serviceable lately - replaces McAndrew; McLean then supports Hickey as second ruck.

Guess there's still a strong chance neither Rampe or Mills is ready yet, even after the bye.

Terrific piece hairy biker . I particularly ‘savoured’ the tale of the unlucky corpulent Captain. Iirc there was an old Anarchist catch cry ‘Eat the Rich’.

I guess it is one way to deal with a consequence of world over population and that is the inevitable over supply of dead bodies. (planting them wastes space and putting them up the stack adds to pollution) Admittedly the solution would not be to my own or everybody’s taste.

Who captains us if Parker, Mills and Rampe are all out? Can’t remember who else in our leadership group.

From Longmire’s comments he is not expecting Tom McCartin back which is massively concerning for his footy future (and health).

Who captains us if Parker, Mills and Rampe are all out? Can’t remember who else in our leadership group.

From Longmire’s comments he is not expecting Tom McCartin back which is massively concerning for his footy future (and health).
Rampe is expected back, was borderline for the Carlton game

Not gonna happen this year or probably ever but I wanna see Florent play midfield/inside , even if it meant for rowbottom.

I still don’t think he is a defender and a little wasted back there
Has such great spatial awareness and agility in close that it makes it tempting to see what he could do as a midfielder long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we challenging the Parker "sling"
Would be insane not to. I don't claim to have watched all of them but of all the suspensions I have seen for a dangerous tackle I haven't seen any as tame as Parkers.

We usually contest in these situations so I'd be shocked if we accepted this rubbish.

Fine work hairy biker ! I’m currently sitting at Sydney Airport waiting for a (delayed) flight and reading your educational preview made the wait much more enjoyable.

I asked the airport shop attendants if they had any Nick Dal Santo products in stock, but alas no.

I also admire your imagination - inventing a player called ”Callum Wilkie”.

Well played.

Last edited:
Play Heeney on Crouch. Both Steele and Ross are playing bruise free footy. No crouch no saints midfield game over

Sinclair did get clamped last year I believe so Clarke should stay in

That was the other good change playing Clarke as a negating mid, but he's actually got a decent ability to find the ball in there. I bag the coach when it's there, but he was outstanding last week.

As for Heeney I'd put him on Steele personally but Crouch might be the one, Rowy onto Steele HTD

Clarke destroyed Sinclair the first time we played them last year, got off the chain a bit the second time around. Think we will only play one if he and Wicks when we get a few back.

We should be challenging Parker’s ban.

Rampe will be a definite in, hopeful Amartey and Mills are close for this one as well.

If we get some luck:
  • Amartey, Mills and Rampe IN
  • McAndrew, Clarke/Wicke and Melican/Francis OUT

That was the other good change playing Clarke as a negating mid, but he's actually got a decent ability to find the ball in there. I bag the coach when it's there, but he was outstanding last week.

As for Heeney I'd put him on Steele personally but Crouch might be the one, Rowy onto Steele HTD

It just feels terrible hoping Clarke does not get the pill.

guess he goes on to their mini Sinkers, like last time.

It just feels terrible hoping Clarke does not get the pill.

guess he goes on to their mini Sinkers, like last time.

Clarke is decent when he gets the ball plays to his limitations unlike a few who try way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back