Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Pig

pepe-why-pepe-the-frog.gif

Stargate was on telly last night.

Will never not watch if it just pops up, one my favourites. The chemistry with Spader and Russel is great and as good as the TV actors were, they never quite captured the characters and chemistry of the big names.

Followed by the tv series telemovies Stargate: Ark of Truth, which isn't the best but still watchable, and Stargate: Continuum, which I find quite good, by sci-fi telemovie standards, and maybe ahead of it's time with it's plot of time travel and multiverse which is all the rage now. If anything it ends too abruptly, I easily could've watched Continuum for another hour.

9/10
6/10
8/10

And I give whichever network decided a Stargate marathon on Satdy night was a good programming movie, 11/10.

Last edited:

Petite Maman - Didn't realise till after that this was written and directed by Celine Sciamma, who did Portrait of a Lady on Fire from a few years ago which is one of the best films of the last 5 years. Need to check out her earlier stuff because Petite is a really special follow-up. At only 70 minutes, feel like it's best not saying much about it other than it packs so much emotion and even mystery in that short run-time than like 90% of films do in 2hrs+. 9/10

The Northman - In the bag for Eggers and this is easily his biggest work to date. A visual feast, there's some truly wild imagery and scenes, yet it is probably his most accessible film. The story is pretty straightforward - basically Hamlet - Kidman and Claes Bang are the standout performances. There's probably a version of this that goes full tilt into the Nordic mysticism, but at the end of the day this is still the type of film that makes you want to scale a fort with an axe. 8/10

About Time

Good solid cheesy romcom with a strong cast (shout out to Margot Robbie's terrible british accent), incredibly painful failed courtships, multiple nice little meet cutes, oh and Rachel McAdams being Rachel McAdams. Had no real intention of watching it till I actually hit play, but was a decent way to spend two hours.

Unchartered

I'd give it 1 star out of 5

Terrible.

Devolves into a far less self aware Fast and Furious. At least those films know what they are. When you have the games themselves, movies like Indy and National Treasure.....was just a paint by numbers action movie.

Casting bar Banderas was horrid.

I didn't have much expectation going into this and was still disappointed.

Terrible.

Devolves into a far less self aware Fast and Furious. At least those films know what they are. When you have the games themselves, movies like Indy and National Treasure.....was just a paint by numbers action movie.

Casting bar Banderas was horrid.

I didn't have much expectation going into this and was still disappointed.
Lol the FnF films, as I have said before, are not that self aware outside The Rock. There's too much attempted sentimentality to be self aware.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol the FnF films, as I have said before, are not that self aware outside The Rock. There's too much attempted sentimentality to be self aware.

Self aware probably not the best term, not trying to be anything else than what it is I suppose? FnF is the ultimate B-Grade movie franchise. Cringe sentimentality mixed with implausible action sequences. Same formula each movie since the early sequels but somehow people love them. (For me they're a guilty pleasure)

I guess my problem with Uncharted was it was trying to be a handful of things but failed miserably at all of them. A bit reminiscent how the Star Wars sequels (sorry for bringing up the dead horse of the board) were handled.

Established IP that had way too much studio influence.

Alien (1979, Disney+) - Great worldbuilding and development of tension immediately hooked me. Cool protagonist. Main negative was the difference between dialogue (soft) and special effects (loud). Being a classic film I already knew the classic scene and ending unfortunately. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5/10.

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022, cinema!) - Completing a good run of films was this multiverse for a normal family action/drama/comedy/extravaganza. Like most films better the less you know prior. Acting of main character a highlight as was the rock scenes. Also 8.5/10.

Self aware probably not the best term, not trying to be anything else than what it is I suppose? FnF is the ultimate B-Grade movie franchise. Cringe sentimentality mixed with implausible action sequences. Same formula each movie since the early sequels but somehow people love them. (For me they're a guilty pleasure)

I guess my problem with Uncharted was it was trying to be a handful of things but failed miserably at all of them. A bit reminiscent how the Star Wars sequels (sorry for bringing up the dead horse of the board) were handled.

Established IP that had way too much studio influence.

The term is possibly 'not taking itself too seriously'.

There is room - billions of dollars worth of room - for movies that don't aim to be Oscar winners or preachy or satirical or aim to make a point. I enjoy how F&F are trying to make their action sequences and plots more and more implausible since the first three which were somewhat grounded, the box office reflects what audiences want.

If you asked me whether I want to spend $11 to watch F&F 10 or some middling drama, the choice is very easy.

The term is possibly 'not taking itself too seriously'.

There is room - billions of dollars worth of room - for movies that don't aim to be Oscar winners or preachy or satirical or aim to make a point. I enjoy how F&F are trying to make their action sequences and plots more and more implausible since the first three which were somewhat grounded, the box office reflects what audiences want.

If you asked me whether I want to spend $11 to watch F&F 10 or some middling drama, the choice is very easy.

I find no amount of sanitised action scenes can cancel out the preachy 'family' sentiments hamfisted throughout.

Ambulance. Lol.

So many ridiculous things in this film.

There was cool drone shot where it flew under one stunt car then over another. They prob destroyed 20 drones to get the shot though.

Far out. Watched this tonight.

Such a Michael Bay film.

I find no amount of sanitised action scenes can cancel out the preachy 'family' sentiments hamfisted throughout.

THe most recent one was absolutely terrible with this.

I think Vin GENUINELY believes he is making high drama art and when he has too much control its pure garbage.

THe most recent one was absolutely terrible with this.

I think Vin GENUINELY believes he is making high drama art and when he has too much control its pure garbage.
He described his feud with Dwayne Johnson as being a result of his 'not quite Fellini-eseque' dedication to filmmaking and trying to help Johnson 'embody the character of Hobbs'. So yeah, he's a pretty pompous ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back