Toast 150 Years of Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Urban myth

If anything it comes from way way back by opposition supporters who hated us because we were so successful all the time. Along with Collingwood, both clubs dominated the competition from the creation of the VFA then into the breakaway VFL right through the early 1900s ..1920s and 30s.

A google search comes up with this obvious anti-Essendon piece saying it mentions it. I can’t be bothered reading through all of it

There is no evidence online of the club ever have been called The Blood Stained Blacks. There is evidence of the nickname The Blood Stained fellows, for example here. For obvious reasons, this nickname isn't in use any more, so shouldn't be listed in the infobox as a nickname. It might be possible, if someone is thus inclined, to discuss this elsewhere in the article. Wikipeterproject (talk) 06:23, 9 October 2009 (UTC)

Noted Australia Rules Football and EFC historian Robert Pascoe apparently mentions it here. Again I can’t be stuffed reading it all.

And apparently in this..

It’s all heresay…
I’m old enough to have been to plenty of games at Windy Hill. That nick name you deny was called out by members of the crowd.
Not by many, and not a lot of times. But it 100% was.
eg “Go you blood stained n………..”.

I’m old enough to have been to plenty of games at Windy Hill. That nick name you deny was called out by members of the crowd.

Further to this, South Melbourne were the ‘bloodstained angels’ - the foundation of the ‘bloods’ culture.

I don’t know why some Essendon fans are ashamed of their history. They don’t even know who they are!!

Further to this, South Melbourne were the ‘bloodstained angels’ - the foundation of the ‘bloods’ culture.

I don’t know why some Essendon fans are ashamed of their history. They don’t even know who they are!!
I never heard anyone call South “blood stained angels”. But “Go Bloods” etc was really common back in the old days for South.

Biggest tragedy for Essendon ( and for all supporters ) is they cant find that film or more film of John Coleman games

Apparently some bloke at the time had a theatre - and he would show film reels of Colemans games

If they could only find that vision it would be sensational

A bloody tragedy indeed. Only 12 full minutes or so survive.

What we would give to see other goal kicking legends on film too.

Collingwood’s Dick Lee (707 goals) has 10 seconds of him standing in a huddle

Bob Pratt and Gordon Coventry..if there hours of film of them all it would be fascinating to watch

That's not quite what happened, Essendon got kicked out of East Melbourne Cricket Ground (you might know it today as that big area where trains wait before going into the city loop) so they offered to merge with North and play games at Arden St. North were interested because they'd been trying to join the VFL since it started, but it ended up falling through after all of North's players signed with Essendon. Essendon ended up moving to Windy Hill, displacing Essendon Association. Essendon Association didn't have a ground and North didn't have a list, so those two clubs merged instead.

I'm sure Essendon went into it with the best of intentions, but there was some bitterness from North supporters that they ended up winning VFL flags with players like Syd Barker who were North Melbourne champions.
So an East Melbourne based club caused the death pf the real Essendon town club and also took North Melbourne based players too? :p This North and Bomber tension has a lot of history involved.
So 2022 the 100th anniversary of that clubs death?

Bullshit

I’m 51…went to over 100 games since 1977 at WH and I never heard it.

Never heard my old man say it or other adults around me. And there were plenty of die hard old timers who were obsessed with EFC.

If you heard it said a few times then it would’ve been by some ####wit who deserved a punch in the teeth

Last edited:
So an East Melbourne based club caused the death the real Essendon town club and also took North Melbourne based players too? :p This North and Bomber tension has a lot of history involved.
So 2022 the anniversary of that clubs death?

There were amateur clubs around Carlton too just like every other suburb.

The VFL was the elite competition.

So don’t be an idiot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit

I’m 51…went to over 100 games since 1977 at WH and I never heard it.

Never heard by old man say it or other adults around me.

If you heard it said a few times then it would’ve been by some ####wit who deserved a punch in the teeth
It probably was called out by idiots.
All clubs have them.
But it’s not bullshit.

I’m calling bullshit, lived half my life at the ground and never heard it once. Seen many and varied things there, heard all sorts. Not that.

