Essendon gifted 3 Friday Night's in a row

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL is taking the piss surely. Even I don't want to ruin Friday night footy watching the rubbish Essendon has dished up this season.

They do this regularly, try to pick winners and fail. A while back some boffin though Carlton were going to come good and scheduled them all over Friday nights, same thing happening after Bombers late run last year.

I thought the floating fixture was to put exciting match ups in the prime time slots. Essendon vs Carlton fair enough, big enough game no matter how bad the teams are. Round 14 seems like a s**t round of footy all up. Round 15 is the worst one of the 3 by far who wants to see Eagles vs Essendon on a friday night, at least we have another game to watch

Just. How? Carlton on our 150th anniversay makes sense but the second and third ones don't make much sense at all. I mean West Coast and Essendon are both bottom 4 now!

The one against West Coast doesn't really count as it'll be the Foxtel game. Am shocked we got two Friday night home games against Victorian opposition!

They do this regularly, try to pick winners and fail. A while back some boffin though Carlton were going to come good and scheduled them all over Friday nights, same thing happening after Bombers late run last year.
Yeah but they bought the floating fixture in as a result of that Carlton debacle.

Yeah but they bought the floating fixture in as a result of that Carlton debacle.
It was actually some time later. They brought it in because of COVID.

Still doesn't make sense though

You can't say that the AFL is trying to pick a winner with this though....

Fair play to the Essendon fan posting this thread though.

Seriously, West Coast Essendon should be a Sunday graveyard slot. It'll be borderline unwatchable. Glad the Carlton game is on a Fri night though as that matchup has been shunted into poor timeslots for years.
The wb one could actually be a good contest but I reckon the dogs have had too many primetime fixtures already. Freo, Saints, Dees and Lions are the standout teams and have earned fri/sat night fta exposure imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The afl are just about the most amateurish outfit in world sport when it comes to this stuff. Imagine looking at that Freo v brisbane game in round 12 after the start both sides have made this season and thinking - yeah, let’s put them on KAYO on Sunday afternoon.

The floating fixture was supposed to put good teams in the best time slots? In fact, I think it’s doing the opposite.
It’s allowing the AFL to carefully ensure big Victorian clubs are always on Friday or Saturday nights no matter what happens or how well other teams are going.
The bullshit from Travis Auld that Fremantle “need to play an attractive brand and win more games to get better time slots” has been exposed as total lies.
VFL, always and forever.

Seriously, West Coast Essendon should be a Sunday graveyard slot. It'll be borderline unwatchable. Glad the Carlton game is on a Fri night though as that matchup has been shunted into poor timeslots for years.
The wb one could actually be a good contest but I reckon the dogs have had too many primetime fixtures already. Freo, Saints, Dees and Lions are the standout teams and have earned fri/sat night fta exposure imo
We have St. Kilda as the middle one

The AFL is taking the piss surely. Even I don't want to ruin Friday night footy watching the rubbish Essendon has dished up this season.
Have to agree. Essendon could enter round 13 with only 2/3 wins. The Carlton one I can get, likely part of Essendon’s fixture submission last year for their 150th. The others make no sense. Maybe Essendon get reasonable luck as consideration for being a good reliable tenant at Marvel Stadium🤔

Last edited:

It’s the second Friday game and not on FTA into Melbourne, it is the graveyard spot.

Have to agree. Essendon could enter round 13 with only 2/3 wins. The Carlton one I can get, likely part of Essendon’s fixture submission last year for their 150th. The others make no sense. Maybe Essendon get reasonable luck as consideration for being a good reliable tenant at Marvel Stadium🤔
Even the Carlton one I'd have Saturday night.

Essendon v West Coast is a friday night because of the state of origin in Perth on sunday June 26.

The NRL need the ground on the Saturday to prepare the ground and both teams get to train on it before the match.

At the start of the year the AFL would have eyed off that game as the thursday night game for the round.

Because both have been garbage they have shunted it to the 2nd Friday night game away from FTA instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back