Preview Sydney v St Kilda (SCG) RD 13, 7:10pm Thursday 8 June 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIR DANE!

Hope Sheldrick goes well. I've always said he's the closest thing we have to a Parker in terms of the style of play. Not expecting Parker numbers from him but if he can apply himself the same way Parker does then he'll have done his job.

You have to wonder what this means for Stephens. Was our only player to get coaches votes in our last VFL game, fourth year player now who has supposedly been biding his time for a shot on the inside. Then it goes to a second-year player instead.

As for McAndrew, he can go back to the VFL with a bit more confidence in himself that he can make it in this thing.

SIR DANE!

Hope Sheldrick goes well. I've always said he's the closest thing we have to a Parker in terms of the style of play. Not expecting Parker numbers from him but if he can apply himself the same way Parker does then he'll have done his job.

You have to wonder what this means for Stephens. Was our only player to get coaches votes in our last VFL game, fourth year player now who has supposedly been biding his time for a shot on the inside. Then it goes to a second-year player instead.

As for McAndrew, he can go back to the VFL with a bit more confidence in himself that he can make it in this thing.
Probably role related given Parker is out, or Sheldrick's going to need to relieve others up forward (for them to move into the mids). E.g. Paps, Clarke.

Also, Stephens came back in pretty quick last time to no great effect. Might want a run of good games before bringing him back.

Probably role related given Parker is out, or Sheldrick's going to need to relieve others up forward (for them to move into the mids). E.g. Paps, Clarke.

Also, Stephens came back in pretty quick last time to no great effect. Might want a run of good games before bringing him back.
Very good points

Hallelujah Sheldrick plays as a mid
Wouldn't be so sure. I can see Rampe coming back, freeing up Fox (surely Francis is needed on King), which frees up Florent for the mids. Likewise Sheldrick can just go forward to allow Paps, Clarke to go into the mids.

Though there's only 2 KPFs for the Saints, so Francis might go forward.

Wouldn't be so sure. I can see Rampe coming back, freeing up Fox (surely Francis is needed on King), which frees up Florent for the mids. Likewise Sheldrick can just go forward to allow Paps, Clarke to go into the mids.
I don't know if they would've gone Sheldrick just to play him forward, given how his performances as a forward have been so far.

I suspect our primary mids will be Warner, Gulden & Heeney, and Sheldrick will rotate through there offering some support with his grunt work. Could be a good way to both give him more midfield opportunities without giving him too much responsibility he's not yet ready for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if they would've gone Sheldrick just to play him forward, given how his performances as a forward have been so far.

I suspect our primary mids will be Warner, Gulden & Heeney, and Sheldrick will rotate through there offering some support with his grunt work. Could be a good way to both give him more midfield opportunities without giving him too much responsibility he's not yet ready for.
He'll get some CBs sure. But I don't know if we'll break from our usual gradual introduction of players into the mids, and give him 30-40% or anything like that. Especially when Horse has Florent, Paps, Clarke at his disposal as well. Personally, I'm hoping for Clarke to get any defensive role, releasing Rowbottom, who should be refreshed from any possible issue by the bye.

He'll get some CBs sure. But I don't know if we'll break from our usual gradual introduction of players into the mids, and give him 30-40% or anything like that. Especially when Horse has Florent, Paps, Clarke at his disposal as well. Personally, I'm hoping for Clarke to get any defensive role, releasing Rowbottom, who should be refreshed from any possible issue by the bye.
What evidence is there that Horse would use Florent and/or Clarke in the mids though, other than the fact they used to play there a few years back?

Though there's only 2 KPFs for the Saints, so Francis might go forward.

Get stuffed if you play Sheldrick forward don’t play him. He’s a mid he isn’t a forward

Horse is too conservative to throw Gus straight into the middle. Sheldrick will likely play more minutes the but more likely you'll find him on the wing
Has anyone considered that the reason we keep getting smashed in the midfield might have something to do with the fact that our midfielders are trained in other areas before being moved in when they're "ready"?

Get stuffed if you play Sheldrick forward don’t play him. He’s a mid he isn’t a forward

Blakey was a forward then a mid before he was a defender. Florent mid now defender half back. Clarke mid now defensive forward.

Sheldrick will play where there is an opportunity. This week that is possibly more in the mids but as others have said, don’t expect him to dominate CBAs and may spend some time forward still.

Has anyone considered that the reason we keep getting smashed in the midfield might have something to do with the fact that our midfielders are trained in other areas before being moved in when they're "ready"?
We've done this for as long as I remember, even when we had great midfields. I personally don't see how say Sheldrick despite decent reserves form, would outdo the alternatives already in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back