2nds 2021 Peel Thunder (Freo Reserves) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know. Should have said "another" AFL opportunity. Although he didn't really get an opportunity at Geelong. I could be wrong but think they played him exclusively as a key defender at VFL level. Think he looks more natural as a forward.
He kicked 8 goals in 13 games for Geelong VFL team. I didn’t see a single game but the bio said he played forward and back.

Same thing has happened at South’s. Started as KPB and played in the state game as KPD. But in the last 4 games has played forward.

6PR interviewed someone from South’s a couple of weeks ago whilst I was driving home. Can’t remember who but they said he hadn’t played forward for South’s but since playing forward was making progress every week.

He is a good size at 199cm. The type of player Freo are crying out for.

Also on the subject of potential players - Jarrod Brander at WCE. We’ve had a horrible trade record with them but he is wasted at West Coast. Played well today for their reserves team and seems to have stagnated in his development. Not sure why he was dropped though. Is he worth having a crack at?

He kicked 8 goals in 13 games for Geelong VFL team. I didn’t see a single game but the bio said he played forward and back.

Same thing has happened at South’s. Started as KPB and played in the state game as KPD. But in the last 4 games has played forward.

6PR interviewed someone from South’s a couple of weeks ago whilst I was driving home. Can’t remember who but they said he hadn’t played forward for South’s but since playing forward was making progress every week.

He is a good size at 199cm. The type of player Freo are crying out for.

Also on the subject of potential players - Jarrod Brander at WCE. We’ve had a horrible trade record with them but he is wasted at West Coast. Played well today for their reserves team and seems to have stagnated in his development. Not sure why he was dropped though. Is he worth having a crack at?

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ake-schlensog-looms-elite-key-position-player

Schlensog Will no doubt be drafted in the teens after we’ve taken our quota of Vic HBF’s but before the pick we might have used on him in the second round.
Will then win the Coleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schlensog Will no doubt be drafted in the teens after we’ve taken our quota of Vic HBF’s but before the pick we might have used on him in the second round.
Will then win the Coleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who cares as long as we do our part and nab 2 KPFs

Presumably we could have taken him in the mid season draft. Now we need to spend a reasonable draft pick on him or watch him become an afl quality kpp at another club. We have no idea.
None of that has happened yet and tbf, no other club noticed the apparently clear AFL standard in him in the midseason draft. So what you are actually complaining about is us not being clearly better than everyone else.

None of that has happened yet and tbf, no other club noticed the apparently clear AFL standard in him in the midseason draft. So what you are actually complaining about is us not be clearly better than everyone else.
You may well be right. However he is a young kpp in West Australia with a modern kpp build who has at least some claims to be at a suitable level, and we could really do with more kpp’s on the list. It seems like a free hit.

None of that has happened yet and tbf, no other club noticed the apparently clear AFL standard in him in the midseason draft. So what you are actually complaining about is us not being clearly better than everyone else.
Plenty of conversation around taking Callow and then Schlensog in MSD on the Freo board.

not arguing just was obvious to anyone who watched him on Saturday arvo ch 7
doesn’t mean he’ll be able to make it, as he does seem to stay off the contest when ball is in contest.

You may well be right. However he is a young kpp in West Australia with a modern kpp build who has at least some claims to be at a suitable level, and we could really do with more kpp’s on the list. It seems like a free hit.
And he may be the guy, but if he was so obviously worth a hit you'd think there was at least 1/18 taking that chance. He may not get drafted this year either.

I don't mind having a crack at our list management (I love berating our trading as much as anyone) but at least let the guy get drafted and play well at AFL level before tearing shreds off us for not doing it.
Plenty of conversation around taking Callow and then Schlensog in MSD on the Freo board.
We talk a lot of **** on here and frankly, it's all irrelevant to what actually happens.

And he may be the guy, but if he was so obviously worth a hit you'd think there was at least 1/18 taking that chance. He may not get drafted this year either.

I don't mind having a crack at our list management (I love berating our trading as much as anyone) but at least let the guy get drafted and play well at AFL level before tearing shreds off us for not doing it.

We talk a lot of **** on here and frankly, it's all irrelevant to what actually happens.
That’s right makes you wonder….hopefully the club has something big in the offing

not arguing just was obvious to anyone who watched him on Saturday arvo ch 7
doesn’t mean he’ll be able to make it, as he does seem to stay off the contest when ball is in contest.

