Preview Sydney v St Kilda (SCG) RD 13, 7:10pm Thursday 8 June 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've done this for as long as I remember, even when we had great midfields. I personally don't see how say Sheldrick despite decent reserves form, would outdo the alternatives already in the team.
We're not the only club to do it either. Plenty of players don't go straight into the middle in the first couple seasons. I don't see the problem in getting players to work for their position

Gus has been named in the guts on the swans teamsheet.
Yeah, I did like when we kept naming Lloyd at CHB and then Horse was like "damn, well, we said we'd do it, Jake, you're on Hawkins, Himmelberg, Mihocek, Jackson for the next month."

Blakey was a forward then a mid before he was a defender. Florent mid now defender half back. Clarke mid now defensive forward.

Sheldrick will play where there is an opportunity. This week that is possibly more in the mids but as others have said, don’t expect him to dominate CBAs and may spend some time forward still.

I have no problem with SOME time forward with the key word on some. Should be the majority in the middle he’s not a forward similarly Mills is a mid.

I have no problem with SOME time forward with the key word on some. Should be the majority in the middle he’s not a forward similarly Mills is a mid.
If our aim is player development, then we might give him majority mid time. If we want to win, and try to make finals, he plays a bit in the mids, mostly elsewhere.

His form has been decent at reserves level (in an uphill battle), but it's not stunning enough that you'd put him in there over other alternatives most of the time.

I'd go with a smaller fwd line, keep Francis down back, Fox frees up Florent for the mids, or use Clarke for Rowy's role, freeing him up.

Of course, Gus could spend more time in the mids if we just gave him the defensive role on someone. Frees up others.

Selections to me read that Francis will play Forward. We like playing with that three tall structure, and aside from King, they won’t stretch us.

Fwd: Franklin, Francis, McLean, Wicks, Clarke, Hayward, Papley
Back: Melican, Rampe, Fox, Blakey, Florent, Lloyd, Cunningham
Mid: Warner, Rowbottom, Gulden, Heeney, Campbell, McInerney, Sheldrick
Ruck: Hickey

Selections to me read that Francis will play Forward. We like playing with that three tall structure, and aside from King, they won’t stretch us.

Yeah, probably right about Francis. Saints probably need a big game from King though, so not sure Rampe coming back or Melican is the right move.

Has anyone considered that the reason we keep getting smashed in the midfield might have something to do with the fact that our midfielders are trained in other areas before being moved in when they're "ready"?
No

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My day was quite good, drove my house guests to the airport. :clapping:

All a bit weird really.
Came to my door last week said my sister had organised their stay.
Seemed a bit rude to point out I didn't have a sister.

As it happened they were okay, although I did have to tell them a few times to leave the bloody goats outside.
In Laos that would never have happened. They would have cooked the goats for dinner. Mind you your carpet might never be the same after the goat on a spit

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah. Horsewill shift Ron 'Slow Coach' Clarke to the mids

To be fair, Clarke is a good tagger, and his reserves performances are equal or better than what Sheldrick has produced, so I don't know why this would be a worse alternative.

I don't know if they would've gone Sheldrick just to play him forward, given how his performances as a forward have been so far.

I suspect our primary mids will be Warner, Gulden & Heeney, and Sheldrick will rotate through there offering some support with his grunt work. Could be a good way to both give him more midfield opportunities without giving him too much responsibility he's not yet ready for.
You forgot Rowie

Hey don't discount Owen. Before he got injured he was very good for them. Camaneti has also been very good. Don't underrate them as that could be a big mistake

Rampe will get him I think. He’s done it before. Melican on Caminiti, Fox on Owens
Rampe is no longer any good on 200cm forwards. No player his size is anymore since the umpires started giving frees for smaller backs interfering with taller forwards. The days of holding a taller player down are gone. You can hardly touch them and umpires have especially picked on Rampe, Jonas & Co. If you look at the frees against you will see when they play on the super talls they get penalised very often.

To be fair, Clarke is a good tagger, and his reserves performances are equal or better than what Sheldrick has produced, so I don't know why this would be a worse alternative.
I think this year Clarke has lost a metre or two in pace. He was always reasonably quick but on recent form this is not so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back