Review Good/Bad vs West Coast - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Good
Schoenberg is in the cusp, big pre season and this guy could be our next great midfielder.

Murray/Burt's defensive team. Really putting runs on the board.

Bad
Our forward movement is just horrible, we go so slow that our forwards have already lead multiple times and we kick to the oppo defender.

Ugly
Our midfield unit. The only 3 pencilled in for me next year is Keays, Schoenberg and Laird. Seeing Sloane in nearly every bounce was horrendous.

Well, Pyke hardly played the players from the 2018/19 draft because he was still trying to get into the 8 with that playing group until the massive list turnover decision had to happen after the review indicated there was a very bad relationship between the players and coach group, hence a clean out was required and fresh started needed for both. Then COVID-19 happened which meant the players in the 2018 draft are 4, 2019 draft are 3 and 2020 draft are 2 years behind development so you can't say we got our picks wrong.

Why do you post such rubbish?

Surely with just a handful of games left in the season it's time to give games to some of the promising kids on our list who are yet to debut like Cook and Gollant.

Or even Newchurch. Why not, our small forwards suck.

Give them a taste so they know what to work towards over summer and give us a look at how they take to the level.

Refer to my posts last several weeks. Clinical definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Overmatched head ball coach and guys who don’t belong on an AFL field.

But yes, by all means let’s have another year of this

Brodie Smith played ok but nothing comes from his kicks anymore

He never kicks long and finds a player. Just long to packs.

"Lower your damn eyes" needs to be tattooed on the forehead of every one of our mids.

Probably better to tattoo it on the forwards’ heads so the mids see it as they’re running towards the 50.

Good
Shoenboerg
Keays
Butts
Seedsman (partly)
Murray until the splat
I thought McPherson was ok, a vast improvement on his last couple of AFL games
Jones (mostly, although if the ball is in the air and you don’t know where you’re opponent is, just bloody attack the ball)
Smith was alright
Fogarty when we could get it to him, still need to stick the pressure marks

Bad
Lynch and Sloane’s kicking
Us trying McAsey forward at SANFL and then Murray hurting himself
Rowe not hand balling to Fogarty so he could have a shot, only to then hand it to Seedsman under pressure
Mackay’s lack of poise, kicking skills and strength yet being played ahead of Sholl
Seedsman’s obvious desperation to be #1 in the comp for metres gained regardless of what is around him

Ugly
Spending a first rounder on McHenry. A player his size needs a weapon; beautiful kick, searing pace/agility/leap/goal sense. He doesn’t have one.

We must be #1 in the league for kicks smothered. Because we so rarely do it ourselves we must assume no opponent will try it either.

I thought Sloane deserved that Kelly spray. He just stood back and "corralled", letting Darling just do as he needed to score a goal at a very critical stage.

Does abusing team mates count as a pressure act?

We've got a few players who don't mind a good finger point - Lynch, Kelly, Brown and Rowe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been one of my favourites over the years but he's a shadow of the player he used to be.

Must be hard knowing you'll never play in another finals campaign again. Easy to slip into a 9-5 mentality.

I thought Sloane deserved that Kelly spray. He just stood back and "corralled", letting Darling just do as he needed to score a goal at a very critical stage.
Looked like they weren’t on the same page. Kelly was corralling Darling, then peeled off expecting Sloane to roll off his man and cover Darling. Maybe Sloane not executing to the plan. Maybe Kelly getting it wrong and wanting to blame someone else.

Personally I’m gonna blame the coach. There were a tonne of defensive breakdowns.

Looked like they weren’t on the same page. Kelly was corralling Darling, then peeled off expecting Sloane to roll off his man and cover Darling. Maybe Sloane not executing to the plan. Maybe Kelly getting it wrong and wanting to blame someone else.

Personally I’m gonna blame the coach. There were a tonne of defensive breakdowns.

Pretty creative to blame the coach who was not in the vicinity.

My take is that Ryan was between Kelly and Darling and was then going to run towards the goal: Kelly wanted to guard him and stop this, expecting Sloane to attack Darling. Not on the same page. If Kelly attacked Darling, then there would have been a handball over his head to Ryan for an easy goal.

Schoenberg is very promising for a 2nd year player.

Thought Sloane was clearly our best midfielder around the contest. Meanwhile Laird with much more of the ball, and no influence on the contest, as usual.

Fogarty had a great first half.

Not much else to report. Our trajectory continues.

54BF2F22-EC3A-408E-B3D2-943BE44EB6CB.png

76AAB146-A4CC-4AFD-8BC1-58E46A5D4155.jpeg

He looked puzzled. As if he had no idea he was supposed to defend
He's playing as though he doesn't give a * and likely doesn't. The rumour is that he's playing to trigger a lucrative games played clause in his contract. Must be a lot of money to risk the future use of his finger.

Last edited:
Did you see that at the game or on TV?
Just watching the replay now it wasn't obvious whether Walker was yelling at the umpire or the kicker.
He'd been collected high in a couple of "spoils" during the game and was down for a while with one. No frees. I thought it might have been that.
On TV.
The ball shanked oddly off Murphy's boot and went shallow straight to a WCE player, 20m short of Tex and slightly to his left.
But you make a good point and it could've been at an Ump, although there was no contest in dispute.
In a way I'm relieved if he was having a go at an Ump and not Murphy (but it looked to me like it was @ Murphy, at the time).

My bet at $6.50 on 40+ got up. That was good, I'd given up with a couple of minutes to go.
You backed the Eagles to win by 40+ at odds of $6.50??
Turncoat!! Traitor!! Oh, ye of little faith etc *rant, rave, spit*

(translation: good onya maaaate. I wish I'da had a slice of that pie! :D :thumbsu::thumbsu:)

On TV.
The ball shanked oddly off Murphy's boot and went shallow straight to a WCE player, 20m short of Tex and slightly to his left.
But you make a good point and it could've been at an Ump, although there was no contest in dispute.
In a way I'm relieved if he was having a go at an Ump and not Murphy (but it looked to me like it was @ Murphy, at the time).
I'm thinking of a different contest sorry

Missed the one you're referencing

He's playing as though he doesn't give a fu** and likely doesn't. The rumour is that he's playing to trigger a lucrative games played clause in his contract. Must be a lot of money to risk the future use of his finger.
It's not a rumour, it's just speculation people here made up cause they want to s**t on him.

I've been extremely critical of McPherson this year but thought he was OK tonight, showed some attacking poise hitting up Fogarty with nice kicks twice. Is there a chance we've been using him a role he's less suited to this year?
It would be very AFC to do that (eg Jones, Fogarty and several others).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back