Test India v England (5 Tests) + Ind A v Eng Lions (1 Tour Match and 3 FC games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would that have been possible or achieved with any other selection approach or tactical approach against this Indian attack?
I think you need to be playing ball on the half volley and coming to the pitch of the ball. Best way to play aggressive and negate the possible turn. Sarfaraz does this well when sweeping. And the ball was not bouncing as high, as per Shoaib Bashir and Ben Chod's wickets.

I wonder who will beat India there in a Test series and when. If it ever happens again

It could very well not be Australia or England, as their series are too long making it harder.
Looking at the future of Indian cricket, the pitches will probably be made to favour big hitters and Bumrah

Interesting.

If England get another dozen or so runs, they will have batted 10 times this series and passed 200 in 8 of those innings.

I’ve posed this question maybe 10 times in these match threads and no one has really given me a genuine answer:

Would that have been possible or achieved with any other selection approach or tactical approach against this Indian attack?
What? They have been hammered although I am sure they will feel their attacking style inspired the Indian batsmen.
Clearly their style of cricket hasn’t worked they have just given wickets away.

I think you need to be playing ball on the half volley and coming to the pitch of the ball. Best way to play aggressive and negate the possible turn. Sarfaraz does this well when sweeping. And the ball was not bouncing as high, as per Shoaib Bashir and Ben Chod's wickets.

I agree with this, I don’t think unless you are just a master of using the crease like a Lara or someone like that, that you can get away with NOT getting to the pitch of the ball, and it’s no coincidence that Crawley was the most convincing batsman for most of the series and he was the most prepared generally to use his feet

Maybe have another go reading it

I did.

Do you think they could have or would have fared any better changing their selection or playing differently.

In other words, do you think they have players who did not play, who could have impacted the outcome, or do you think the players they picked, are capable of playing a different way, which could have impacted the outcome.

Because the bare truth is: they dont

I did.

Do you think they could have or would have fared any better changing their selection or playing differently.

In other words, do you think they have players who did not play, who could have impacted the outcome, or do you think the players they picked, are capable of playing a different way, which could have impacted the outcome.

Because the bare truth is: they dont
I am implying any other style could not have resulted in such bad losses in the last 4 Tests.

I am implying any other style could not have resulted in such bad losses in the last 4 Tests.

other teams with batsmen playing any other style have copped such bad losses.

And even when England have PLAYED a different style it’s still failed.

For example in the previous test:

Playing attacking cricket set them up after the completion of the first innings where they could set a decent target and bowl India out and win the game.

They went limp in the second innings and lost the game. Go through the dismissals. Few were a result of attacking cricket. They got spooked.

At other times in the series absolutely they got themselves out with dumb shots - Crawley was cruising in one knock and tried to hit a ball out of the ground and got himself out, while Root tried a reverse ramp with 2-220 on the board and a batsman on 140 at the other end and his side ended up folding for f*** all.

Baz must have the cushiest gig in cricket. Sit in the pavilion, put your feet up, watch your batsmen get out often doing stupid things like Duckett today, have a laugh with those who've been dismissed, tell your players that a loss feels like a win and play golf with the lads.
I tend to agree, but I also wonder what McDonald is doing about the ridiculous batting going on in the Australian team lately.

After winning the first match by just 28 runs, they lost by 100 runs, 5 wickets, 400 runs and an innings and 60 runs.

Besides the first match which was a toss of the coin (and reliant on the one innings from a one innings wonder), that is comprehensive a flogging as you could ever see.

Yet the cult still like to try and put out the message that they have done better than anyone else.

200w.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree, but I also wonder what McDonald is doing about the ridiculous batting going on in the Australian team lately.
* all that’s what he’s doing.We lost Warner opening and then lose Smith at 4. Steve Smith opening is ridiculous, once he is out there is nothing in the middle order Head Marsh Carey all batting like it’s a 20/20 game and Cameron Green has more pressure at number 4 because he has those 3 behind him.
We have relied on one good innings to save us every match. The whole batting as a team has gone to s**t.

other teams with batsmen playing any other style have copped such bad losses.

And even when England have PLAYED a different style it’s still failed.

For example in the previous test:

Playing attacking cricket set them up after the completion of the first innings where they could set a decent target and bowl India out and win the game.

They went limp in the second innings and lost the game. Go through the dismissals. Few were a result of attacking cricket. They got spooked.

At other times in the series absolutely they got themselves out with dumb shots - Crawley was cruising in one knock and tried to hit a ball out of the ground and got himself out, while Root tried a reverse ramp with 2-220 on the board and a batsman on 140 at the other end and his side ended up folding for f*** all.
So isn't it an obvious case that you need not be either tortoise or hare? That there is a compromise? That one can attack when the opportunity offers and be defensive when the situation requires? England seem to have just the two gears. Great teams and their players can shift between both modes and have a couple of gears inbetween...

So isn't it an obvious case that you need not be either tortoise or hare? That there is a compromise? That one can attack when the opportunity offers and be defensive when the situation requires? England seem to have just the two gears. Great teams and their players can shift between both modes and have a couple of gears inbetween...

To me that’s just it.

They haven’t played especially frenetically and their dismissals have for the most part reflected that. There have been some that have been bad yes but it’s not just been a roll call of erratic strokeplay and if they showed a highlight package of each players dismissals from the whole series I think it would back that up

I’d say all of them have had some real bad ones, no denying that. But I reckon you could say that of any team if you showed them across a five test series.

Their opening stands have been good. That’s probably one unarguable takeaway. Root has to go back to playing his natural game BUT I think he plays better when he’s being positive, just not ‘scooping over slip’ positive

Stokes is batting like a man who is thinking about the criticism.

He is the one olayer out of all of them who shouldn’t be thinking about it too much.

His best batting is when he goes out there, takes 20-30 balls max to get his eye in, and then takes the bowling on. I suppose you could argue that his problem has been that he hasn’t survived long enough to do that. He’s had an awful series.

They are ripe for the picking for the West Indies if the Windies are smart.

If Kevin Wickham continues to make runs in the domestic comp we HAVE to pick him. He makes hundreds.

We need to go over there prepared to absorb their attacking approach and give it back to them - set a deep point and a deep third and bowl fast and aggressive and let them take it on. Who cares if it looks defensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back