News Clarko gone - Hawthorn coach exit brought forward to end of 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely if Clarko coaches next year he still keeps his entire payout from Hawthorn + whatever the new club pays him.

Why would Hawthorn get any discount to their softcap, given they have spent the money to pay him out?
Well its going to depend on what his severance contract says.

If it says that "should he coach elsewhere and earn equivalent to or more then what Hawthorn are paying him, no payment will be made", my guess is that Hawthorn wouldn't have to pay him.

Surely he takes a year off, given he's already been paid by Hawthorn. And then gets a blank check to coach GC.

There's no financial incentive for him to coach anywhere in 2022.
If Hawks are paying him $900K next year but someone offers him $1.2mill, that would be $300k financial incentive to coach

It was the arrangement. But as I said, my guess is Mitchell wanted to have a lot more say a lot sooner so that they ended up more like co-coaches. I certainly wouldnt want to work under those conditions.

As for why wouldnt he just go? He made promises to members, the club and most importantly the players. He doesnt seem like the type to quit and walk away.

Though given the agreement lasted all of 1 week you have to wonder just how hard Clarko and Mitchell tried.

Check out our board. There are plenty of regular posters who have already jumped on board the "Blame Clarko, Back Mitchell" train. Its pathetic.

Clarko was contracted and the club sought to undermine him and effectively wanted him to play caretaker for Mitchell who has 2 years assistant coach experience, and one year running Box Hill. Against a guy with 4 flags over 17 years who clearly still knows how to get him players to play above their ability (unless people believe we have a better list than Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, and a midfield equal to Melbourne).

Kennett has botched this massively. Mitchell should have been told to stay at Box Hill for 2022, or he was free to take Collingwood and we could then replace Clarko or extend him for 2023.
interesting that you mention Collingwood as they are the ones who instigated this whole scenario by theyre token interest in Mitchell
earlier this year
Collingwood were, and are never going to appoint a rookie coach again for some time,Kennett took the bait the old fool and this is pretty much the outcome
of that sucker punch we are witnessing

interesting that you mention Collingwood as they are the ones who instigated this whole scenario by theyre token interest in Mitchell
earlier this year
Collingwood were, and are never going to appoint a rookie coach again for some time,Kennett took the bait the old fool and this is pretty much the outcome
of that sucker punch we are witnessing

Kennett really did get spooked. Mitchell may end up being a better coach than Clarko but at the moment we simply dont know. And to pay out Clarko around $1m and taking that hit on the soft cap potentially costing us 1 or 2 assistant coaches, or costing us double if we exceed the soft cap and pay the penalty... its crazy.

If we were lining up to get the 2nd or 3rd best coach in the comp I could understand. But Mitchell may be the 18th best coach. We simply dont know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There may not be any jobs going in 12 months' time. Collingwood will have filled their vacancy, it's highly possible Carlton will as well. Caoching jobs don't come around every day.
Most teams would move their coach on for Clarko

There are coaching jobs at the end of pretty much every year.
It only seems that way because there's speculation every year. There were two appointments in 2020 (one due to health reasons) and two in 2019, but none in 2018, one in 2017, one in 2016, none in 2015 etc. An average of one job a year at best.

Most teams would move their coach on for Clarko
Doubtful; AFL isn't as cut-throat as some international sports, you rarely see a first or second-year coach punted to make way for an experienced coach, most clubs with a settled club on the up or in finals contention are unlikely to rock the boat. Only examples I can think of this decade was Malthouse at Carlton and Lyon at Freo, one a disaster and one a success, albeit without a premiership. I suppose if Clarko is a gambling man, he might like at GC, GWS or even the Eagles as possibilities in 2023, but if GC pull the trigger this year, that would be another job off the market.

It only seems that way because there's speculation every year. There were two appointments in 2020 (one due to health reasons) and two in 2019, but none in 2018, one in 2017, one in 2016, none in 2015 etc. An average of one job a year at best.
And you think this shows that there aren't vacancies most years? That's a novel take on things.

I think there's another 6-7 coaches who'll be out of contract next year, including Stewart Dew. You reckon he'll get a new deal?

And you think this shows that there aren't vacancies most years? That's a novel take on things.

I think there's another 6-7 coaches who'll be out of contract next year, including Stewart Dew. You reckon he'll get a new deal?
An average of one vacancy with multiple candidates and all clubs having different needs (some may prefer a young coach, others experienced). Not saying he won't be at the front of the pack when a vacancy comes up, but if there's only one, it leaves him with limited options. Right now, Collingwood and potentially Carlton are available, meaning he wouldn't have to uproot his family and move from Melbourne. Looking ahead, any of GC, GWS and WC could be available next year but require an interstate move. You could take most of the top 8 teams off the table, plus teams that have very new coaches, such as Longmuir, Rutten etc.

The more I look at the coaching situations, the more it looks like he called it quits early so he can get the job of his choice.

An average of one vacancy with multiple candidates and all clubs having different needs (some may prefer a young coach, others experienced). Not saying he won't be at the front of the pack when a vacancy comes up, but if there's only one, it leaves him with limited options. Right now, Collingwood and potentially Carlton are available, meaning he wouldn't have to uproot his family and move from Melbourne. Looking ahead, any of GC, GWS and WC could be available next year but require an interstate move. You could take most of the top 8 teams off the table, plus teams that have very new coaches, such as Longmuir, Rutten etc.

The more I look at the coaching situations, the more it looks like he called it quits early so he can get the job of his choice.
So there are vacancies most years and the most successful coach of the modern era will take a year off but you reckon he might struggle to get another attractive offer?

Tell me more.

AFL coaches move states all the time. Not sure that becomes a dealbreaker.

Also not sure WC will have a vacancy given Simpson is signed until 2024?

Ultimately, it hasn't been outwardly smooth, but Hawthorn will go into next year with a highly rated young coach, he gets to take the reins prior to trade season, preseason etc. and Clarkson can weigh up his options.
Might end up working out OK and it's resolved now. As long as there's no issues amongst the players, it could be fine.

Our off-season last year seems to have been worse in terms of lasting impact with the president out the door but still chiming on on everything, the loss of players, the poor trade negotiations and the risk (possibly averted now) of giving up pick 1 in this year's draft etc., as well as the reprehensible stooge tactics in not releasing the member info to try to head off an EGM.

There may not be any jobs going in 12 months' time. Collingwood will have filled their vacancy, it's highly possible Carlton will as well. Caoching jobs don't come around every day.

Any coach out of contract end of 2022 or 2023 would be reviewed.

Clarko is in the driver seat. But really the AFL should offer him a job for 2022.

Ultimately, it hasn't been outwardly smooth, but Hawthorn will go into next year with a highly rated young coach, he gets to take the reins prior to trade season, preseason etc. and Clarkson can weigh up his options.
Might end up working out OK and it's resolved now. As long as there's no issues amongst the players, it could be fine.
Well, Hawthorn are still paying him not to coach. Not sure that's a great outcome.

So was this Clarkson's plan all along? Or did he genuinely plan to stay only to change his mind?

I initially thought the latter, now I'm not so sure.
You’re not the first person to think this. Caro now also saying that the succession plan was something Clarkson wasn’t interested in hanging around for after getting confirmation on the non-renewal, but there was only one way to get out of it.

FWIW, we had posters with info on our board posting as early as April/May that Clarkson would not be getting another contract. Shortly after the succession plan announcement another poster who’s dropped the occasional nugget stated that the severance was being negotiated.

What is true and what isn’t from the day of the succession plan announced to now is up for debate, but I feel like Garry and Tim have pieced it all together this morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back