There were amateur clubs around Carlton too just like every other suburb.

The VFL was the elite competition.

So don’t be an idiot.
I think if we want to look in detail of this period in history it is way too interesting to try to dismiss it like that. Worh examining in detail what was going on with these three clubs in this period that one based in real Essendon and killed off, another in East Melbourne and moved into the ground the Essendon team there was killed off and then also took North Melbourne players from Arden street to the club moving in on where Essendon town club killed off.
Did not Footscray that in rival competition of VFA beat the premiers in the VFL that in place of a traditional grand final of that football season not long after this?

Dame Nellie Melba's Appeal for Limbless Soldiers match
ResultFootscray (VFA) 9.10 (64) def. Essendon (VFL) 4.12 (36)
Date4 October 1924
Crowd46,100
StadiumMelbourne Cricket Ground
CityMelbourne

It probably was called out by idiots.
All clubs have them.
But it’s not bullshit.

Well I never heard it. And me and my old man stood up on the hill with the unwashed Essendon nuts.

In fact, the only memory of Windy Hill racism I can remember as a kid is a bloke behind the members goals who taunted Val Perovic at full back for an entire qrt calling him disgusting names at the top of his voice using the 3 letter word starting with W.

At halftime a Carlton supporter nearby had enough and walked up to him and punched the living s**t out him right there and then.

I’ll never forget it.

Perovic didn’t react once I might add. Didn’t turn around or even flinch. But he would’ve heard every word because this bloke did it while the ball was done the other end when things were quiet around us.

Last edited:
Interestingly it seems as though there is a reluctance from some in the Essendon supporter fraternity to acknowledge the club had an unpalatable moniker. That Essendon ran a club endorsed PED program. That Essendon got off lightly for intentional salary cap breeches that crippled Carlton. That a coach believed an Aboriginal player who was an integral part of the ‘92 and ‘93 would be unreliable in the ‘93 grand final for cultural reasons. That little Jobe deserves to keep his medal.

They don’t even know who they are and have an identity crisis. This documentary will be a cross between cluedo and guess who as we try and figure out which non- Essendon entity is responsible for Essendon failings that never happened …

Interestingly it seems as though there is a reluctance from some in the Essendon supporter fraternity to acknowledge the club had an unpalatable moniker. That Essendon ran a club endorsed PED program. That Essendon got off lightly for intentional salary cap breeches that crippled Carlton. That a coach believed an Aboriginal player who was an integral part of the ‘92 and ‘93 would be unreliable in the ‘93 grand final for cultural reasons. That little Jobe deserves to keep his medal.

They don’t even know who they are and have an identity crisis. This documentary will be a cross between cluedo and guess who as we try and figure out which non- Essendon entity is responsible for Essendon failings that never happened …
It’ll never tear us apart.

It’ll never tear us apart.

The 150 years of Essendon failings are the topic of this thread. If you can’t stay on topic on the main board, go hide in the Essendon echo chamber board and deny Bomber Thomson is a drug peddling criminal.

Back to 150 years of rubbish please

I think if we want to look in detail of this period in history it is way too interesting to try to dismiss it like that. Worh examining in detail what was going on with these three clubs in this period that one based in real Essendon and killed off, another in East Melbourne and moved into the ground the Essendon team there was killed off and then also took North Melbourne players from Arden street to the club moving in on where Essendon town club killed off.
Did not Footscray that in rival competition of VFA beat the premiers in the VFL that in place of a traditional grand final of that football season not long after this?

Dame Nellie Melba's Appeal for Limbless Soldiers match
ResultFootscray (VFA) 9.10 (64) def. Essendon (VFL) 4.12 (36)
Date4 October 1924
Crowd46,100
StadiumMelbourne Cricket Ground
CityMelbourne

One match ? Turn it up.

You know there many exhibition games were played by VFA vs VFL teams? Dozens of them.

Same as WAFL and SANF clubs playing VFL teams.

Albert Thurgood didn’t play for the other local Essendon club did he?

Essendon Town FC was a junior club ffs

You’re embarrassing yourself

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back