Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Red dot is approx where I lived. Green circle is ANZ. I used to go to the gym there. The years might have exaggerated this but I swear it used to take half an hour to walk there.

And you used to walk from Sunnybank shopping centre? I doubt any Broncos fan would do that how they're playing today lol.

View attachment 1230772
When I were a lad, I used to walk from the Newnham Rd end of Dawson Rd to Garden City or Dittmer Park on a dodgy knee, it's not that impractical.

A few of my old mans go to lines were- you bastard are you going to hold the lantern while your mother chops the wood...... you lazy streak of pelican sh*t..... get a f...ng haircut you big girl. Wasn't averse to using the strap or the thong either.
At least you turned out well Jason

You lazy streak of pelican s**t

Unfortunate he wore a thong as well

Last edited:
Red dot is approx where I lived. Green circle is ANZ. I used to go to the gym there. The years might have exaggerated this but I swear it used to take half an hour to walk there.

And you used to walk from Sunnybank shopping centre? I doubt any Broncos fan would do that how they're playing today lol.

View attachment 1230772
I used to catch a bus to Garden City and walk to QSAC for training. I don’t think that walk ever took me half an hour.

Late to the conversation but the Kessels/Mains road intersection used to be a nightmare even without the Broncos games, but it has drastically improved due to some major changes a few years ago.

Channel 9 just has a story on The Reserve.
The Lions AFLW team took a tour of the new site
A bit better view than seeing progress on the Time Lapse video
Not sure if other media were present
Here it is...

Wow, still can't help but lead in with a plug for Rugba League.

******* Wally.
It is an entire story about women's footy on the news for the channel which calls itself the home of rugby league. I think we can claim a win over League on this occasion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion - just a keen stadium nerd so i’ve been all over this, regularly checking the live stream and whatnot. Thought I’d share the most recent aerial shots of the ground:
View attachment 1249401
Looking really good! Exciting times
Me too, look at the live stream site all the time.
I could tell you how many besser bricks have been laid so far on the maintenance shed. :D
But you can't see too much on the cam on the main building ( far end) , this picture is awesome , wow again really taking shape.
Might have to go out for a drive on monday for a look.

Looking good.....and noticed up in the left hand corner that it will most likely need traffic lights to get out on to that main road. Will be a very busy corner I imagine. I guess it will be done in time though.

Below take from Hutchinson Builders Site

$58.3M
Project value
Weeks to build

Spectator grandstand

Hutchies is proud to be working with the Brisbane Lions Football Club on the construction of their new game-changing AFL training and playing facility in the thriving city of Springfield.
We’ve been working together through an early contractor involvement (ECI) process to complete the design development of the project while on-site civil preparation works were underway. The precinct will be built over the next 16 months ready for the 2023 AFL Women’s season and will secure around 400 local jobs throughout construction.
Known as ‘Brighton Homes Arena’, the precinct will be the new home of the AFLW team and includes the development of a new high performance training and administration centre for both men’s and women’s teams. The specially designed equal facilities will provide players with a state-of-the-art indoor training field (50m by 35m), recovery pools and a large gymnasium big enough to fit all athletes.

Spectators will watch matches from a new boutique arena with capacity for up to 10,000 and a grandstand seating 1,000 people. Locals can enjoy access to a range of public recreational facilities which will form part of the open community hub all-year round. The facility will have live broadcasting of major events through the latest technical media infrastructure.

Designed by globally-acclaimed sports architects and long-term Hutchies consultants, Populous, Brighton Homes Arena will be a world-class home and training centre for the Brisbane Lions. It will be a community asset the locals of Springfield will be proud of and its completion will mark the celebration of 166 years of Australian Football in Queensland.

Looking good.....and noticed up in the left hand corner that it will most likely need traffic lights to get out on to that main road. Will be a very busy corner I imagine. I guess it will be done in time though.
Yeh, does anyone know when they think they will be playing there?

