Toast 150 Years of Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon FC chose to depart Windy Hill because the Essendon Bowls Clubs wouldn’t give up their lease to their greens and allow them to redevelop the oval. The bowls club tried to merge with local clubs at the time - like Doutta Galla from memory - but other clubs baulked because it was seen to be a take over by EBC. So EFC moved to Tullamarine.

It would appear that EBC has agreed to merge with Buckley Park Bowls Club over the coming years and the combined club will play at the latter with new greens. The greens at both clubs are currently goat tracks, so new greens including carpet undercover will be a welcome improvement.

Interesting what will become of Windy Hill. I imagine the cricket club will go on playing there.

It's not - South Melbourne were colloquially named the blood stained angels and Essendon the blood stained n****ers.

Absolute rubbish on the Essendon one.

See my post before. There’s no actual proof anywhere that we were called that.

Colloquially would mean numerous examples in media using it.

There are none.

I am going for a walk around East Melbourne for sure to get a feel for this history.

If my memory serves me correctly and I'm in the right place, there should be 1 or 2 really old horse water troughs outside where these show us the ground once stood, that have been kept there. I also believe their is still a bit of the old cobblestone around that particular area.

History nerd stuff.
This is one of the Grandstands at the EMCG. Essendon FC shared it with East Melbourne Cricket Club.
View attachment 1239668EMCG is demolished after 1921. The East Melbourne Cricket Club move to Glenferrie Oval and merge with Hawthorn to form Hawthorn-East Melbourne Cricket Club.
But they loved their grandstand so much they moved it & rebuilt behind the goals at Glenferrie Oval.
There it is right behind the goals at Glenferrie.
View attachment 1239670
So Hawthorn used a grandstand for 40 years that once had Essendon fans in it!

Very interesting. Hawthorn also used that stand as their social rooms at Glenferrie for years is my understanding. It's now home to the Brass band of that area of Melbourne and actually the Victorian Weightlifting Association. A lot of sporting history in that grandstand.

Lol…a ******* bigfooty thread ..that’s your source ?

Hearsay hearsay and more hearsay

Not my source read it years ago I will try and find where I read it and post it. Just found this and have never seen this before.

I’ve already done it for you. Go back a few pages and see my google searches listed.

15 years on this forum and I’ve yet to see conclusive proof where it’s documented that the club used that moniker.

All we have is footy historians mentioning it in books saying certain few spectators would yell it out.

It certainly wasn’t a mainstream or popular nickname used by supporters.

It’s urban myth stuff.

If my memory serves me correctly and I'm in the right place, there should be 1 or 2 really old horse water troughs outside where these show us the ground once stood, that have been kept there. I also believe their is still a bit of the old cobblestone around that particular area.

Very interesting. Hawthorn also used that stand as their social rooms at Glenferrie for years is my understanding. It's now home to the Brass band of that area of Melbourne and actually the Victorian Weightlifting Association. A lot of sporting history in that grandstand.

The old stand from East Melbourne was demolished in 1966 and replaced with a new concrete grandstand. It’s in the same location. That’s the one you will be thinking of. That’s where the weightlifting is located.
Sadly the 1960-70’s saw a lot of demolition of heritage around the city.

Cool. I going to have a good gander when I can to check all this out.
Until last night I'd assumed the ground was actually where railway tacks and yards were but now I know different it interesting to go for walk in area and sense exactly where it was.

Theres good and bad no doubt. One of the most successful clubs having won 14 grand finals cannot be taken away.

However - Drug cheating will always be not just a stain, but part of their identity. Peptides are unfortunately part of the fabric of the club.

Even moreso with McGrath the pick no.1 poisoned fruits of their peptides scandal still on their list.

Parish too technically.

The malaise set in half way through 2015 after putting on a brave smile for two and a half years, they realised most of their list would be suspended the following year and stopped trying.

Luckily they butchered the McGrath pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has mostly recovered but it won't be behind you whilst poisoned fruits mcgrath is on the list.
Lmao we weren't handed the McGrath pick. You know who was handed multiple draft picks? Carlton for breaching the salary cap.
We still remain one of the only Victorian clubs to never receive a priority pick.
We finished last in 2016, which was only a little lower than our 15th-placed finish in 2015.
We were already banned from draft picks so we did our time.

The club and its supporters have well and truly moved on, unlike Juddernaut08 and some obsessed Carlton/North/Hawthorn fans. Seems to be a you problem.

Excellent. Wonder if any of those old taller terrace houses on Jolimont street are still there. Assume so. Might look for one in that photo.

They are. SJ compared an old pic with the current and showed where they are here:

Also, I’m fairly sure the building at the end of Wellington Crescent was designed in a semi-circle to resemble a grandstand around an oval.

They are. SJ compared an old pic with the current and showed where they are here:

Also, I’m fairly sure the building at the end of Wellington Crescent was designed in a semi-circle to resemble a grandstand around an oval.
Brilliant. That was exactly the house I was going to look for as a guide to where landmark area might be.

I have no love for Essendon and I don’t blame people who maybe were neutral on them and since the peptides thing began to hate them. But hecken hell let it go.
Keep hating them by all means but heck me dead it’s done, it’s happened, it’s like cats fans steaming at hawthorn because Matthews busted Neville Bruns’ face and bringing it up every five seconds in a hawthorn related thread - what the heck does it matter now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back