Prediction Best 22 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a stop gap, no doubt. However with Corr in the side, we are less reliant on him.

It is interesting because we may be making a decision between a KP forward and a KP defender. Could come down to Ziebell or Bonar being able to play tall. Ziebell has struggled a bit in body matchup so not sure he would fit but Bonar of early 2021 could do it, not Bonar end of 2021. That means we can play Comben and Larkey as the 2x KP forward with CCJ and Goldy swapping around in the ruck, forward and bench.

Post draft:

B: Bonar - McKay - Turner
HB: Ziebell - Corr - Hall
C: Powell - Greenwood - McDonald
HF: Thomas - Comben - Stephenson
F: Zuuhar - Larkey - CCJ
R: Goldy - Simpkin - LDU

Int: Taylor - Phillips - JHF - Mahoney

Rest: Goater - Perez - Atu - Ford - Curtis - Lazzaro - Scott - Walker

First thoughts are that midfield/forward depth...

Tough to leave Goater out with his versatility, but he'll get his chance early on i'd imagine. Got CCJ and Goldy rotating in the ruck and resting in the goalsquare with Comben and Larkey being the leading talls.

I've got Bonar and Ziebell to rotate as the 3rd talls. I thought they both showed last season they could do it. Wonder if Goater could play as a 3rd tall too?

Post draft:

Tough to leave Goater out with his versatility, but he'll get his chance early on i'd imagine. Got CCJ and Goldy rotating in the ruck and resting in the goalsquare with Comben and Larkey being the leading talls.

I've got Bonar and Ziebell to rotate as the 3rd talls. I thought they both showed last season they could do it. Wonder if Goater could play as a 3rd tall too?

I think you've nailed it for a round one team Hatchy.

Notes:
1. Ziebel or Bonar need to play on the third tall so we have a more mobile back six
2. Cunners out hurts but Greenwood in the middle is great cover
3. If Comben doesn't get up for round one then we throw CCJ to CHF and X on the bench
4. Lots of players competing for position including Mahoney's on the bench including Laz, Ford, Goater and Curtis
5. Perez will push hard for Turner's spot as the season progresses.
6. Imagine if Polac comes good - then there's pressure on our wingers to perform
7. Continuing improvement of Edwards and X is good news for our future ruck and forward stocks.

Let's go Roo boys!

B: Corr, McKay, Perez
HB: Ziebell, Comben, Hall
C: McDonald, Cunnington, Greenwood
R: Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin
HF: Stephenson, Zurhaar, Thomas
F: CCJ, Larkey, Horne-Francis
I: Anderson, Bonar, Phillips, Polec

E: Powell, Mahoney, J Walker, Xerri, Scott, Taylor, Lazzaro, Turner, Young, Ford, Atu, P Walker, Spicer, Haydon, McGuinness, Edwards, Lynch, Archer, Goater, Cuttis, Bergman

Out: Tyson, Menedue, W Walker, Atley, Garner, Ham, Tarrant, Campbell, Dumont
In: CCJ, Greenwood, Horne-Francis, Archer, Lynch, Goater, Curtis, Bergman

VFL
B: Young, J Walker, Turner
HB: Atu, McGuinness, Goater
C: P Walker, Haydon, Scott
R: Xerri, Powell, Lazzaro
HF: Mahoney, Lynch, Taylor
F: Ford, Edwards, Spicer
I: Archer, Curtis, Bergman

Post draft:

Pretty close to mine but Philips or Mahoney misses out for Perez or Atu as the 7th defender.

I also have CCJ on the bench and JHF starting but that is just semantics.

Don't think Turner and Ziebell will be best 22 come years end but they should start as of November.

Now we have our squad for 2022 who's keen to give this their best shot?

I am leaving Cunners out for obvious reasons but at the moment assuming all other players will be available

FB: Ziebell, McKay, Turner
HB: Hall, Corr, McDonald
C: Stephenson, Anderson, Lazzaro
HF: Thomas, CCJ, Ford
FF: Zurhaar, Larkey, JHF
Foll: Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin
Bench: Powell, Phillips, Greenwood, Bonar

Bolded players have just snuck in the team and have some heavy competition for their spots.

