South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People criticise Kohli for being so combative but they need someone like him, most Indian captains and players are too meek and mild.

Gavaskar was one of the first Indian captains that stood up to the Aussies when he refused to go off for an lbw against Dennis Lillee.

As usual you are incorrect, he didn't object to the LBW but being told to '* off'. He was sick of the sledging and asked the non striker to walk off. The other batsman kept asking, 'surely you are joking', and eventually went back to the crease.

At least try to get your facts right. Nobody needs to be aggressive. I didn't like it from Australia or from any other team. Do the talking with bat and ball.

As usual you are incorrect, he didn't object to the LBW but being told to 'fu** off'. He was sick of the sledging and asked the non striker to walk off. The other batsman kept asking, 'surely you are joking', and eventually went back to the crease.

At least try to get your facts right. Nobody needs to be aggressive. I didn't like it from Australia or from any other team. Do the talking with bat and ball.

Correction. No one needs to be abusive. There is nothing wrong with aggression and some players and teams DO need it: I would suggest you watch fire in Babylon and check out what some aggression and meanness did for the West Indies. Their 20 year dynasty was founded on two things: an incredible raft of natural talent, and a desire to prove themselves as the equal of the game’s traditional power brokers and that latter part was founded on aggression and an unwillingness to take a backward step.

India’s rise has also leaned heavily on not taking a backward step. There is nothing wrong with aggression. When it becomes abuse or a concerted effort to be a c***, that’s when it is a problem

As usual you are incorrect, he didn't object to the LBW but being told to 'fu** off'. He was sick of the sledging and asked the non striker to walk off. The other batsman kept asking, 'surely you are joking', and eventually went back to the crease.

Well either way Gavaskar was one of the first Indian players to stand up against the big boy teams like Australia, England and the West Indies back in those days.

Up until then India were subservient to their colonial masters, Gavaskar was one of the best opening batsmen and one of the first Indians to step up Kohli style.

He's a true cricket legend, he paved the way for the modern day Indian players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back