It was scheduled for completion Sept. 2022 , but they may be playing, training there before that you'd think.
Would be good to see finishing schedules on the specific areas/ builds eg. field .
The way the project is going to date , progress has been pretty quick, and three months has made a massive difference.
I'm wondering if it's possible to see any of our girls play there next season ( March).
From that drone shot it looks like there is little build access for the stadium, main building/admin other than the use of the oval .
So I'm assuming those builds will have to be lock up stage with all concreting and heavy structure completed before any attempt on final ground work.

Below take from Hutchinson Builders Site

$58.3M
Project value
Weeks to build

Spectator grandstand

Hutchies is proud to be working with the Brisbane Lions Football Club on the construction of their new game-changing AFL training and playing facility in the thriving city of Springfield.
We’ve been working together through an early contractor involvement (ECI) process to complete the design development of the project while on-site civil preparation works were underway. The precinct will be built over the next 16 months ready for the 2023 AFL Women’s season and will secure around 400 local jobs throughout construction.
Known as ‘Brighton Homes Arena’, the precinct will be the new home of the AFLW team and includes the development of a new high performance training and administration centre for both men’s and women’s teams. The specially designed equal facilities will provide players with a state-of-the-art indoor training field (50m by 35m), recovery pools and a large gymnasium big enough to fit all athletes.

Spectators will watch matches from a new boutique arena with capacity for up to 10,000 and a grandstand seating 1,000 people. Locals can enjoy access to a range of public recreational facilities which will form part of the open community hub all-year round. The facility will have live broadcasting of major events through the latest technical media infrastructure.

Designed by globally-acclaimed sports architects and long-term Hutchies consultants, Populous, Brighton Homes Arena will be a world-class home and training centre for the Brisbane Lions. It will be a community asset the locals of Springfield will be proud of and its completion will mark the celebration of 166 years of Australian Football in Queensland.
Okay so 2023 season it is.

How long will we be displaced for? 3 years? Do we know when? 29, 30, 31?

Awesome its being upgraded, but scary prospect for retention, performance etc in that displacement window. I really hope it's not just Metricon.

I've seen a few speculate about potential homes in that time. I'd rather play infront of a jam packed 10k @ Springfeild that a sparce 10k at Metricon but I get we won't be able to host the Tigers etc there.

I saw an article on the Ekka upgrade potentially happening before the Gabba is demolished and them putting their hand up for AFL and Cricket.

Could that work? (sorry if it's already been asked).

How long will we be displaced for? 3 years? Do we know when? 29, 30, 31?

Awesome its being upgraded, but scary prospect for retention, performance etc in that displacement window. I really hope it's not just Metricon.

I've seen a few speculate about potential homes in that time. I'd rather play infront of a jam packed 10k @ Springfeild that a sparce 10k at Metricon but I get we won't be able to host the Tigers etc there.

I saw an article on the Ekka upgrade potentially happening before the Gabba is demolished and them putting their hand up for AFL and Cricket.

Could that work? (sorry if it's already been asked).

the answers to all your questions are discussed in this podcast

the answers to all your questions are discussed in this podcast

Thank you, it really did answer everything.

I feel better after listening to that. Still a huge challange.

Does anyone know when he spoke about Springfield bring increased to 20k - is that talking about doing another permanent stand, or.. looking at temporary stands?

I took from the
Thank you, it really did answer everything.

I feel better after listening to that. Still a huge challange.

Does anyone know when he spoke about Springfield bring increased to 20k - is that talking about doing another permanent stand, or.. looking at temporary stands?
I took from the podcast that both options are on the table. Personally I think they should just build for the extra capacity now. I literally live around the corner from the new facility so cannot wait for it to be completed. It is progressing really well.

I took from the

I took from the podcast that both options are on the table. Personally I think they should just build for the extra capacity now. I literally live around the corner from the new facility so cannot wait for it to be completed. It is progressing really well.

Yeah that would be ideal, suppose the question is.. who pays for it? would imagine doubling the capacity to 20k would be expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back