Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Not long before Schoenberg becomes no. 2 midfielder.
His kicking to space is exceptional.

Getting the ball into the hands of our best users has to be a priority in the off season.

McHenry passing to key forwards
Jones out of defence
Shoenberg out the middle
Fogarty and TT kicking at goal.

Not long before Schoenberg becomes no. 2 midfielder.
His kicking to space is exceptional.

Getting the ball into the hands of our best users has to be a priority in the off season.

McHenry passing to key forwards
Jones out of defence
Shoenberg out the middle
Fogarty and TT kicking at goal.
Schoenberg is already our number 2 mid imo. Doesn't rack up some of the numbers of Keays but his usage is much better. Once he starts to average 30 disposals a game he will be one of the best mids in the game and should be a similar player to Zac Merrett.

Good:
Himmelberg was very good - competed hard all night, and is 10x the forward Frampton will ever be

Fog was also very good - the second efforts, contested marking and the pressure were the real highlights there. Hopefully never plays another SANFL game in his life.

McPherson was probably the biggest surprise packet of the night for me - where has THIS McPherson been hiding? This was the sort of footy that I was expecting him to play after his genuinely good 2020, but he had been absolutely horrendous in all but 2 games this year. Let’s hope whatever was holding him back is behind him - he was excellent.

Chayce was very solid - some good signs there for sure.

Halfway through the 2nd quarter I was ready to drop McHenry. Thought he played bloody well after that, and did enough to hold his spot. Needs a 4 quarter performance still, but credit where it’s due for his last 2.5 quarters.

Laird was epic - comfortably his best game of the season for mine. I don’t think we’ll ever see him kick multiple goals in a game again, but it would be nice if he could slot one every now and then moving forward as this, along with the loopy rushed panic kicks, is the missing link in his game.

Keays was very solid, as usual.

Schoenberg continues to emerge as clearly our best young midfielder. Genuine chance for a rising star nom this week.

Walker looked like kicking a goal every time he touched it inside 50. Still an outside chance to kick 60 goals (probably finishes with 55ish), which absolutely nobody predicted prior to Round 1. Also a virtual lock for the AA team.

Doedee’s courage and intercept marking was also a major highlight.

Not much bad really, other than watching Sloane soak up more midfield minutes at the expense of Berry, who we are now giving the Gallucci / Poholke treatment.

Oh, and Sholl just looks like he’s running in tar and couldn’t stick a tackle on a 12 year old lately.

Would also be nice if umpires paid blatant marks.

Oh, and we are now about a 1% chance of getting Horne, so that’s kinda bad I guess. Lots of positive signs in this game though, so I’m not feeling as terrible about that as I would be if we played like s**t and stumbled over the line 6 goals to 5 or something.

It will be a HUGE draft for us nonetheless. Really need to nail out first 3 picks, because if we do, there’s a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.

Schoenberg is already our number 2 mid imo. Doesn't rack up some of the numbers of Keays but his usage is much better. Once he starts to average 30 disposals a game he will be one of the best mids in the game and should be a similar player to Zac Merrett.

Once he starts to average 30 disposals…

Who knew it was so easy? Why stop there

Never have I been so conflicted about winning.

Good for the young kids after a week like they've had.
Good that most of those kids played a sizable role.
Good that we beat Hawthorn.
Good that this will probably be our last win for the year.

Bad that we beat Hawthorn when we shouldn't have.
Bad, Collingwood probably won't win another game, ditto Suns so we'll probably stuff it up somehow.

Ugly, as always.... Derwayne.

Good
Harry Schoenberg growing as a midfielder

Jones, some of his body on body l work was excellent

Hamill getting better and better, his defensive running is first class

McPherson, having a good 2-3 weeks

Ned, very under rated by some on this board but he goes hard

Doedee, please make Capt next year

ROB getting back to his contested marking best

Laird, Keays, Fog and Tex all very good as well

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This win made me remember that old swashbuckling sailing ship movie starring Gregory Peck - Captain Hornblower

Always good to beat that scum the Hawks, good that so many young players took a step (hopefully permanently) tonight, felt good to watch a win again, even against the wooden spooners.

Goodbye Horne, you can always leave the Hawks after two years. Now to study players in the 5-7 bracket

I'm not knocking Hamish if he takes Zac Becker this draft with anything other than our 1st pick, he's going to be very, very good. Think he has the game to be much more than a 190cm intercepting defender too.

If you've got the SANFL pass go look at his last Sturt reserves game against Glenelg in Round 14.
I actually really like Wilmot too

The Good:
Fogarty - looked good all night, competed much better. Wonder if Marvel is better suited to his game? Regardless best he's looked in ages.
Schoenberg - I've been a huge fan since day 1, still screws bits and pieces up but he has absolute star qualities. The kids ability to get the ball on boot out of high pressure and congestion is first class.
Jones - Quietly going about becoming a solid and reliable player. The change down back worked wonders for Milera and it's doing the same for Jones now.
Laird - Beast of a match, won't see many players deliver better than that.
McHenry - Lot of people on this forum were writing him off far too quick. Looks every bit an AFL player, his decision making and hitting up guys who nailed goals is what we want out of him. Not to mention some of his pressure acts.
Hamill & McPherson getting through form slumps - I was uber critical of both earlier this year, McPherson was outstanding last night, Hamill seems to be getting better too.
Game Style - Good to see us back taking the game on.