Just to clarify, we are talking about Jackson Callow, the forward that got drafted by Hawthorn but despite them being not very good (arguably worse than us) hasn't played a game yet? Still not sure what the obsession is with him?

I suspect that if we want Schlensog, we can probably have him with a rookie pick. I would warn though; most of his goals for the season have come in two games, one of which which was yesterday's against a very depleted Peel Thunder team with basically no key position defenders to match up on him (or Mason Shaw or Jimmy Miller who would have taken first dibs), in an inexperienced midfield (not to mention a ruckman who is not even eligible to be drafted yet) that was always going to be caned but a vastly more experienced and superior midfield. I would want to see more than just that before suggesting we take him with a rookie pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to clarify, we are talking about Jackson Callow, the forward that got drafted by Hawthorn but despite them being not very good (arguably worse than us) hasn't played a game yet? Still not sure what the obsession is with him?

I suspect that if we want Schlensog, we can probably have him with a rookie pick. I would warn though; most of his goals for the season have come in two games, one of which which was yesterday's against a very depleted Peel Thunder team with basically no key position defenders to match up on him (or Mason Shaw or Jimmy Miller who would have taken first dibs), in an inexperienced midfield (not to mention a ruckman who is not even eligible to be drafted yet) that was always going to be caned but a vastly more experienced and superior midfield. I would want to see more than just that before suggesting we take him with a rookie pick.
It’s hard to tell if Schlensog will make it, only one way to find out.

Callow looks to be a quality 3rd tall forward who can play back.
Chris Doerre + others have commented how at Box Hill the players prefer to pass to Emerson Jena

It really is frustrating that we didn’t take a free swing with a player like Shlensog in the MSD. I know they make no difference into our ladder position & general fortunes of the club, but it’s just an opportunity for both the player & the club to see what can be achieved with full time training.
The sad thing is, I think this was a financial decision by the club.

Schlenslog appeals to me because he can play multiple positions and is athletic. Probably a late or rookie selection tbh. We should be taking forwards earlier in the draft. I seriously don’t mind Schlenslog as a last resort key defender or depth forward/ruck though. He’d probably end up playing 5-15 games a season depending on how many injuries we get.

I like the poster above would not get too excited by him kicking five goals in 120 point win against a Peel side with one AFL listed player.

It really is frustrating that we didn’t take a free swing with a player like Shlensog in the MSD. I know they make no difference into our ladder position & general fortunes of the club, but it’s just an opportunity for both the player & the club to see what can be achieved with full time training.
The sad thing is, I think this was a financial decision by the club.

Tbh I back the club if they didn’t think anyone was good enough to add to our list. Even if they were ultimately wrong there is no way of us telling whether the top name on their list at our selection wouldn’t have been another O’Reilly.

The two names at the top of my list were Schlenslog and Martin from Subiaco. I didn’t think we’d select a non-WA player for half a season tbh so didn’t really consider him.

Martin isn’t getting much hype but he’s a 20 year old 190cm forward getting around 15-20 disposals and two goals most weeks at WAFL level.

Looking at it now is that Treacy and Schultz look the only two rookies we have worth keeping on the rookie. Hughes as well but he’ll be on the senior list. So that’s four rookie spots that need to be filled - I’m sure we could’ve found room for one or even two MSD selections. We’ll end up filling the spots with 2-3 delistees - just you wait.

If money was the reason then I’m disappointed. If it was we didn’t rate anyone it could be wrong but I understand the process.

The bloke is a key defender that has played 3 games as a forward and kicked 10 goals. That is a damn good return- especially when he is playing in a forward line with 3 talls. Basing your opinion off Peel yesterday is a bit harsh.

The bloke is a key defender that has played 3 games as a forward and kicked 10 goals. That is a damn good return- especially when he is playing in a forward line with 3 talls. Basing your opinion off Peel yesterday is a bit harsh.
People like to make statement based on stats without even having watched him. Been very very good playing forward. Same people probably write off Motlop because he didn't kick a goal yesterday :)

People like to make statement based on stats without even having watched him. Been very very good playing forward. Same people probably write off Motlop because he didn't kick a goal yesterday :)

Yep. It has been happening a lot on this board lately- especially in the list management thread. It is getting ******* annoying.

Do you think there’s any chance Motlop lasts to pick 40?

I’ll just clarify I had previously noted his previous games but I stand by my comment that five goals in a 120 point win doesn’t make him any more or less impressive as a prospect. People getting excited because he kicked five goals shouldn’t be - if you’re basing your comments on other games as well fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back