Preview Sydney v St Kilda (SCG) RD 13, 7:10pm Thursday 8 June 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pies couldn't lose last year, then we beat them twice. We're not even halfway through the season, things will likely look different heading into finals. For one, I'd love to play Port in a Prelim if we made it that far.

Pies lost a fair few in the beginning last year, bat way deeper this year, and added Mitchell for a packet of used Twistys.

"“We’ve had a good week of training and the players are prepared for the Saints."
“I think for Lance it’s incredible. There’s only 21 odd players that have played 350 AFL games"
"“He’s one of the best key forwards that has played the game."
"“Nick is one of the key young players in our group. We’ve got a number of young players that we’re confident in to be able to keep this team competitive for a long period of time."
"
On Dane Rampe
“He’s a key player for us. We haven’t had a lot of players come back from injury for a little while so it’s good to get a key player back."
On Joel Amartey's return from injury
“He’s a chance"

Pies lost a fair few in the beginning last year, bat way deeper this year, and added Mitchell for a packet of used Twistys.
After 11 games last year you'd have had the Dees as clear favourites, maybe the Lions as the next challenger. Saints and Carlton were 8-3, sitting pretty.

After 11 games last year you'd have had the Dees as clear favourites, maybe the Lions as the next challenger. Saints and Carlton were 8-3, sitting pretty.

Remember this time last year there was a bunch of pundit morons seriously asking 'Will Melbourne lose a game this year?'

It's always a season of two halves and usually the premier (like last year) is the best team in the second half of the year. The last couple of wins have been good for team form and confidence we're starting to get some players back so we head into the back half in fairly good shape.

I'd forgotten Buddy's 300th was that farewell game also against Saints at SCG in 2019 when Jack and McVeigh played their last games and we won by 40 points.

No Mills and no Parker? If Heeney's not a FT mid how are we not gonna get pumped in the midfield tomorrow?

If we scrape into the 8 and have a fully healthy squad (rested) we are a chance of doing damage.
Remember the Pies haven't had injury worries like us/Geelong yet. They lose Moore, Maynard, Miochek and a couple of others and things change

It looks like Ramps straight back and Amartey a fitness test. The thing is Joel has been in full training for 2 weeks. So, that makes his return very possible.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tend to agree but really it looks like the Pies and then about 10 sides below them. We'd be close to the worst side if we came 6th or 7th to face first round away, as we'd have won a few games to get there BUT you aren't winning from 7th anyway
I think it is Pies and Port. They are both playing scintillating footy. Although if you were going to unravel either game style I think Pies could be unravelled easier than Port. Port win clearances.Thryfold back automatically and quickly if they lose the ball. They use a pattern that predicts where the ball is going when thry fold back and converge there cutting off the attack. The opposition is always under huge pressure.

You can get Pies out the back but Port are much harder.

Pies couldn't lose last year, then we beat them twice. We're not even halfway through the season, things will likely look different heading into finals. For one, I'd love to play Port in a Prelim if we made it that far.
I'd prefer to play them in a GF where our blokes are invested.
Pies in aPrelim can be shut down. If you take that game as any game we have a particularly bad record against Port. Those records are best buried in a GF as Hawthorn proved

Physically you are spent when you've got to 7th, now the bye before finals does help but I still feel that a side only has so many "petrol tickets" as I put it. How much would you have to put it to come say 7th, it's a lot. Look I hope I'm wrong I do, but I doubt any side is winning from 7th even with the bye to assist.
Dogs did it first bye year. I think the bye gives the teams lower in the Eight a distinct advantage. If the strongest teams win they have a break. They win again, they have another break before the GF. If the side who are opposing them has come from an elimination Final they are more likely to be match ready then a team who had two breaks.

Cats last year had a full hit out the week before the GF. A full Scratch Match. We did not.

Dogs did it first bye year. I think the bye gives the teams lower in the Eight a distinct advantage. If the strongest teams win they have a break. They win again, they have another break before the GF. If the side who are opposing them has come from an elimination Final they are more likely to be match ready then a team who had two breaks.

Cats last year had a full hit out the week before the GF. A full Scratch Match. We did not.

7 out of 8 not bad

No Mills and no Parker? If Heeney's not a FT mid how are we not gonna get pumped in the midfield tomorrow?
Fortunately St Kilda aren't great at scoring. Only 14th in the competition for points scored. If we can at least take advantage of our scoring opportunities when they come then we can make it a contest via good old fashioned scoreboard pressure.

Amartey reportedly back in this week. Hope it's a red herring from the club. Kid would be mad to rush back from a hammie given his contract status.
Should take two weeks past what the Dr is telling him IMO.

if he's declared fit, and he feels fit, he'll want to play ...
guaranteed if he's ok to go, he won't be thinking anything other than wanting to get on the field ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back