Review Good/Bad vs West Coast - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t blame nicks for this list. He needs three drafts and a few years on top off that when we get a good chunk of players at 70-100 games. This is a complete rebuild and nicks has been the man chosen to lead it. Give him the time to do it.
Agree, he was selected as he is a players management coach to rebuild the players relationship with the coaches after the CM which he has been successfully doing with the re-signing of all the young players and some very good wins early in the season. Clearly the long AFL season is getting to the young playing group right now.

Shoeberg was great and was easily out best mid on the day even though he made a few mistakes, he is going to be a star.

Hamill was awful and cost us about 5 goals, he is devoid of confidence.
The small forwards we have are all crap and can’t crumb the ball at all. Unfortunately same with our defenders, we are miles away from challenging for the 8, at least 3 years if not more.

1 think that annoys me we know what we are going to get, we will all be out marked in attack and the ball will be brought out of our defence easily. It’s so hard to be exited to watch this team at the moment. I know it’s a rebuild but it’s going to be tough watching for a while

agree with the first two...

but I thought mcpherson was alright tonight..

In the same way I wouldn't give a shite if Himmelberg or Frampton had a decent game, they are still not the players we want in a best 22 nor is McPherson. Regularly bathed, shite distribution, albeit hit up Fogarty nicely tonight. It's not worth it when he burns the ball comjng out of D50 as often as he does.

It's baffling how quickly the negativity brigade come out to whinge the moment things aren't working.

Literally the moment this young, inexperienced side starts to fade late in the season, as young sides are prone to do, especially when injuries and fatigue kick in, its "Wah our drafting's sh*t", "Wah Nicks sucks", "Wah our list is terrible" from literally the same people who were pretty content earlier in the season when things were going okay.

It's almost like a rebuild takes time and depth is going to be an issue when the team is full of kids. And you can't just gut the side of every experienced player who isn't a superstar because playing kids before they're ready can destroy their confidence and hinder their development. There needs to actually be a viable backup option which we simply don't have in many positions right now.

I'm not going to claim everything the club is doing is perfect because it's not and SOME selection decisions have been suspect and some young players aren't coming on as quickly as you'd like but the way some are carrying on you'd think it's all doom and gloom when it isn't.

Our biggest issue remains the midfield, too one paced and not enough class. Desperately need 1-2 high end mids this offseason.

It's hard to sh*t on the defenders too much when they're having to defend 60+ I50s most weeks or the forwards when our own I50s tend to be garbage long bombs that land in the lap of the oppositions prime intercept defender. "Lower your damn eyes" needs to be tattooed on the forehead of every one of our mids.

Our forward 50 entries are deliberately like that. Roo even said as much pre-game and Nicks has been quoted lamenting shallow entries. They are coached to drop the ball onto deep contests rather than hit up targets. Instead of addressing the issues by not selecting players with poor foot skills, we're running a stupid strategy that won't progress us up the ladder.

Our delivery into our forward line was embarrassing
That's absolutely true, but I'm not just talking about whether he has kicked goals, which was tough for all our players, given our woefully skilled midfielders.

What is it exactly that Rowe offers?

The good small forwards tend to be dangerous one on one players, Rowe is certainly not this. In fact you would back his opponent 90% of the time in a one on one contest.

The good small forwards tend to be really quick, he is definitely not this.

The good small forwards apply good defensive pressure, whereas Rowe is woeful at this and his tackling is so weak that opposition simply brush him off like a fly.

The good small forwards can play taller and use their athleticism to mark high on a lead, Rowe doesnt do this.

The good small forwards kick goals, he certainly isn't doing this.

His greatest asset at the moment, appears to be his height. Because he's so short, if he ducks at the exact right moment, he's a high chance of a free kick.

We seriously need to move beyond Rowe and we deserve better.

Ugly: The smug Simpson laughing when his back dropped the sitter and gifted us a goal, when he knew full well that it meant nothing as we were a rubbish team.
Like Pyke laughing at Gold Coast

Why would we persist with the the 3 midget brigade is beyond me.

Are Murphy, McHendry, Rowe kicking massive amounts of gaols? No

Are they applying such devastating pressure that the other forwards are kicking goals? No

Are they assisting in all the goals? No.

I'm not saying they are all bad, or that they don't individually bring something (apart from Rowe) but this strategy does not work.

We need to replace one of them with a medium forward or something that isn't a midget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward 50 entries are deliberately like that. Roo even said as much pre-game and Nicks has been quoted lamenting shallow entries. They are coached to drop the ball onto deep contests rather than hit up targets. Instead of addressing the issues by not selecting players with poor foot skills, we're running a stupid strategy that won't progress us up the ladder.

The most appalling example of this was Sloane in the first deliberately ignoring an open target in goalscoring range. To top this off, he couldn't even reach the contest with the kick, dropping it straight into the arms of the WCE defender in front of the pack.
How about that: kicking it straight to the oppo in preference to your own open target.

Indeed, the only good entries we did early were miskicks, some of them straight to our man! Perhaps, there's a moral there?

Can we get a small forward with even a small amount of pace? Like, anyone at all?

Murphy - slow
McHenry - average
Rowe - glacial
Stengle - slow
Wright - slow
Knight - below average
Cameron - very quick (yes! Oh wait we traded him)
Betts - average but elite in literally everything else
Callinan - below average
Petrenko - above average but awful

I'm sure it goes on. Feels like Cameron is one of the only quick smalls we've ever had

Rowe is a genuine Footballer.

Debatable at what level.

SANFL he was always going to transition to midfield and potentially win Margaret Medals. You can see he has a good footy brain.

But he is too small and slow for AFL. Start of the year with no "grind fatigue" he was somewhat effective. Now he just can't keep up with the game.

I do wonder if after another AFL preseason he can build a tank and some speed. I would bet no.

I can see him being delisted once this contract running out and, like Mitch Grigg, going on to have a great SANFL career.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We were actually ok in terms of making life difficult for the Eagles. We just lack quality ball users and decision makers. Our clearance wins are just total junk compared to our opponents. Until This improves, we're going nowhere. Problem is that individually, each cog is ok. Sloane obviously injured, but otherwise ok. All good ball winners, but cant break lines and average by foot. Matt will return and make 4 of the same.

Schoenberg - big plus.

Keays good
Smithers
Lynch
Jones

Bad
McKay
McPherson
Rowe
Tex

Ugly
Our intensity
Our forward line delivery
What? McPherson had one of his best games! Tex took seven marks, kicked 1.1 from shitty delivery and handed a few off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back