I have Bonar as the 7th defender but Young, Atu, Perez, Hayden, P Walker and to a lesser extent Goater will be fighting it out with him and Turner over pre season. Also J Walker could come in for Bonar if a team has 3 genuine tall forwards.

Fordy and JHF get the nod over Taylor and Mahony. Could easily see the situation reversed in R1 though.

Jed is in because Cunners is out, but he'll need to provide in a Half Forward role to keep his spot, otherwise Thomas slides up from the HFF and Taylor or Mahony come into the team.

Laz gets the nod over Polec and Scott because I love Laz but I can see any of the three starting on a wing in R1 next year.

KPD Depth: J Walker, McGuinness

General Defender Depth: Perez, Atu, Young, P Walker, Hayden, Bergman, Archer, Goater

Mid Depth: Scott, Polec, Goater, Spicer, Taylor, Mahony, Hayden, Young, P Walker, Bergman

KPF Depth: Comben, Edwards

General Forward Depth: Spicer, Taylor, Mahony, Curtis, Lynch, Scott

Ruck Depth: Xerri, Edwards

Inb4 lock

I’d swap Scott and Anderson, put greenwood in the starting 18 I’d be also tempted to have walker in for bonar, but that’s 50/50

I prefer a Best 22 of current players who will be still under-30 on Grand Final Day 2025

B: Turner, McKay, Bosenavulagi
HB: Goater, Young, Bonar
C: Davies-Uniacke, Powell, Stephenson
HF: Thomas, Comben, Horne-Francis
F: Spicer, Larkey, Zurhaar
Foll: Coleman-Jones, Simpkin, Phillips
Int: Xerri, Taylor, Scott, Mahony
Em: McGuinness, Perez, Edwards, P.Walker, Ford, Archer, Bergman, Curtis

Purely speculative. Yeah, we roll out with this team in Round 1, 2022 we get done. And there are some names here who won't make it. And others who may not want to be around in 2025. The back six look ordinary. But add three pre-seasons to each, add 60 games to most, add three years of FAs who can see what's going to happen here, add three years of trades and drafts filling in the holes around an elite midfield, add three years on embedding a game plan. And who's to say that Corr, McDonald and Anderson won't be impactful in 2025?

We didn't really replace Tarrant and we enter 2022 with a very vulnerable back half. Let's be honest though, we aren't winning the 2022 flag. The Melbourne model is build the midfield and the rest (May, Lever, Brown) will come. Melbourne's premiership 23 of 2021 had 22 under 30, no 200+ players but 14 between 100-200 (plus Fritsch at 84). Our list profile in 2025 looks like their 2021.

We have a coach and coaching staff respected across the AFL. A stable board. We're secure, profitable, professional. There are ups and downs ahead. But for the last 20 years I've felt that the club has only existed to survive. The last 5 years have been a black hole of ordinary. I feel that is behind us.

It's been over two years since I clapped along with "Join in the Chorus" after watching a NMFC win live. It's frustrating and I get the impatience to have all bases covered now. But I'm excited. We are finally trying to win a flag. But patience is still needed. Take steps forward in 2022 - get off the bottom, win a few more, play out games for longer, rely less on Cunnington/Goldstein/Ziebell, avoid thrashings, be exciting, stay patient. We're OK.

B Turner McKay Zieball
HB McDonald Corr Hall
C Powell Greenwood Phillips
HF Thomas Larkey Stephenson
F Zuurhuar CCJ Ford
FOLL: Goldstein LDU Simpkin
INTER: JHF, Perez, Goater, Taylor
Sub: Scott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't expect Perez to get games straight away considering his injury history, so I went with Young, who has a bit of height to help a shorter backline. Greenwood would probably rotate between half-forward and inside mid. Phillips is still building his tank and Ford offers real forward versatility, speed and marking power. I image if we went with three KPFs that we would rotate one through the bench. The undersized and aged defence is a serious concern still, but at least the draft and McGuiness' growth sport has sorted some of the issues.