The Bad:
Sholl - form has gone off a cliff since early few matches, last night single handedly kept Hawks in it first quarter. His lack of defensive effort is annoying, more so when he's not doing any damage offensively. Hopefully a form slump like Hamill & McPherson seem to be getting through.
Umpiring while wasn't horribly bias the shockers all went one way and added a couple goals to Hawks. Probably win by 5 goals without that, probably win by 7 goals without Sholls clangers. Hawthorn just had nothing up forward.

Overall a nice win, Hawks aren't that good so it's not a big scalp but good for the group regardless rather than losing every game til end of season. Probably rules out the spoon which is good & bad, regardless we'll still have a nice high draft pick so I'd always prefer the guys play to win than us intentionally tank.

Better than Zac Merrett imo, has way more xfactor about his game. Not taking anything away from Zac, he's pretty good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an absolute waste playing Frampton up forward ahead of Himmelberg was

It's taken 18 matches to find out something we knew last year

Now if we want to play catch up with Himmelberg and get him some games it will be at Thilthorpe's expense

Better than Zac Merrett imo, has way more xfactor about his game. Not taking anything away from Zac, he's pretty good player.

Merrett isn't just a "pretty good" player, he is a jet

That's a HUGE call to say that Harry has way more x-factor. I mean, i don't hope you're wrong..... but it's a big call and i feel you're underselling Merrett a bit

Merrett isn't just a "pretty good" player, he is a jet

That's a HUGE call to say that Harry has way more x-factor. I mean, I don't hope you're wrong..... but it's a big call and i feel you're underselling Merrett a bit
Might be, I think it's Merrett is pretty good but I've never personally seen him tear a game apart. I don't watch every Essendon game & they've been pretty s**t for a lot of time too so things like that can also contribute. I'm not trying to undersell him, it's just my take which might be based on far less watching than yours.

Oh, and Schoenberg --- what a talent, the sky's the limit --- his vision efforts and positioning to get and deliver the ball so well is elite for a kid of his experience.
Plus he’s playing on the best opposition now, it’s helping his development. He not tagging but going one on one with them. He will be very good in 2 years when he hits his prime

Every time I see Harry play, it just strikes me how much time and space he has. His natural instinct is to take an extra moment to make the right decision. Just the micro-pauses you notice in his game, it's beautiful to watch (particularly in a team of mids who otherwise just throw the ball on their boot when under pressure).

Once his skills and polish evolve that bit further with age and experience, he's going to be a weapon for us.

Every time I see Harry play, it just strikes me how much time and space he has. His natural instinct is to take an extra moment to make the right decision. Just the micro-pauses you notice in his game, it's beautiful to watch (particularly in a team of mids who otherwise just throw the ball on their boot when under pressure).

Once his skills and polish evolve that bit further with age and experience, he's going to be a weapon for us.
Interesting you say that about having other time because he's also shown a freak ability to get the ball to boot in extreme congestion that you typically only see out of guys who have been playing a bit longer.

Fog was also very good - the second efforts, contested marking and the pressure were the real highlights there. Hopefully never plays another SANFL game in his life.

McPherson was probably the biggest surprise packet of the night for me - where has THIS McPherson been hiding? This was the sort of footy that I was expecting him to play after his genuinely good 2020, but he had been absolutely horrendous in all but 2 games this year. Let’s hope whatever was holding him back is behind him - he was excellent

Schoenberg continues to emerge as clearly our best young midfielder. Genuine chance for a rising star nom this week.
This is exactly why it is important to get the young ones to 50+ games. They will fluctuate while building confidence, stamina, experience. Understanding gameplans, etc.
If they show potential they need to stay in.

Never relised Horne was a guaranteed 15 year player with multiple brownlow medals. Seriously, some posters need to piss off to the Carlton board if they love tanking so much.
^this

plus

I like how nicks is trying different game styles!

I hope he is just putting all the gears together so that we can have multiple strategies come game time.
However the foundation should always be the fast moving quick forward handball and run then hit a target by lowering eyes in the 50.
With fog and walker this plays to their strengths.
We will kick more goals and help us win more games with more set shots from them.

yes it’s hawthorn but I would love to see a similar strategy employed against a bulldogs for example which is their forte.

Yup, a good, and likely a needed, win for the club.

Good:

If Fogarty has those kind of games more often, I'll need to revise my "not making it" call. There was a genuine hunger and intensity to his game, he got involved, and he made things happen.
Schoenberg kept on building with another 24 disposal game.
Hamill, Jones and McPherson were all rock solid.
Laird had a monster day
Tex played well for 4
Himmelberg was good all day.
I liked McHenrys game. Set a fair few scores up, on top of the usual McHenry stuff.
Doedee and Frampton had good control of the air in defense.
Seeds, Keays, ROB, and Lynch all had solid days out.

Bad/Ugly.

Nah, not today. As said, it was likely a needed win for this rebuild.

Yup, however, lets not kid ourselves. We're also very average.
Laird easily AA this year

Himmelberg showing his footy smarts today ....still has another gear to go too
Hamill probably his best game for the year ....but it's McPherson that's had an ordinary year and looked decidedly sluggish, that deserves most praise .....was running on top of the ground today and looked really good ...lets hope that form continues

Once again ROB was taken to the cleaners by a 4 game rookie Reeves, who's a great tap ruckman .....2nd half though ROB compensated by taking some telling big marks ....this is what he must do to compensate for his S**t rucking

Jones just going ahead in leaps and bounds .....amazing what confidence can do for a player, same with Ned, who now believes he's an AFL footballer

Frampton encouraging ....not hard when you compare how bad he was as a FWD

Bickley post game. "The next few weeks might be a real chance to rest some of the kids against the better sides to freshen them up for the last couple".

Explain that logic.
And to think Bickley actually considered himself a potential AFL Coach 🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back