B: Turner - McKay - Ziebell
HB: Hall - Corr - Bonar
C: Stevo - TT - L Mac
HF: Greenwood - CCJ - Mahoney
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - Ford
Foll: Goldy - Simpkin - LDU
I/C: Comben - Powell - JHF - Young

Emergencies: Laz, Taylor, Phillips

IMO Curtis Taylor is the one player that's consistently underrated in these best 22 posts. I get that we're stacked for medium forwards who can roll through the midfield, but I thought he showed a bit up on the wing last year as well as forward. He's bloody talented and so creative with the footy. I think we find a spot for him. Possibly more on the wing as I don't think we have a standout pair of wingers at the moment, mostly inside mids that will be pushed to the wing.

Last edited:
30yo+ first time premiership players in the last ten years who weren't brought in from other clubs
2021 - Nil
2020 - Nil
2019 - Nil
2018 - Mark LeCras, Shannon Hurn
2017 - Nil
2016 - Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
2015 - Nil
2014 - Nil
2013 - Nil
2012 - Nil

The model is clear. Bide your time. Develop your draft picks. Fill in your needs as you get closer and closer. Win a flag. We're on course.

IMO Curtis Taylor is the one player that's consistently underrated in these best 22 posts. I get that we're stacked for medium midfielders who can roll through the midfield, but I thought he showed a bit up on the wing last year as well as forward. He's bloody talented and so creative with the footy. I think we find a spot for him. Possibly more on the wing as I don't think we have a standout pair of wingers at the moment, mostly inside mids that will be pushed to the wing.
It’s a difficult balancing act with the flanks, wing and hf atm. Whether L Mac continues there, likewise Stevo and what happens with JHF and even Jy and TT at times.

Taylor is there and about the best 22 and I am a big fan of him, but I recognise that he had some poor moments this year. I didn’t put him in mine as I tried fitting in the three talls and Ford. I am a huge fan of the latter. In all likelihood, we won’t go with three talls and Ford.

B: Turner - McKay - Ziebell
HB: Hall - Corr - Lmac
C: Stevo - Greenwood - Powell
HF: Jed - CCJ - Mahoney
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - TT
I/C: Phillips - Powell - JHF - Young

Best guess.
I think Jed would be an excellent pressure forward and would love to see him get an extended run at it.
Comben is in most peoples teams. I don't think he is ready for round 1.
I think Lmac moves back to defence and hopefully replicates his 2020 form.

FB: Ziebell, McKay, Turner
HB: Corr, Walker, Hall
C: Thomas, LDU, McDonald
HF: Zurhaar, CCJ, Stephenson
FF: JHF, Larkey, Anderson
R: Goldstein, Greenwood, Simpkin
I/C: Powell, Phillips, Goater, Comben

EMG: Taylor, Mahoney, Scott, Perez

Phillips and Powell join the uber-mid-forward rotations with TT, Sleevo, LDU, Ando, Greenwood, JHF
Goater joins the mid-def rotations with LMac and the defenders
Comben rotates with Goldy, Larkey and CCJ

…and as others have pointed out, if McKay gets injured we are stuffed.

Last edited:
B: LMac - McKay - Ziebell
HB: Hall - Corr - Goater
C: Stevo - Greenwood - Powell
HF: JHF - CCJ - Thomas
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - Mahoney
I/C: Phillips - Jed - Perez - Taylor
Em: Lazarro - Scott - Ford - Comben

IMO Curtis Taylor is the one player that's consistently underrated in these best 22 posts. I get that we're stacked for medium forwards who can roll through the midfield, but I thought he showed a bit up on the wing last year as well as forward. He's bloody talented and so creative with the footy. I think we find a spot for him. Possibly more on the wing as I don't think we have a standout pair of wingers at the moment, mostly inside mids that will be pushed to the wing.
Agree 100%
I hope Taylor and Scott given a chance to play round 1, both at crucial time in careers and showed enough last year
I don’t think both Anderson and Greenwood need to be in same team.
I hope turner, hall and ziebell are pushed out by young talent at year end

B: Ziebell - McKay - McDonald
HB: Goater - Corr - Polec
C: Powell - Phillips - Stephenson
HF: Jason - Comben - Ford
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - Thomas
R: Goldstein - LDU - Simpkin
I/C: Greenwood CCJ Perez Anderson
Sub: Curtis

No Cunners :(
I like it 👍 love the confidence in the Goat straight away . No Bonar too.
I hope he really makes it but I just don’t see his value in the team that other posters put in him .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back